Sponsored by:

Cleveland Porsche/Audi Shake-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 AM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleveland Porsche/Audi Shake-up

It looks like there has been a change in ownership in the Cleveland area...two Dealerships have been taken over by Penske Automotive.

Fred Baker Porsche/Audi in January 1/1.

and now, Stoddard Porsche/Audi effective 2/1.

I've dealt with Stoddard and Fred Baker dealerships with my Audis. I purchased my new 911 under Stoddard (post-Austrian/factory ownership).

With the changes, it looks like there will be one centralized Porsche dealership at some point. The change makes it a 1.5-2.0 hour ride one way.

Outside of the crappy roads, it looks like the car will now have to rack up about 200 miles just for an oil change at a Porsche dealership. I am definitely now going to research doing my own wrenching on easy maint. items.

I hope some of the long-term good guys at Stoddard are able to stay with the new owners.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have a dealer 10 miles away and I still don't go there for an oil change. Learn how do it yourself. It's fun and easy.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Crossfire190
Advanced

I just purchased my 06 C2S cab from Stoddard... Where did you hear about the shakeup? Where will the "new" dealer be located?
I am also from NW PA.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If consolidation occurs, that will leave 2 in the area. Porsche North Olmsted with excellent service and another one south of Cleveland, but I can't remember the name - it's a small dealer with Mazda also.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

The info was printed in the PCA Northern Ohio Region "Voices From the Trunk" February newsletter. I knew about the Baker purchase in January but this is news regarding Stoddard.

The new dealership is going to be located in the Beechwood area on Chagrin Blvd near Richmond.

I don't think this will make too many Porsche owners happy in my neck of the woods, since Stoddard is the factory Porsche dealer/service for the area. Stoddard is about an hour and 10 minute drive with pretty quick access to I-90. I hope the new dealership continues to offer drop-off and pick-up service (I prefer to drive my own car) and loaner cars.

In Canfield, there's a small Porsche/Saab dealer, Armando's.

I don't know when all this goes into play regarding Stoddard. I expect to get something from them.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
If consolidation occurs, that will leave 2 in the area. Porsche North Olmsted with excellent service and another one south of Cleveland, but I can't remember the name - it's a small dealer with Mazda also.
That one is in the Cuyahoga Falls, Cascade is the name of it. I don't go there unless I am picking up a part that I can only get at the dealer. Not me, but some other friends that I know haven't had good service from them in the past. Plus, with Steinels being so close (25 minutes) from me, I end up just going there and getting I think better service then most if not all dealers I have been to in the past.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:01 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the prices these dealerships change hands at? I guess more that just outright price(which means little), but some price/valuation metric? Very curious what the economics are. Thanks and sorry for the hijack.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM
DLennox
Banned

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
If consolidation occurs, that will leave 2 in the area. Porsche North Olmsted with excellent service... .
I bought mine at North Olmsted and have been happy with the service so far. It is about a 2hr ride for service from Erie, but we get a loaner car and run up to Crocker Park while the service is done.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought the car from Baker I had them set me up with the first oil change as part of the deal.
I had the oil changed back in October before I put it away for the winter... Looks like I got lucky on that one.
I never got a notice of the change of ownership.. Actually, I hope it's a change for the better.. Wasn't really happy with the dealership as it was....

North Olmsted Porsche is twenty minutes from the house and I've had some good experience with them.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 AM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

I haven't received anything from Stoddard regarding the sale. Their website redirects to Bakers (Porsche of Bedford) saying that as of 3/14 the Porsche side of Stoddard will close and all stuff will be done at Baker's until the new site is completed.

Pretty poor communication to the customers. I haven't visited North Olmsted....it's a bit of a hike. In PA, we're required for a yearly mechanical inspection and the county is required for emissions testing. Currently I take it to a non-Porsche dealer to do the inspection but really do not like them touching the car.

Since Baker is a bit of a hike now, I might head to Sewickley Porsche--they'll be able to do the inspection certifications. Getting there is a major PITA....very poor roads. Baker isn't much better. I don't know how some of the GT cars without lift would be able to drive out of Baker's lot without nailing the sacrificial strip right off the bat, let alone the huge potholes leading to and from the dealership.

Penske could really do a better job contacting their customers--or they just don't care.

I hope a few of the good guys at Stoddard were able to stick around. Their service was decent on Porsche (lucky, only did oil changes). I have a lot of experience with their Audi service. Let's say I haven't owned an Audi since 2005.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 AM
linklaw
Advanced

I thought there was a dealership in Ohio about halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie called Armando's. I remember buying a Boxster hardtop from them about five years ago and recall they are a new car dealership. I just checked and it is on Rte 224 in Canfield Ohio.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MG's Fast Fish
I haven't received anything from Stoddard regarding the sale. Their website redirects to Bakers (Porsche of Bedford) saying that as of 3/14 the Porsche side of Stoddard will close and all stuff will be done at Baker's until the new site is completed.

Pretty poor communication to the customers. I haven't visited North Olmsted....it's a bit of a hike. In PA, we're required for a yearly mechanical inspection and the county is required for emissions testing. Currently I take it to a non-Porsche dealer to do the inspection but really do not like them touching the car.

Since Baker is a bit of a hike now, I might head to Sewickley Porsche--they'll be able to do the inspection certifications. Getting there is a major PITA....very poor roads. Baker isn't much better. I don't know how some of the GT cars without lift would be able to drive out of Baker's lot without nailing the sacrificial strip right off the bat, let alone the huge potholes leading to and from the dealership.

Penske could really do a better job contacting their customers--or they just don't care.

I hope a few of the good guys at Stoddard were able to stick around. Their service was decent on Porsche (lucky, only did oil changes). I have a lot of experience with their Audi service. Let's say I haven't owned an Audi since 2005.
I just received a mailer about the upcoming changes from Penske. There is phase 1 and phase 2.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

Optical,

Did you buy from Baker or Stoddard?

I was on Stoddard's email list and haven't gotten anything for several weeks. Maybe something will come in the mail shortly--with nicer weather around the corner, people are going to want to get their cars out of storage and back on the roads. I know quite a few Porsche owners in my area are Stoddard customers.

I would assume Stoddard's previous owner would have kept their customer data base--maybe not, LOL.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IMHO, when Penske bought out the Porsche dealer in Tysons Corner here, things improved on several levels. Hope for the best.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Question

[QUOTE=MG's Fast Fish;8388304] Currently I take it to a non-Porsche dealer to do the inspection but really do not like them touching the car.[QUOTE]

MG's Fast Fish:

Where do you take your car? I have to get mine inspected and don't know who I can trust...

Quick Reply: Cleveland Porsche/Audi Shake-up