Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light / Vist Workshop message

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:10 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
You don't need any help if you are having the car taken to the shop for diagnosis and repair.

Get the car flat bedded to a qualified shop and let a pro look the car over and advise you.
Agree 100% with Macster. I'm all about solving a good mystery...but when it comes to CELs, get it to the shop immediately and get a proper diagnosis.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:26 PM
HogansHeroes
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 997 check engine light only during hot weather

Hey folks,

needed to reach out for advice on a check engine light i've been getting on a 2011 997 carrera during hot weather only. On cooler days, car runs fine with no mis-fires and smooth acceleration, but with the warm weather we've been getting, I can drive the car for about 15 minutes until the oil temp needle hits about 220 F. Suddenly, the car idles rough and the check engine light comes on. I then pull over, shut the engine off to let the engine cool down to 150F after which I am able to drive another 5 to 10 minutes and then the same thing happens-- rough idle and check engine light. There is no smoke coming out from the exhaust, but i did notice the passenger side exhaust has a little more "loping" air pressure than normal at idle, the left side exhaust feels normal during idle. Any thoughts on which oxygen sensor (or something else) can causing these symptoms.

rgds,

dave
Old 09-08-2020, 07:17 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

Dave,

You need to get a cheap, inexpensive, iphone type of application with a wireless plug that can tell you what the code is. Then it would be much easier to help you. Right now, you have a choice 1,000 CEL codes that may show up.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
Dave,

You need to get a cheap, inexpensive, iphone type of application with a wireless plug that can tell you what the code is. Then it would be much easier to help you. Right now, you have a choice 1,000 CEL codes that may show up.
You can also get a cheap ODB reader with its own screen for a few buck on amazon
Old 09-09-2020, 02:19 PM
HogansHeroes
Cruisin'

Ok, just got the blue driver ODB2 delivered this morning. I will see if I can get the error codes and post them for you guys

thanks
Old 09-09-2020, 03:54 PM
HogansHeroes
Cruisin'

I tried to get the error codes using blue driver and it appears the no codes were generated. When the CEL comes on, does a code automatically get generated and kept? After i let the car cool, the CEL goes off. Sounds like i need to catch it with OBD2 connected while driving. I did download a "mode 6" file which looks pretty cryptic. is there fault info buried in this file? I attached it if someone "speaks" that language.
Attached Images
Old 09-16-2020, 04:12 PM
HogansHeroes
Cruisin'

Hey folks,

an update on the over heating induced CEL. Caught the CEL with the ODB scanner and it showed cylinder 5 missfire. I ordered coils and spark plugs and put those in this weekend.
I think case is closed. Just curious why the faults arent stored in the ECU-- I had to catch it when it happened.

thanks

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light / Vist Workshop message