Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light / Vist Workshop message

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check Engine Light / Vist Workshop message

My 997 S has been sitting for a couple of months while Ive been away.

When I put my snow tires on in November there was no check engine light -- and I also took off the exhaust tips and steel wooled them.

I drove it about 1/4 mile before parking it.

I have just put a new battery in it about 6-8 months ago, so it started just fne without maintainer 2 months later.

When I started it up -- it as showing the engine symbol as well as a message saying "Check Engine Light / Visit workshop)"

Thought it might be low on oil - so checked and added about 3/4 of a quart. It was running fine -- no weird sounds out of the engine or anything of the sort

I took it for a 30-40 mile drive and the light stayed on the whole time - but the car ran fine -- I noticed that I was experiencing a shake between 70-90km/h but that is likely just a balancing isse with my new snowies - which are factory sizes

I then searched the Rennlist archives, and checked the oil cap, ran the car with the gas cap off awhile, and restated, n luck.

Any ideas on what this could be ?

Thanks in advance
oh - and if it maters, my build date is July of 04
Old 02-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When the engine senses anything unusual, it will throw such check engine/workshop messages up.

My car sat for 2 months in the garage during Nov-Jan, and when I finally go the winter tires installed and fired it up the car reacted as every car I've had that sat for many many weeks uncranked. It sputtered a bit, and awful cloud and stank came out of the exhaust, and it ran rough for a minute or so... the engine light came on as well. As it sat there idling, things smoothed out and eventually the check engine light went off.

if the light stays on, is worth reading out the error code with an OBD type tool to understand the issue and possibly take it into the shop.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

any harm in just unplugging the positive wire from the battery for a minute or so to reset ?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be an issue with the emissions system -- that, according to my dealer, is the most common reason the light goes on. Mine indicated a problem with a carbon cannister of some kind (forget the exact name of the part). I would get it checked out bc these things can apparently get screwed up if you leave them unchecked.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

How long is the emissions warranty on 997s?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you changed the exhaust tips, did you use WD-40 or anything like it ?

Ive heard this can screw up the O2 sensors.... i think i did this to my 996 :-(

You can get an iphone app (or ipod) called GoLink, to check the OBD2 messages and re-set if necessary. The codes are on Renntech
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning, message came up saying the oil level sensor is broken. A few minutes later additional message saying oil temp sensor broken.

Drove to work, thought nothing of it. Took car out for lunch and check engine light came on. Took it straight to dealer (CPO) and left it with them. Heard a flapping noise on right rear while driving there so no idea what that is! They suspect the oil sensor is broken - will hear more tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

If disconnecting battery always remove negative connection first and reconnect last to prevent damage to electronics
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

I have had multiple CEL events over the years. I have a 997 Carrera with build date 9/2004. Now passed 107,500 miles. Best car I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Bring car to dealer and analysis of fault codes will most likely show Mass Air-flow Sensor fault or oxygen sensor faults. Engine will run fine for awhile even with type faults in the early stages of sensor failure--there is a "optimal" range of performance with these sensors--even if performance drops off this optimal range just slightly, the CEL event is triggered. I replaced all 4 oxygen sensors at about 90,000 miles due to a CEL event. Then a couple of months ago, I had to change both catalytic converters and the Mass Air-flow sensor for another CEL event.

Just remember: a yellow CEL light that is continuous is not an emergency--just needs to be checked out soon; a red, flashing CEL light means, "holy sh__". shut down the engine NOW!!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
My 997 S has been sitting for a couple of months while Ive been away.
When I started it up -- it as showing the engine symbol as well as a message saying "Check Engine Light / Visit workshop)"
just do what it says - find somebody with PIWIS or durametric and read that CEL code. after that you will know what to do.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:38 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 05 997S, 27,000 miles, it sat from November to say late March, same problem, CEL, visit work shop, I have been driving it a lot hoping it will go out, but it won't. Any feed back on disconnecting the battery?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
I have an 05 997S, 27,000 miles, it sat from November to say late March, same problem, CEL, visit work shop, I have been driving it a lot hoping it will go out, but it won't. Any feed back on disconnecting the battery?
Would be nice to know the error code(s).

I assume the engine's otherwise running ok?

If so it may just be stale gas compounded with some partially plugged injectors.

Fresh gas along with some good gas treatment can help.

However, when I hear, read about a car running not right after sitting a while I always have to bring up the possibility of rodent infestation. These critters can gnaw around and damage wiring and sometimes the only outward sign of their presence is the car act up, doesn't run right. (I encountered a 996 Turbo engine out of the car at a dealer oh about a year ago now. The reason? Owner brought car in all upset about CEL and car not running right. Tech started looking into possible causes and spotted a huge pile of rodent litter on top of the underbody panels. Remove the panel and it was obvious the rats had been in the car a long time. The engine had to come out of the car to replace the engine harness and some hoses other items the rodents gnawed on. Very expensive repair, but I think the car owner's homeowners policy covered the bulk of it.)

Anyhow, to extinquish the CEL and remove the 'visit workhop' message I think you'll need to pay the dealer a visit.

You can try disconnecting the battery, but I think this is a very crude technique. There is a risk to the car that if the battery is not disconnected or reconnected properly the engine controller or other sensitive car electronics could be damaged.

After you reconnect the battery various things will need attention. The window limits have to be reset. The E-Gas system needs to be recalibrated. The engine controller will need engine run time to relearn fueling it lost when power was lost.

What specifically needs doing and how should be covered in your owners manual. Read the section on what to do before and after a battery disconnect/reconnect.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:59 AM
Goldy419
3rd Gear

I have a 997 Targa 4S and now have a flashing check engine light.
Recent events: I changed the oil 4 days ago- Mobile one 0-40w. oil level is good and used OEM filter. no leaks.- Filled up with gas last night. Got a steady CEL at 1200 today. Assumed it was the gas cap. I tightened it. at 4:00 today I got a flashing CEL and it seems to be running rough to me. I immediately parked it. I assume I will tow it to the shop. Any help on this? Could it be bad gas? or most likely a emission issue- O2 sensor or catalytic converter etc... Thanks, Kyle
Old 04-30-2015, 02:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldy419
I have a 997 Targa 4S and now have a flashing check engine light.
Recent events: I changed the oil 4 days ago- Mobile one 0-40w. oil level is good and used OEM filter. no leaks.- Filled up with gas last night. Got a steady CEL at 1200 today. Assumed it was the gas cap. I tightened it. at 4:00 today I got a flashing CEL and it seems to be running rough to me. I immediately parked it. I assume I will tow it to the shop. Any help on this? Could it be bad gas? or most likely a emission issue- O2 sensor or catalytic converter etc... Thanks, Kyle
You don't need any help if you are having the car taken to the shop for diagnosis and repair.

The tech will read the error codes and I am sure will figure out what's wrong.

Flashing CEL is probably a rich misfire. I don't know the miles or history of the car but coils come in for suspicion as of course do plugs.

Bad gas is a possibility I suppose if the trouble began real soon -- just a few minutes or less of engine run time -- after yo filled up the gas tank. I don't know ... for rich misfires I really don't like "bad gas", but it wouldn't bother me if it proved to be bad gas.

Get the car flat bedded to a qualified shop and let a pro look the car over and advise you.

Last edited by Macster; 04-30-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 AM
Hornet_312
8th Gear

Greetings, bizarre coincidence - or likely not.

Had my car at the dealer for tint removal - it's been running fine. On the way home, 15 minutes later, took a right hand, uphill, tight 270 degree on-ramp to the freeway. Hard acceleration through the full turn, followed by a quarter mile or so on the highway - maybe up to 95 mph? Let off the gas, CEL visit workshop with no degradation in performance. Dealer ran codes, had O2 Sensor, reset it, said it could be fine for a while.

Ran some errands for about 30 minutes, did some hard acceleration, everything was great. Exact same on-ramp, similar throttle inputs, exact same result - seems as if the O2 Sensor or some wire bundle is tripping due to the lateral / vertical g-force associated with this particular on-ramp.

Is it possible something could be bent and subsequently not truly fixed if I replace the sensor?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light / Vist Workshop message