Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer ?s - reset?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011 | 07:22 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Default Computer ?s - reset?

Had an emergy smog done yesterday and had the oil changed as well - indy ran out of oil, and the power off (no dip stick) during the change had bearing on the computer - no longer see tire pressure

is there an easy fix, or is this going to require a visit to the dealer?
Old 01-05-2011 | 08:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Have you gone through the process to select and reset the TPM info in the on-board computer? How-to is in the manual.
Old 01-05-2011 | 10:07 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

What's an emergy smog?
Old 01-05-2011 | 10:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by JW911
What's an emergy smog?
I think the OP meant 'emergency' smog [check].

Just looking over my 03 Turbo's CA registration notice -- due the 8th of Jan. -- and noticed a smog check is required.

So I'm in the process of having an 'emergency' smog check done to my car.

Tomorrow on the way to work I'll hit every smog check station until I can find one that can take the car right away and of course accomodate a Turbo with AWD. (The smog check requires the engine be run at 1500 and 2500 in gear on rollers.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-05-2011 | 10:56 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

new to state of CA car required smog, was hanging up registration @dmv (PITA)

I'll check the manual - thanks for the heads up (should've been a no brainer...I know)
Old 01-06-2011 | 01:01 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macster
Tomorrow on the way to work I'll hit every smog check station until I can find one that can take the car right away and of course accomodate a Turbo with AWD. (The smog check requires the engine be run at 1500 and 2500 in gear on rollers.)
Has the requirement changed recently? I'm fairly sure that since most smog testing stations aren't set up for AWD vehicles, that the old TSI (Two Speed Idle) test without the rollers is still used for those cars.
Old 01-07-2011 | 06:03 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Had an emergy smog done yesterday and had the oil changed as well - indy ran out of oil, and the power off (no dip stick) during the change had bearing on the computer - no longer see tire pressure

is there an easy fix, or is this going to require a visit to the dealer?
Ok, let me try and parse what you said here:

You had an oil change that was 'incomplete', with the car powered down (not sure a smog check should have any bearing on this)...

The oil level sensor should read what ever level of oil is in the car, so getting the level right later should not affect things.

The gas level sensor gets really confused if you go from 1/8th of a tank and splash in a gallon or two or don't fill it up past a certain point.. so always fill the tank full if possible. But the oil sensor is capable of detecting top off quantities... as we must with the 997.

From what I gather the only issue you actually have is that the on board computer (in the cluster display) no longer shows the tire pressures. Is that 'screen' no longer available in the rotation? (ie the stalk scrolling through the various screens, never gives you a TPM screen?)
Old 01-09-2011 | 01:44 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Minok
Ok, let me try and parse what you said here:

You had an oil change that was 'incomplete', with the car powered down (not sure a smog check should have any bearing on this)...

The oil level sensor should read what ever level of oil is in the car, so getting the level right later should not affect things.

The gas level sensor gets really confused if you go from 1/8th of a tank and splash in a gallon or two or don't fill it up past a certain point.. so always fill the tank full if possible. But the oil sensor is capable of detecting top off quantities... as we must with the 997.

From what I gather the only issue you actually have is that the on board computer (in the cluster display) no longer shows the tire pressures. Is that 'screen' no longer available in the rotation? (ie the stalk scrolling through the various screens, never gives you a TPM screen?)
had an oil change scheduled, went in the day prior to get a smog done (so I could register the car, having brought it in from out of state)

correct, what had been "the norm" (tire pressure indicated) is now missing. since it is new to me, I ma not yet familiar with the on board computer, its rotation or even how to find out how to rotate (sorry, I am bone headed on this for now - need to study up I guess)!
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:53 PM
Minok
Drifting

I'm not aware that one looses the TPMS view in the rotation unless there is something customizable in the TPMS setting that may control if its displayed or not. It certainly sounds unusual.
Old 01-12-2011 | 07:05 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

I'd love a tutorial
Old 01-13-2011 | 05:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Has the requirement changed recently? I'm fairly sure that since most smog testing stations aren't set up for AWD vehicles, that the old TSI (Two Speed Idle) test without the rollers is still used for those cars.
No the requirement has not changed. The Turbo is my first AWD and this is the first time it has required a smog check and all I had to go on was my Boxster and every smog check has its rear tires on rollers.

Anyhow, I had the Turbo smog'd the other day. I watched the process. No rollers were involved. The car sat on the ground and the tech ran the rpms up and that was that. Only one exhaust sniffer in one exhaust pipe outlet (the driver's side).

Car passed just fine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-13-2011 | 05:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macster
No the requirement has not changed. The Turbo is my first AWD and this is the first time it has required a smog check and all I had to go on was my Boxster and every smog check has its rear tires on rollers.

Anyhow, I had the Turbo smog'd the other day. I watched the process. No rollers were involved. The car sat on the ground and the tech ran the rpms up and that was that. Only one exhaust sniffer in one exhaust pipe outlet (the driver's side).

Car passed just fine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the follow up.
Old 01-15-2011 | 04:44 AM
winkingchef
Pro

You're in SF.
If you're not going to Sokul @ Euro Motorcars, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Old 01-15-2011 | 03:11 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by winkingchef
You're in SF.
If you're not going to Sokul @ Euro Motorcars, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Sokul did my clutch on the 996. my office in in brisbane, so the daly city dmv was close, as was the guy that did the smog/oil change.

seeing the C2S is under warranty to 2014, I doubt I'll see Sokul any time soon!

he is dialed in though and very fair on price

Quick Reply: Computer ?s - reset?