Sponsored by:

Cabrio roll over protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 AM
993GT2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cabrio roll over protection

I just bought a 2008 997 4S Cabrio that was in a accident, the damage was minimal to the left front side, but the two roll over protection bars did deployed.

What should be done to put back the two roll over bars to its original position?

Thanks...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT2
I just bought a 2008 997 4S Cabrio that was in a accident, the damage was minimal to the left front side, but the two roll over protection bars did deployed.

What should be done to put back the two roll over bars to its original position?

Thanks...
Could you possibly post a picture of the roll bars deployed? I have never seen what that looks like. Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

These aren't my pics, I just snagged them from a thread several years ago and kept them. i used these pics to pass the "broomstick test" back when I was tracking my C2S Cab.

http://macnugget.org/photos/rollbars
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nugget
These aren't my pics, I just snagged them from a thread several years ago and kept them. i used these pics to pass the "broomstick test" back when I was tracking my C2S Cab.

http://macnugget.org/photos/rollbars
Thanks Nugget! I am considering getting back on the track this summer and that is exactly what I wanted to see. How did you extend the roll bars for track days? Was it DIY or was the dealer involved. I am not sure what mechanism is used to deploy these, hydraulic, explosive charges, electromechanical? I think they come out pretty quickly when the car senses a roll over but I am really not sure.
Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

You don't need to extend the bars for track days just use the photos to demonstrate that they're tall enough for you to pass the broomstick test. If you need them, the car will deploy them.

They're explosive detonation, but with a dealer's assistance (battery disconnect and PIWIS) they can be manually extended as shown in the pictures. As I said, the pics aren't mine, I just snagged them out of a thread from years ago (which I can't find now), so that's the extent of my understanding.

Edit to add: And definitely get back on the track this Summer!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Credit where credit is due, pics are from Caughtacab911. I managed to find the original thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tick-test.html
Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i love modern car safety technology! looks like james dean needed a pair, tho...
Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nugget
You don't need to extend the bars for track days just use the photos to demonstrate that they're tall enough for you to pass the broomstick test. If you need them, the car will deploy them.

They're explosive detonation, but with a dealer's assistance (battery disconnect and PIWIS) they can be manually extended as shown in the pictures. As I said, the pics aren't mine, I just snagged them out of a thread from years ago (which I can't find now), so that's the extent of my understanding.

Edit to add: And definitely get back on the track this Summer!
Great, I am saving the images to my computer as we speak!
Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT2

Thanks...
I was not aware the rollover bars deployed unless the car was almost or involved in a rollover accident.

Did you have the airbag system's controller checked to see if the airbags deployed? This can record IIRC up to 3 deployment events.

Check that. There appears to be a way to manually deploy the rollover bars and then cause them to retract. (The best way though is to use the proper Porsche diagnostics computer system to do this.)

If there is any evidence of visible damage or that the bars have been well, pressed against the road or dirt or whatever. IOWs, if the car has been on the bars the bars must be replaced as part of a proper collision repair.

My advice would be to take the car to a qualified shop and have the bars lowered either by the use of a Porsche system tester computer (best way) or manually.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

It's my understanding that with the 996 cabs the user can reset them. On the 997s the shop has to do it.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's my understanding that with the 996 cabs the user can reset them. On the 997s the shop has to do it.
You may very well be right. My reference is for the 996 Cab. The 997 may indeed not have this manual deployment/retract facility present.

When it comes to safety equipment: air bags, rollover protection, seat belt pre-tensioners, I prefer to have properly trained and properly equipped techs deal with these items.

The wrong time to learn a rollbar ain't going to deploy right is as one's head is being shoved into some pavement. Ouch!

So, to the OP I would urge him to have the car and its rollover protection issues dealt with by a qualified shop.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Cabrio roll over protection