Sponsored by:

H&R vs. Eibach

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H&R vs. Eibach

I have read all the threads and I just wanted to see if there is anything new on the H&R and/or Eibach lowering springs front.

I have a number of suspension and car changes planned for this winter but I am running out of $$ and will not change over to PSS9 (PASM) or others until next year. Lowering springs are in the budget.

For reference the changes to my 2005 997 S (w/PASM and Sport Chrono) that will be done in the next month or so are: GT3 front and rear sways, front and rear adj. drop links, GT3 Cup LCA's, Wevo Semi-Solid engine mounts, RSS Roll bar, GT3 Seats, CCW 18x9 and 18x12 wheels w/RA1's, 997 Aero wing and GT3 or Aero front bumper.

Any new pros or cons about the springs?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Here's my 2 cents. Lowering springs without proper shocks is just a receipe for disaster.

You will certainly suffer ride quality, and in most cases will be running on bumpstops all the time. Also, in most cases you will NOT get better handling out of those as the shocks you got are designed within the specs of your OEM springs.

So, I'd wait till you got enough money for a proper race suspension (if that's what you're looking for). Stock handles great as-is IMO.

PS. If you're looking for a great set of shocks, search forum, someone was selling some Ohlins fully adjustable suspension a few weeks ago at a GREAT bargain! I'd definitely recommend that for a custom suspension setup.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I have Techart springs (manufactured by Eibach) and they just lowered the car 15MM

But they are safe and will not ruin the stock shocks

Car looks better now and handles a bit better as well, very small changes however, nothing radical
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that you can get away with just springs if you go with the techarts (eibach) springs which are a very subtle way to lower the car. The issue for me was the install process for changing spring vs going to a proper coilover kit are basically the same. If I'm going to do it, I'd just switch to the PSS9's. In a way it's actually cost efficient given that many drivers that start with just springs end up going full coilover after a while anyway.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

altho i dont necessarily agree that it will definitely cause issues, i would not put different springs on OEM shocks as they were designed specifically for those OEM springs, rate of return, load, etc. as a matter of fact, my shop - TPC racing - offers a "plus" package that puts different springs on new bilstein damptronics which necessitates them changing the internals slightly (and, i believe, adjusting the PASM threshholds via the ECU). besides, if you're not doing the work yourself, you're throwing away labor money, as the shop has to (partially) take out the shock anyway to install springs.

and i know this is not your original question but if i were you, i'd drop the aero kit and drop the LCA's (a proven race race shop can get you the performance and camber you need without LCA's). that will get you at least part way there to the cost of bilsteins.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
I have read all the threads and I just wanted to see if there is anything new on the H&R and/or Eibach lowering springs front.

I have a number of suspension and car changes planned for this winter but I am running out of $$ and will not change over to PSS9 (PASM) or others until next year. Lowering springs are in the budget.

For reference the changes to my 2005 997 S (w/PASM and Sport Chrono) that will be done in the next month or so are: GT3 front and rear sways, front and rear adj. drop links, GT3 Cup LCA's, Wevo Semi-Solid engine mounts, RSS Roll bar, GT3 Seats, CCW 18x9 and 18x12 wheels w/RA1's, 997 Aero wing and GT3 or Aero front bumper.

Any new pros or cons about the springs?
from what I remember some folks wrote H&R springs collapse over time and car gets even lower which is not good. use eibach. it is a standard choice. something like 450/600 lbs setup will do.

read this thread and you may PM NJ-GT, he probably knows most about this subject than anyone else on this forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t-started.html

if you will do this job in the shop - get front GT3 or GT2 or GMG adjustable sway bar installed. GT2 sways are probably the best choice. stock GT3 is cheapest but is a bit soft. I would consult with a pro about it.
As an alternative you can look at kits from TPC - they use 900/900 springs and they own custom sways which they promise to be 'custom adjusted' for those specific spring rates. Who knows, may be they are right.

also i would skip aero kit. it costs a lot but is all looks and no go. for 'go' you`ll need cup car parts, cup wing and front splitter, not a simple 997 aero. also if you are serious about tracking car - JRZ RS I got were $3200 and $800 for springs - I would sacrifice that aero and got suspension done instead, with proper stiff springs, all balanced corners and dual adjustable shocks.

AND BEFORE you started with all that - think twice and then think again - you still have unmodded 'S' car. you can trade it in and get GT3 car. after you remove seats, put in roll cage all those mod prices start to accumulate and it will be more and more difficult to make a decision to sell this car. if you do not need rear seats at all - consider 997 or clean 996 GT3 car as an option as your mods will go into $20K territory in the end.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s329
In a way it's actually cost efficient given that many drivers that start with just springs end up going full coilover after a while anyway.
and...yep.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
from what I remember some folks wrote H&R springs collapse over time and car gets even lower which is not good. use eibach. it is a standard choice. something like 450/600 lbs setup will do.

read this thread and you may PM NJ-GT, he probably knows most about this subject than anyone else on this forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t-started.html

if you will do this job in the shop - get front GT3 or GT2 or GMG adjustable sway bar installed. GT2 sways are probably the best choice. stock GT3 is cheapest but is a bit soft. I would consult with a pro about it.
As an alternative you can look at kits from TPC - they use 900/900 springs and they own custom sways which they promise to be 'custom adjusted' for those specific spring rates. Who knows, may be they are right.

also i would skip aero kit. it costs a lot but is all looks and no go. for 'go' you`ll need cup car parts, cup wing and front splitter, not a simple 997 aero. also if you are serious about tracking car - JRZ RS I got were $3200 and $800 for springs - I would sacrifice that aero and got suspension done instead, with proper stiff springs, all balanced corners and dual adjustable shocks.

AND BEFORE you started with all that - think twice and then think again - you still have unmodded 'S' car. you can trade it in and get GT3 car. after you remove seats, put in roll cage all those mod prices start to accumulate and it will be more and more difficult to make a decision to sell this car. if you do not need rear seats at all - consider 997 or clean 996 GT3 car as an option as your mods will go into $20K territory in the end.
We dont use 900lb springs, not sure where you get your info from but i have seen you post that more than once.

The rates are chosen depending on the preference of the client and what will work for their given application.

if you have to choose between hr/eibach i would choose the eibach.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cparkin
We dont use 900lb springs, not sure where you get your info from but i have seen you post that more than once.

The rates are chosen depending on the preference of the client and what will work for their given application.

if you have to choose between hr/eibach i would choose the eibach.
info about your setups was on a public forum and i saw it more than once for sure. if you would have less secrecy and provided more information regarding your setups other than a purchase price then you would have more clients, imho. people rarely buy a cat in a sack especially if that cat costs much more than from your competitors.

BTW - post #6 there.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ro-shocks.html

and another thread but seems it got removed from rennlist. google still has it.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I will skip the springs for now as my budget will recover and then very soon it will be time for the adjustable shocks and appropriate springs. Body work will wait until I sort out the suspension - better shocks and springs come first.

Your advice is much appretiated.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

TAI2, it looks like you have a nicely planned set of upgrades there.

utkinpol, the 900/900 setups you referred to were for JRZ RS dampers. Recommended spring rates for the Bilsteins would be different than that. With the issue of disclosing more information about our setups, we will try to be more open; however, keep in mind that alot of our clients are racers of different levels and do not wish disclose their setup info. If they disclose the info themselves, that's great. Please feel free to contact me if have detailed setup questions. I will provide my best recommendation.

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
GHills
Instructor

Hey tpc, imitation has only one m.....unless you're trying to match up the two nn's in innovation at the start of your tagline.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GHills
Hey tpc, imitation has only one m.....unless you're trying to match up the two nn's in innovation at the start of your tagline.
the extra "m" is for savings...oh wait, i'm confusing this with mattres$ discounters.

good catch.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

wow... what a way to make an (_|_) out of myself and the company (shhh.. don't tell the boss)

well, thanks for pointing it out guys. I don't think I would have caught my mispelling any time soon. *sigh*

And to make it clear who it was that mispelled it.....

Eddie

Quick Reply: H&R vs. Eibach