Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake question on 997S that's been tracked.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011 | 03:21 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Default Brake question on 997S that's been tracked.

I'm looking to buy a 997S that's apparently been tracked due to the cracks in the front rotors. What seems strange is the calipers look like they were originally red but the front calipers have turned maroon. The paint on the calipers looks original. Has anyone seen this discoloration?
Old 01-13-2011 | 03:28 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

yes, car was tracked, brakes were hot, that is what maroon color means.
Old 01-13-2011 | 03:29 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

^100% correct.
Old 01-13-2011 | 03:34 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Yep, exactly correct. It's common and I wouldn't let that (alone) deter you from buying the car. It's not a sign of abuse or mistreatment.

The rotors are fine as long as the cracks aren't touching.
Old 01-13-2011 | 03:39 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
Yep, exactly correct. It's common and I wouldn't let that (alone) deter you from buying the car. It's not a sign of abuse or mistreatment.

The rotors are fine as long as the cracks aren't touching.
i would tell seller to shell out $500 for new rotors.
Old 01-13-2011 | 04:35 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i would tell seller to shell out $500 for new rotors.
Is that what new rotors cost (approx)????
Old 01-13-2011 | 04:55 PM
mobonic
Drifting

the paint turn red from heat as described above, 95% of these tracked car will have maroon rotors that started red.

If you do a ppi on the car ask the dealer to look at the dust boots and pistons on the calipers... if they got too hot it might have fried the seals and then you will need new calipers, but that only happens every blue moon.

I'd tell the seller to lower the price $1k because you will have to buy new rotors and perhaps service the calipers.... if the rest of the car checks out, and its a good price.. do not hesitate... these 997S's have been proven to be great track cars and much better than the 996 C2 variants.

I have 2.5 years of track time on my 997S
Old 01-13-2011 | 05:47 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Is that what new rotors cost (approx)????
Front rotors are $335/pair and rears are $290/pair from Suncoast.

The rotors on the car could have years more street driving in them even if they've got cracks, though. Depends on how long the cracks are. I've had cracks on my front rotors since my first track day ever and I'm still on the original rotors -- tens of thousands of street miles later and thousands of track miles. They're getting kinda close, though, I doubt they'll last through the summer.
Old 01-13-2011 | 06:33 PM
Adam Conrad
Advanced

Pcars love the track and we love driving them there. Maroon calipers are the result +1 to all the posters on here. Most have found the harder compound brakes which last longer result in more rotor abuse. I replace my rotors if the cracks go all the way to the edge of the disc.
Old 01-14-2011 | 01:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by mobonic
the paint turn red from heat as described above, 95% of these tracked car will have maroon rotors that started red.

If you do a ppi on the car ask the dealer to look at the dust boots and pistons on the calipers... if they got too hot it might have fried the seals and then you will need new calipers, but that only happens every blue moon.

I'd tell the seller to lower the price $1k because you will have to buy new rotors and perhaps service the calipers.... if the rest of the car checks out, and its a good price.. do not hesitate... these 997S's have been proven to be great track cars and much better than the 996 C2 variants.

I have 2.5 years of track time on my 997S
You can replace the dust boots and piston gaskets. I just did that on mine. My outer boots were fired but the inner ones were fine. My calipers are maroon too. I just leave them that way until I get ready to sell or trade the car and then I have them painted.

You can have the calipers rebuilt and painted for around $800ish. The front and rear rotors will be another $600, complete brake fluid flush is another $100 and new brake pads around $450 for stock ones. So to make the brake like new you are looking at around $1900ish-$2100.
Old 01-14-2011 | 01:54 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

+1 to all comments - spot on

Don't forget to also look at the DME readout, especially since it has been tracked... Porsches tend to be tanks, but you should wary of Level 5 & 6 ignitions due to money shifts...

-B
Old 01-14-2011 | 01:59 AM
mobonic
Drifting

I;d prefer a car that was tracked but not abused.

I change my oil every other mont and tranny fluid every 3 months... I also do maintenance all the time.

many babied cars have never had a oil change since the day there were bought because Porsche tells them its ok until 10K miles...

New fluids will make your engine and tranny last 2 times longer IMO.. a happy engine is cool and clean engine!
Old 01-14-2011 | 11:03 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 125shifter
I'm looking to buy a 997S that's apparently been tracked due to the cracks in the front rotors. What seems strange is the calipers look like they were originally red but the front calipers have turned maroon. The paint on the calipers looks original. Has anyone seen this discoloration?
If the fronts are "marooned" and the rears are still red I'd certainly account for this in your negotiations. Despite not impacting braking performance, the front to rear aesthetics would be hideous, imo.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2011 | 02:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

+1 on replacing brake piston seals. I've done this on several cars. The big problem with burnt/cracked seals is dirt accumulation on the pistons. If the pistons aren't cleaned prior to retraction at a pad change you risk scoring the pistons and/or bores. That might lead to replacement calipers down the road.
Old 01-15-2011 | 12:00 PM
thinklabinc
Advanced

Since seeing how amazingly easy brake pad replacement is at a DE event, I was going to take on my front/read pad replacement myself.....for those of you who have purchased pads/rotors from suncoast are they Porsche factory/OEM?

Quick Reply: Brake question on 997S that's been tracked.