Sponsored by:

Insurance solution to RMS and IMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wisky
The fact of the matter is that if 1 in 100 early 997's are affected by the IMS issue which costs $25k to fix (estimate), and the warranty costs $2000 for 3 years - then the warranty company is receiving $175k in profit for every 100 cars.
Sorry Wisky, but you are not allowed to say "fact" and "if" in the same sentence. ;-)

Seriously though, whats missing is not that it affects 1 in 100 cars, but WHEN does it affect them. If you test over the 3 year warranty period (maybe that was implied), or does it affect 1 in 100 cars over 10 years?

If there is a 1% chance that your 997 will have the covered failure during the 3 year covered period, then your expected (as in statistics/math terminology) cost is 1% of the cost of the repair = 1% of $25,000, which is $250. As you implied, that is for the average person in a large enough group. So you would pay $2000 for insurance to protect against a statistically likely $250 loss average loss. This means that most folks will pay for insurance they will not need, but some small amount will find out it was so worth it as they have the failure.

The insurance co. profit assumes they have a sufficiently large pool of insured cars (which one can assume, as the insurance company is also doing the math), but more importantly, nothing no other repairs are needed by anyone. If the only ones that purchase the insurance are those that know they are at high risk, then their profit would be lower.

The bottom line, I think, is we all know the insurance company would not be selling the policies if they didn't make money on them. The question is, how confident are you in knowing if you are in or out of the 1% (assumed) that has this expensive failure?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Sorry Wisky, but you are not allowed to say "fact" and "if" in the same sentence. ;-)

Seriously though, whats missing is not that it affects 1 in 100 cars, but WHEN does it affect them. If you test over the 3 year warranty period (maybe that was implied), or does it affect 1 in 100 cars over 10 years?

If there is a 1% chance that your 997 will have the covered failure during the 3 year covered period, then your expected (as in statistics/math terminology) cost is 1% of the cost of the repair = 1% of $25,000, which is $250. As you implied, that is for the average person in a large enough group. So you would pay $2000 for insurance to protect against a statistically likely $250 loss average loss. This means that most folks will pay for insurance they will not need, but some small amount will find out it was so worth it as they have the failure.

The insurance co. profit assumes they have a sufficiently large pool of insured cars (which one can assume, as the insurance company is also doing the math), but more importantly, nothing no other repairs are needed by anyone. If the only ones that purchase the insurance are those that know they are at high risk, then their profit would be lower.

The bottom line, I think, is we all know the insurance company would not be selling the policies if they didn't make money on them. The question is, how confident are you in knowing if you are in or out of the 1% (assumed) that has this expensive failure?

I would be 99% confident that I would not be experiencing the failure .

Slightly off topic - how much is the fail-safe IMS fix? Isn't it around $3k installed for the LN Engineering kit for a 997?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may also be worth a search of the 996 board... they have direct experience with aftermarket waranties... they may not pay out exactly as expected... or even be in business after a few years
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Infractions for insults issued. FWIW, IMS failures are just a small portion of things which can go wrong., Price out a catalytic converter for example.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Slightly off topic - how much is the fail-safe IMS fix? Isn't it around $3k installed for the LN Engineering kit for a 997?
Go into the LN Engineering web site. They have a very informative write up on the IMS bearing. Search products, models, IMS upgrades. Note the part about the M97 motor, MY06-08. It requires a motor tear down to replace the bearing.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Infractions for insults issued. FWIW, IMS failures are just a small portion of things which can go wrong., Price out a catalytic converter for example.
Seriously, don't you have anything better to do?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
.... researchers are bound by ethics and in most cases the conditions of their grant, to publish their results regardless of whether their hypothesis is proved or disproved by the data. The patently false insinuation you make, if not for its laughable ignorance, is insulting and borders upon libel. .....

Oh the irony of this pretentious comment when, in another thread Palmbeacher declares:

”In the healthcare professions we're inundated with statistics on everything. I'm convinced that most of the researchers bank on us being too busy to look beyond the "conclusions" paragraph and take a critical look at the methodology. otherwise a whole host of things jump out that lead to suspect corrupt data.
https://rennlist.com/forums/7542721-post25.html

Wow.

Sounds like libel to me
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i thought kit was about $600 and install was about a grand.
usually people get that done together with clutch when transmission goes down so costs combine, I never heard of anybody doing just IMS fix alone.

$3K is more realistic for newer cars where you cannot get out bearing from outside and need to take engine apart.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
usually people get that done together with clutch when transmission goes down so costs combine, I never heard of anybody doing just IMS fix alone.

$3K is more realistic for newer cars where you cannot get out bearing from outside and need to take engine apart.
I came up with the $3k estimate using $800 for the LN Engineering IMS Fix, and 14hrs @ $140/hr labor rate as quoted on the LN Engineering website for early 997's. I added a few hundred for good measure .

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Good point, I remember on my old E39 M5, cats were upwards of $2k each for the part alone!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What, we cannot just install straight pipe to replace them and disable the O2 sensors? ;-)
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
pabafree95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come on guys! a few of you need to go get laid or something...jeeeez... then come back to the forum once you grow up and stop being such assmunchers.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by boolala
Oh the irony of this pretentious comment when, in another thread Palmbeacher declares:

”In the healthcare professions we're inundated with statistics on everything. I'm convinced that most of the researchers bank on us being too busy to look beyond the "conclusions" paragraph and take a critical look at the methodology. otherwise a whole host of things jump out that lead to suspect corrupt data.
https://rennlist.com/forums/7542721-post25.html

Wow.

Sounds like libel to me
So, you're an attorney also, in addition to a physician? Interesting. I got my MD from UF and my JD from FSU...where did you get yours? I'm just curious because I want to be sure not to send my kids there...given that thus far everything you've said points to an atrocious lack of knowledge of either field.

The way you edit so as to quote completely out of context, assuming the readers are lazy and unintelligent, does reek of a community-college journalism degree, though
Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

I am actually pricing out the cost of the LN bearing upgrade by a local shop right now.

My car was CPO'd up until Feb 3rd. While under CPO, I developed an RMS leak.

The dealer replaced the RMS seal with the newest version. I called Sunset Porsche and got a great price on a new oem clutch kit. My car only had 35k on it at the time but the clutch pedal was really stiff. When I took the car to the dealer I told them to put the new clutch kit in when they reinstalled the trans.
They did it with no issue. So I got the RMS replaced and a brand new clutch,pressure plate, and throw out bearing all for the cost of the clutch kit
($530).

I have decided not to go with an aftermarket warranty but I feel I do need to address the IMS bearing for the long haul.

On the 996 motors (installed up until the end of the 05 model year IIRC),
the single row LN bearing is $519 and the dual row (for the 99-01 cars) is $595 (from Pelican parts)

I'm hoping the local well trusted indie will not beat me up too bad just for the install of the IMS bearing.

My car has just over 40k on the clock.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Saving $135 net per month.

I'd like to thank Boolala for the volumes he has added to this thread. Instead of taking an Ambien CR before bed I now pull up this thread and start reading his/her dribble on insurance and all things tangent.

I'd like to continue but just thinking about it in the middle of the day has suddenly caused my eyelids to droop. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 AM
turbosimon
Track Day

Originally Posted by TAI2
I am going with Fidelity Warranty (www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com) for my extended warranty contract. They do cover IMS and RMS failures (and the resulting damage) under their basic Powertrain coverage. Pricing depends upon you car year and mileage. As a reference point I have a 2005 997S with 12K miles and the basic coverage for 4 years/48,000 miles is $2277. Not bad considering the cost of an IMS failure.

For an extra $600 I basically will get total car coverage for many many other items. I am buying this through a local Porsche dealer in NJ. All warranty work can be done by Porsche or any "Legal Repair Shop that is ASE CERTIFIED" per the contract.
Here is a quote I got for Fidelity Warranty..for 2005 911 (997 C2) with 35k miles. About $4000 for the total coverage for 2 year,,, too expensive.
Where did you get your warranty? I will be very happy with your pricing.

Term/Mileage - $100 / $50 disappearing deductible

2yr/24k $3939 / $4466

3yr/36k $5011 / $5774

4yr/48k $6189 / $7211

4yr/60k $7135 / $8335

5yr/60k $8090 / $9290

Quick Reply: Insurance solution to RMS and IMS