Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
IF you trust those readings, no need.

I, for one, have zero trust in TPMS accuracy. And sometimes I'd rather know while I'm detailing the car, not five miles down the road (TPMS is not valid until you drive some miles).

I just got my Longacre this week, and looking forward to using it this weekend. Thanks for the pricing, Chuck!
Spot on Eric
Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Anybody look at one of these?

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=856&catid=8

I know it's for the track but it seems handy for the garage and I guess you could fill it when you buy gas. Might even use it to fill your collapsible spare! I spent some time with lightweight tank this weekend and it is as cool as anything in my shop. I have not gotten the fill hose, and have not needed it. The guy at Firestone filled it to 125 in under a 30 seconds through the Schrader valve on the opposite side. The sad thing is that you either need a relationship with Firestone or a full service gas station because it is hard to find an air hose otherwise these days unless you have your own compressor. It is fun to have all my tires at the pressure I set, and it is a bargain at the group buy price.

The folks at Longacre recommend filling the tank with nitrogen; they say that is what it is designed for. Evidently the nitrogen does not change pressure very much as the tires heat up. After tipping the Firestone guy $5 a time or two, I might just step up to the nitrogen. So maybe this is a little overkill for the trunk of my car, but using one of these you don't really need the tire gauge. In fact I have not even taken my Longacre tire gauge out of the box. And it when you see this tank setup, you will want one.

Last edited by sclemmons; 03-06-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Received my Longacre guage today, thanks Chuck.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Received my Longacre guage today, thanks Chuck.
your welcome! thanks for you support. Enjoy! Chuck
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow....used it today first time. I knew what i was pumping into the tires was different readings from the TPMS. So I waited until it was nice and comfy in the garage, about the desired 68 degree, actually just a hair less.

Got on the fronts and rears with the Longacre unit. It was definitely different from the TPMS, and way different than my other gauge. So I pumped everything to the desired pressures. Then on the advice of several here on RL, I went through a reset, telling the system I changed wheels/tires. Drove for about 10 minutes at 30-45 ranges in city, and bingo, TPMS came right up with the readings I wanted.

I posted this on another thread, and our in-house expert ADias messaged me about temps and load. I was using the door jamb guide for pressures, and dropping 1 lb from front, 2 lbs from rear for my comfort. This was WRONG.

Tony pointed me to the manual (clearing throat, RTFM)....and I found the numbers for the light loads. I then went back to the garage tonight, temps were still perfect, and I used the Longacre to bring it to 34 front, 40 rear.

The Longacre is an incredible piece of hardware. Not some flimsy thing you just punch to the valve stem. You KNOW you have some serious hardware. Face is large and it takes a bit of getting used to doing this with both hands, but the connection to the valve, the pressure release, the weight of the unit, the easy readout...AND the glow in the dark feature...well, it's just the perfect gauge.

Thanks Chuck and imgt3performance.com.

I may be back to buy a few more as gifts and to keep in other vehicles. Yeah, it's that good.

EDIT: I DID just go back and order three more! Might give one or two as gifts, keep one at the warehouse. Thanks again Chuck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-27-2011, 12:09 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Which model, Eric?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Yomi
Instructor

I used to autocross a lot (20-40 events a year) so used a pressure gauge a lot. I have a 3.5" Intercomp and really like it. Longacre make quality stuff -- I have their Accutech insertion pyrometer. I knew some people who owned Longacre liquid filled gauges and liked them. For heavy autocross use I'm glad I went with the really big gauge. After a few runs I'd be looking at half-pound increments. For daily driver use one of the 2.5" ones would probably make more sense.

Here's my two cents on accuracy / precision. You want one that's repeatable, and you need to use the same gauge all the time. When I looked 5 years ago, calibrating pressure gauges was absurdly expensive. It'd be great to know that your front right tire had an objective 39.3 psi, but you really want to know that the reading on that tire today compares precisely to the reading last week and the reading on the other tires.

-- 2004 Subaru STi (ESP/BSP prepped, sold), 2004 C4S (stock)
Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Yomi
I used to autocross a lot (20-40 events a year) so used a pressure gauge a lot. I have a 3.5" Intercomp and really like it. Longacre make quality stuff -- I have their Accutech insertion pyrometer. I knew some people who owned Longacre liquid filled gauges and liked them. For heavy autocross use I'm glad I went with the really big gauge. After a few runs I'd be looking at half-pound increments. For daily driver use one of the 2.5" ones would probably make more sense.

Here's my two cents on accuracy / precision. You want one that's repeatable, and you need to use the same gauge all the time. When I looked 5 years ago, calibrating pressure gauges was absurdly expensive. It'd be great to know that your front right tire had an objective 39.3 psi, but you really want to know that the reading on that tire today compares precisely to the reading last week and the reading on the other tires.

-- 2004 Subaru STi (ESP/BSP prepped, sold), 2004 C4S (stock)
Correct! Many do not know the difference between accuracy and precision. Accuracy is key. With a sharp knife one can chop vegetables very finely (precise) but end with a finger cut (inaccurate). Accuracy - when is a gauge-read 34PSI really 34PSI?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Thanks all! The Deluxe seems to be the popular favorite of this group (and me). Thanks to all contributors! Chuck

GB ends tomorrow 2/28 @ Midnite CST ... Next Month L&N Engineering GB
Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Order placed, special thanks to Chuck for taking care of the shipping to us in the 50th state.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

My order is in, too.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

thank you all again for making this an interesting discussion....Chuck
Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the great deal, Chuck. The magnum gauge is a nice piece of equipment and the tank is off the chart.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Which model, Eric?

50402...suits my needs perfectly. Just got the three I ordered in a couple days from order - fast shipping and pleasant experience. Taught all three kids to check pressures before they learned to drive. My son is pretty regular with it, the girls, eh, not so much. But they all have gauges. And I check the tires when they come home from college....just so I can either teach them again, or praise them for keeping the pressure right (or close).
Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

I just wanted to thank Chuck again for the great deals on these Longacre products. In particular, the air tank is one of the coolest things in my shop, and works like a champ, even without the quick fill hose. I just used the schrader valve and it was full in under a minute. I believe you could use the gauge on the tire without the tank, and Longacre recommends that for consistency. See my fulll note in post 32 above.

Quick Reply: Longacre Tire Gauges