Sponsored by:

Longacre Tire Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Longacre Tire Gauges

I'm trying to decide between the Longacre Deluxe Tire gauge and their liquid filled gauge. They're both around $45. Any opinions, I don't know anything about liquid filled gauges. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liquid filled gauges are partially filled w/glycerin. It dampens the movement of the needle so you can get a better read when the input pressure is oscillating up and down.

If you are bleeding air pressure downward to a target PSI reading the liquid will prevent the indicator needle from bouncing down when you hit the bleed button.

Not really better or more accurate gauge-just a dampened movement. Most common in process engineering applications where there are continuous pressure pulses that have to be controlled in order to read the gauge.

BD
Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a longacre liquid filled one and I am very satisfied.

I went with liquid filled because if you carry your gauge everywhere and it gets bumped quite a bit, the dampened liquid filled environment makes the gauge keep its calibration better (at least that is what I heard, and it does make some sense).

HTH,

T.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'll go liquid, thanks.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

not a de-scenting comment just some personal experience. read this clip from Longacre's site

Liquid filled gauges have many advantages. But they can change readings by as much as 2-3 psi if the temperature changes...

All pressure gauges - liquid filled and regular - need to be vented to the outside to read accurately. If not vented, as the surrounding temperature changes, they will build up pressure inside and affect the accuracy - by as much as 2-3 psi!

But if a liquid filled gauge is vented it will leak on your hands and in your tool box. Some manufacturers aren't aware of this and don't vent the gauge. You then have to deal with the variation in accuracy.

Now from Longacre comes the simple answer to this problem. We have installed a specially designed pressure equalizer button on the top of the gauge. Before you use the gauge just push this button. Instantly any temperature-caused pressure difference will be eliminated and you will be guaranteed the most accurate readings possible.

I use the deluxe as it saves me a step and has proven to be reliable.

Chuck
Old 02-05-2011, 06:20 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point.

Mine has a screw on valve (must be an older model), I just use that to equalize the pressure every time I use it. It takes 5 secs tops.

Longacre know what they are doing,

T.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

It's a great product!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I use the digital gauge...works great. I have these $45 digital gauge and there $125 digital gauge...both very accurtate. I have a Longacre analog gauge and it read 3psi high....not a good gauge.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I use a $10 pencil-clip gauge from Schrader that I got off the Snap-On truck the last time I saw it. Is that so wrong?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I use a $10 pencil-clip gauge from Schrader that I got off the Snap-On truck the last time I saw it. Is that so wrong?
Guarantee you it's no where near accurate.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Smile

One of the primary reasons we carry a company like Longacre is that they stand behind their product. If you're getting a false read, and it's not due to temperature changes or other barometric pressure related issues (purging), the contact their customer service department at the link below. They do have a one-year limited warranty for the analog product. I hope this is of some help!

Best regards

Chuck

http://www.longacreracing.com/instru....asp?INSTID=27

Originally Posted by mdrums
I use the digital gauge...works great. I have these $45 digital gauge and there $125 digital gauge...both very accurtate. I have a Longacre analog gauge and it read 3psi high....not a good gauge.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Interesting side note. A few years ago I received gifts from a few dealers we work with, and they were Porsche pressure gauges, nice ones with bleeders, hose attached, in a nice glossy chrome case like eyeglasses.

They are the LEAST accurate of any gauges I have. I have some Accutire and other gauges that seem to be spot on. But the readings I get on the Porsche gauges don't give me any confidence. That, or all my other gauges are crap.

Anyone else try the Porsche gauge?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IMGT3
One of the primary reasons we carry a company like Longacre is that they stand behind their product. If you're getting a false read, and it's not due to temperature changes or other barometric pressure related issues (purging), the contact their customer service department at the link below. They do have a one-year limited warranty for the analog product. I hope this is of some helphttp://www.longacreracing.com/instru....asp?INSTID=27
Group buy?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:12 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Interesting side note. A few years ago I received gifts from a few dealers we work with, and they were Porsche pressure gauges, nice ones with bleeders, hose attached, in a nice glossy chrome case like eyeglasses.

They are the LEAST accurate of any gauges I have. I have some Accutire and other gauges that seem to be spot on. But the readings I get on the Porsche gauges don't give me any confidence. That, or all my other gauges are crap.

Anyone else try the Porsche gauge?
Eric

Ironic that you should say that, i was given a "P" guage for a birthday gift by my son... unfortunately i had the same experience....

Chuck
Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Group buy?
See PM, thanks! CM

Quick Reply: Longacre Tire Gauges