Sell the 997S or?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sell the 997S or?

A little advice, please...

I'm about to become single and will only have one car - 2007 997S. The car has just under 70k miles, I am the original owner. It is black (not metallic) over sand, coupe. I have three sets of wheels (winter 18s, silver lobster 19s and newly black powder coated lobster 19s). Winter tires are fine, summers should be replaced shortly. The car has been tracked beginner/intermediate and super well maintained. Options are Power Seat package, Self Dimming Mirrors, Heated front seats, Wheel caps with colored crests, Sport Chrono Package, Nav, Bose, Remote CD, Porsche crest in headrests. It also has Dension iPod adaptor in the Frunk. MSRP was $91,360. Never wrecked or dented, but has been driven year-round in winter climates. Clear bra on front bumper, but not on the hood which has many small chips. Windshield has the common tiny pitting. If I was going to keep the car I would respray the hood and replace the windshield.

Commute is 24 miles of country roads with some nice twisties and elevation changes. A blast in this car, provided the weather isn't too bad.

Problem is this isn't a great only-car. No way to carry dry cleaning for example, or anything large I might need to buy - and I hate taking it to the grocery store because of the ding risk.

So I'm thinking of selling it and getting a more useful vehicle, or keeping it and getting something $20k or less as a winter daily, errand runner, etc.

If I sell it, I'm going back and forth between Mercedes C-Class, BMW 335d, maybe a small SUV, or Audi A4, A5 or Q. I want high mileage since I take several longer trips and the commute can eat up fuel too.

If I keep it, I'm thinking used A4, new Fiesta, or ???

So would appreciate thoughts on keep vs sell, what to replace or augment it with, and if sell, what price you all think is reasonable (I've been all over KBB and Edmunds as well as the usual Porsche sites - so just want your thoughts).

TIA
Mike aka p-cardriver
Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
A little advice, please...

I'm about to become single and will only have one car - 2007 997S. The car has just under 70k miles, I am the original owner. It is black (not metallic) over sand, coupe. I have three sets of wheels (winter 18s, silver lobster 19s and newly black powder coated lobster 19s). Winter tires are fine, summers should be replaced shortly. The car has been tracked beginner/intermediate and super well maintained. Options are Power Seat package, Self Dimming Mirrors, Heated front seats, Wheel caps with colored crests, Sport Chrono Package, Nav, Bose, Remote CD, Porsche crest in headrests. It also has Dension iPod adaptor in the Frunk. MSRP was $91,360. Never wrecked or dented, but has been driven year-round in winter climates. Clear bra on front bumper, but not on the hood which has many small chips. Windshield has the common tiny pitting. If I was going to keep the car I would respray the hood and replace the windshield.

Commute is 24 miles of country roads with some nice twisties and elevation changes. A blast in this car, provided the weather isn't too bad.

Problem is this isn't a great only-car. No way to carry dry cleaning for example, or anything large I might need to buy - and I hate taking it to the grocery store because of the ding risk.

So I'm thinking of selling it and getting a more useful vehicle, or keeping it and getting something $20k or less as a winter daily, errand runner, etc.

If I sell it, I'm going back and forth between Mercedes C-Class, BMW 335d, maybe a small SUV, or Audi A4, A5 or Q. I want high mileage since I take several longer trips and the commute can eat up fuel too.

If I keep it, I'm thinking used A4, new Fiesta, or ???

So would appreciate thoughts on keep vs sell, what to replace or augment it with, and if sell, what price you all think is reasonable (I've been all over KBB and Edmunds as well as the usual Porsche sites - so just want your thoughts).

TIA
Mike aka p-cardriver
Keep and lease a cheap VW with folding back seats for when you need to carry stuff around. Every time I was Porscheless (twice for a year between ages 18 and now 41) I felt miserable every time I would get in my car. It'll cost you 6 grand a year all in (lease, insurance, maintenance, ...)... if that's affordable to you and you like the 997, don't hesitate!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep it. You have a great used example, without issues. I think if you get another car you'll realize how little you prefer to drive it, and the small inconveniences of the Porsche are worth it - park further away at the grocery store, lay the dry cleaning out over the back seat, etc.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 511 Posts

I'd keep it and get an econo box to run your errands. You can get a Jetta fo $16k
Old 01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Keep it. You can pick up a DD for very little money. A used mini cooper, vw, audi A4, or a small SUV. How about the new VW diesels
Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
dieselvet
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check TDIClub.com before buying the common rail diesel. Occasional reports of high pressure fuel pump eating itself and VW being slow to replace under warranty. The 2003 4th gen. with the ALH engine is very tough.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

First,

all the best with your new status and let me give you some advice if I may...take your time with all decisions.

As for your question, I agree with the new econobox or used VW, A4 route. Gives you peace of mind and keeps your car fresh for days you need stress relief or the wonderful times when you will be driving at the DE.

Last edited by buckwheat987; 01-22-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

If you still love your 997, I agree with the others about getting an affordable DD. However, if you have the itch for a new car there are many good options as well. The cars you listed are fine, but kind of boring and not exactly what I'd call high mpg cars. Why not get the spicy versions? E.g. BMW M3, C63 AMG, Audi S4/RS4 etc...
Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I have a honda CRV for errands, Home Depot, Train Station etc. It sucks but honestly, if it broke down I'd buy another one it's so useful.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the 997, if financially plausible, and add an inexpensive daily car that
you only have to carry liability insurance.

You will not be happy with what your higher mileage 997 brings, and in a matter
of months you will be looking to find another one just like the one you sold, however, you won't be able to find one for that price.

There is something very nice about having your Porsche in the garage
and driving around in a vehicle that you don't have to constantly worry
about. Hence, my reason for having a 2003 Jeep Wrangler as well.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
cbzzoom

2007 with 70k miles ! Nice job on actually driving the car

IMO the p-car is worth more to you than it is in resale, so I would definitely keep it.

A winter beater/errand-runner should be very cheap and will actually save you money in the long run vs. just driving the 997 everywhere. IMO a used Subaru is a great way to go if you see some winter weather.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:47 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the 997...
While I use my 955 CS most of the time as my DD, my practical side is my 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback and it gets 35 mpg
Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

good inputs all, thanks. I drove a C-class today and liked it well enough, but of course its no p-car. I can pick up a 2007 for under $20k, and it is suitable for short drives with 4 adults, as well as year-round utility use.

Will drive some other cars over the next couple of weeks, and probably go the route of getting a second cheap car for now. That way I can dump it without much loss if I decide to go to one car later, and I can keep the Porsche through another summer season.

The car does need to be sort of business professional which rules out a lot of potential fun (I am CFO of a utility), like the Fiat 500 which might be a real hoot! Of course since my commute involves narrow roads and encounters with pickups and school busses, I'm not wanting anything too Citroen-esqe (2CV that is).

Thanks again - really helpful input as usual on this board.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:03 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Not to pry, but will the money you get from the sale of your car be subject to being distributed?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:24 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Not to pry, but will the money you get from the sale of your car be subject to being distributed?

He didn't say he was selling. And what does it matter. Thats his business.

Quick Reply: Sell the 997S or?