Sponsored by:

Sell the 997S or?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
good inputs all, thanks. I drove a C-class today and liked it well enough, but of course its no p-car. I can pick up a 2007 for under $20k, and it is suitable for short drives with 4 adults, as well as year-round utility use.

Will drive some other cars over the next couple of weeks, and probably go the route of getting a second cheap car for now. That way I can dump it without much loss if I decide to go to one car later, and I can keep the Porsche through another summer season.

The car does need to be sort of business professional which rules out a lot of potential fun (I am CFO of a utility), like the Fiat 500 which might be a real hoot! Of course since my commute involves narrow roads and encounters with pickups and school busses, I'm not wanting anything too Citroen-esqe (2CV that is).

Thanks again - really helpful input as usual on this board.
I was gonna concur with the rest to suggest a pre-owned Golf TDI, or MK5 GTI..

However, since you want something to be more sort of business professional... why don't you consider a 2004-2005 Audi Allroad? I am looking to get one of those for hauling around stuff, and for going offroad when needed (I passionately hate SUVs). It has adjustable air suspension that goes up and down depending on your speed or preference (highway drive vs. dirt road), rides great, lots of room, handles better than any SUV... and you got either a V8 option (great sound), or 2.7 bi-turbo that can be modded very easily to more than 400HP with bolt-on RS4 parts.

Maybe we can do a 2-for-1 deal?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:34 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

OMG - keep the car!!! BTW, I think it's a fine DD and only car. I do understand about the grocery - do you live near one that delivers (we have that here)?

worst case, pick up a beater for errands. if not, you will miss the p-car.

just my opinion. good luck with things and enjoy the single life. time flies and you only go around once!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car and/or the three sets of wheels may have had something to do with your new status. So, enjoy the trappings of bachelrodom with vigor! The advise about taking your time with decisions is good. A simple 2nd car with some ability to transverse snow may be great.

Cheers
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alstoy
The car and/or the three sets of wheels may have had something to do with your new status. So, enjoy the trappings of bachelrodom with vigor! The advise about taking your time with decisions is good. A simple 2nd car with some ability to transverse snow may be great.

Cheers
Originally Posted by ajayabb
Not to pry, but will the money you get from the sale of your car be subject to being distributed?
The settlement is final and so whatever I do won't impact distributions, etc.

My ex will get a CaymanS, three sets of wheels, a spare engine, track tires, tools, extra suspension and exhaust plus a Trailex to load the CaymanS on and the Mercedes ML320CDI to pull all that with, so I'm pretty sure my meager little 997S and wheels had nothing to do with this!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:24 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The settlement is final and so whatever I do won't impact distributions, etc.

My ex will get a CaymanS, three sets of wheels, a spare engine, track tires, tools, extra suspension and exhaust plus a Trailex to load the CaymanS on and the Mercedes ML320CDI to pull all that with, so I'm pretty sure my meager little 997S and wheels had nothing to do with this!
Wow, Sorry to hear about that
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

congrats on getting to keep the 997 - you must have a great lawyer!
seriously - keep it and buy a beater pickup for carrying the big stuff.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts

If you sold it, what would you track??? Keep it for that reason alone
Old 01-22-2011, 08:27 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deansdream
If you sold it, what would you track??? Keep it for that reason alone
Done with the track for now - sold my helmet and other stuff. Probably be a couple of years before I have saved enough to get back to the track, and then I'll likely get a dedicated track car that I can afford to wad up.

BTW the settlement was fair - cars were just a part of it.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

my ex will get a CaymanS, three sets of wheels, a spare engine, track tires, tools, extra suspension and exhaust plus a Trailex to load the CaymanS on and the Mercedes ML320CDI to pull all that with, so I'm pretty sure my meager little 997S and wheels had nothing to do with this!
I went through that with an X and XX. Hang onto the Porsche it's good medicine on the weekends.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:09 PM
PVP997
Advanced

Default Keep It and Buy A "Utility" Car

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Keep and lease a cheap VW with folding back seats for when you need to carry stuff around. Every time I was Porscheless (twice for a year between ages 18 and now 41) I felt miserable every time I would get in my car. It'll cost you 6 grand a year all in (lease, insurance, maintenance, ...)... if that's affordable to you and you like the 997, don't hesitate!
A little advice, please...

I'm about to become single and will only have one car - 2007 997S. The car has just under 70k miles, I am the original owner. It is black (not metallic) over sand, coupe. I have three sets of wheels (winter 18s, silver lobster 19s and newly black powder coated lobster 19s). Winter tires are fine, summers should be replaced shortly. The car has been tracked beginner/intermediate and super well maintained. Options are Power Seat package, Self Dimming Mirrors, Heated front seats, Wheel caps with colored crests, Sport Chrono Package, Nav, Bose, Remote CD, Porsche crest in headrests. It also has Dension iPod adaptor in the Frunk. MSRP was $91,360. Never wrecked or dented, but has been driven year-round in winter climates. Clear bra on front bumper, but not on the hood which has many small chips. Windshield has the common tiny pitting. If I was going to keep the car I would respray the hood and replace the windshield.

Commute is 24 miles of country roads with some nice twisties and elevation changes. A blast in this car, provided the weather isn't too bad.

Problem is this isn't a great only-car. No way to carry dry cleaning for example, or anything large I might need to buy - and I hate taking it to the grocery store because of the ding risk.

So I'm thinking of selling it and getting a more useful vehicle, or keeping it and getting something $20k or less as a winter daily, errand runner, etc.

If I sell it, I'm going back and forth between Mercedes C-Class, BMW 335d, maybe a small SUV, or Audi A4, A5 or Q. I want high mileage since I take several longer trips and the commute can eat up fuel too.

If I keep it, I'm thinking used A4, new Fiesta, or ???

So would appreciate thoughts on keep vs sell, what to replace or augment it with, and if sell, what price you all think is reasonable (I've been all over KBB and Edmunds as well as the usual Porsche sites - so just want your thoughts).

TIA
Mike aka p-cardriver
Keep the P car and enjoy it. Buy a utility vehicle to do all the errands. This option will even costs you less.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Okay, first of all, if I was newly single, the last thing I would do would be to get rid of the Porsche. In fact, if I didn't own one, the first thing I would do would be to buy a Porsche.

Second, I don't know what you're talking about with the daily driver issues. My dry cleaning sits just fine in the back. And I shop at the grocery store all the time. Park in the far corner on the end spot and put your car at the far end of the corner spot. That is what I always do. Dings are impossible. You have to walk an extra 100 feet. Or you could drive a dinged up VW. Which do you prefer?????

Keep your car, you've obviously been enjoying it for 70K miles. Keep it up man, keep it up!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Okay, first of all, if I was newly single, the last thing I would do would be to get rid of the Porsche. In fact, if I didn't own one, the first thing I would do would be to buy a Porsche.

Second, I don't know what you're talking about with the daily driver issues. My dry cleaning sits just fine in the back. And I shop at the grocery store all the time. Park in the far corner on the end spot and put your car at the far end of the corner spot. That is what I always do. Dings are impossible. You have to walk an extra 100 feet. Or you could drive a dinged up VW. Which do you prefer?????

Keep your car, you've obviously been enjoying it for 70K miles. Keep it up man, keep it up!!!!!!!
.... or stated another way, how many dings can you get fixed for $16K to $20K (cost of getting a second car)?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 AM
cv997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had the same dilemma. I bought a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Great car for the price ($27k new, every option under the sun).
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 AM
rjahr01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you in Lexington Ky big blue nation
Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 275 Posts

A little advice, please...

I'm about to become single and will only have one car - 2007 997S. The car has just under 70k miles, I am the original owner. It is black (not metallic) over sand, coupe. I have three sets of wheels (winter 18s, silver lobster 19s and newly black powder coated lobster 19s). Winter tires are fine, summers should be replaced shortly. The car has been tracked beginner/intermediate and super well maintained. Options are Power Seat package, Self Dimming Mirrors, Heated front seats, Wheel caps with colored crests, Sport Chrono Package, Nav, Bose, Remote CD, Porsche crest in headrests. It also has Dension iPod adaptor in the Frunk. MSRP was $91,360. Never wrecked or dented, but has been driven year-round in winter climates. Clear bra on front bumper, but not on the hood which has many small chips. Windshield has the common tiny pitting. If I was going to keep the car I would respray the hood and replace the windshield.

Commute is 24 miles of country roads with some nice twisties and elevation changes. A blast in this car, provided the weather isn't too bad.

Problem is this isn't a great only-car. No way to carry dry cleaning for example, or anything large I might need to buy - and I hate taking it to the grocery store because of the ding risk.

So I'm thinking of selling it and getting a more useful vehicle, or keeping it and getting something $20k or less as a winter daily, errand runner, etc.

If I sell it, I'm going back and forth between Mercedes C-Class, BMW 335d, maybe a small SUV, or Audi A4, A5 or Q. I want high mileage since I take several longer trips and the commute can eat up fuel too.

If I keep it, I'm thinking used A4, new Fiesta, or ???

So would appreciate thoughts on keep vs sell, what to replace or augment it with, and if sell, what price you all think is reasonable (I've been all over KBB and Edmunds as well as the usual Porsche sites - so just want your thoughts).

TIA
Mike aka p-cardriver

I'd sell it! If you're asking the question then and you're open to actually doing it then you love it a lot less than I do because it would be the last thing that I could do.

There's not another car like it....none! Dry Cleaning???? Fold it in half and throw it in. What else? Buy large stuff....like what a refrigerator.....come on! And now it can't go to the grocery store....oh boy.

Here are some more reasons you forgot to list:

--It gets dark at night...every night
--you need to walk to it to get to it
--A tree branch could fall on it and there are trees everywhere
--Other drivers can run into it......and they surely will and then what
--It'll get dirty and then it needs a wash....regularly

Keep the car!

Tom

Quick Reply: Sell the 997S or?