No Dealership!!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No Dealership!!??

Greetings,

I'm shipping a 2006 997 C4S to Guam. Car has 12k miles and is in excellent condition. There is no Porsche dealer on Guam. Nearest one is in the Philipines - and it will not be feasible to ship the car there for service - even warranty issues. So, the question is about service.

There are a few exotic cars on Guam, including about half a dozen Porsches. There is a particular automotive shop that apparently does most of the maintenance on these cars. And, there are dealers of Lexus, Infinity, Range Rover, etc, available, but they say they don't service Porsches.

So, what would you say to having a 997 where there is no dealer for either regular or warranty service/parts? I'd appreciate any thoughts/ideas/input.

Thanks!

Last edited by gt3'er; 01-09-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Greetings,

I'm shipping a 2006 997 C4S to Guam. Car has 12k miles and is in excellent condition. There is no Porsche dealer on Guam. Nearest one is in the Philipines - and it will not be feasible to ship the car there for service - even warranty issues. So, the question is about service.

There are a few exotic cars on Guam, including about half a dozen Porsches. There is a particular automotive shop that apparently does most of the maintenance on these cars. And, there are dealers of Lexus, Infinity, Range Rover, etc, available, but they say they don't service Porsches.

So, what would you say to having a 997 where there is no dealer for either regular or warranty service/parts? I'd appreciate any thoughts/ideas/input.

Thanks!
I'd be a bit leery.

If the car requires nothing out of the ordinary, just regular servicing, you may be ok but if the car develops a real problem even though of course the problem is not a serious one and readily solveable, you could be looking at having to ship the car to a Porsche dealer for proper repair.

Does the shop that services Porsches have at least up to date Porsche diagnostics computer systems (PIWIS or whatever it is called and for an older car maybe even recent a model as yours it could PST2)?

If not then you could really be up a creek without a dealership.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Thanks Macster. Always appreciate your posts... I'll check on the shops diagnostic capabilities.

Any other thoughts out there would be welcome...
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

no reason to drive a porsche in guam or most any asian countries. you wont get out of reverse.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

True Mooty...Max speed limit on Guam is 35 mph....

But! there are some jungle roads that will be a lot of fun and the patrols are usually drinking coffee at Winchels...
Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I think you are playing Russian Roulette. Our cars require very little regular maintenance and with 12K miles on it you could probably do yourself what little needs to be done. But if anything goes wrong, you will be in deep trouble. Seriously, I would think twice or three times before shipping your car there.

Are you a lawyer? I know Guam's laws are based heavily on Kalifornia and they always sucker in CA lawyers to move there for a few years.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in Guam for a couple years when I was in highschool. No reason to own a prosche in guam. period. roads are very slippery (they have coral mized into it) when wet and it rains almost everyday due to the tropical climate. You'll get as high as 50mph and thats about it. Everyone in Guam owns a toyota pickup because, well it makes sense. Don't do it, its just not worth it. Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Greetings,

Thanks!
You, my friend, are definitely what I call an ENTHUSIAST. Nothing gets in the way of your love of cars.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread reminds of me of this awesome rally Porsche build for a guy on St. Maarten :

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...n-project.html

Some might sway "you don't need a Porsche on St. Maarten" - he said "nah, just give me the rally suspension".
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
no reason to drive a porsche in guam or most any asian countries. you wont get out of reverse.
sorry - just not true

perhaps true for Guam, but a broad stroke of just saying Asian countries just isn't true at all. I can find you some good driving in Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 01-11-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd sell it or store it. Just go there, find a used HiLux or Patrol and drive that. You'll be glad you did. I would do that even if there was a Porsche dealer there.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Wow, some interesting and valid pieces of advice. Thanks very much. Guam is a fun place to have a nice car, and this one is really nice...

As some of you have eluded to...owning and driving a Porsche is not just about going fast. It is a state of mind and being...

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

For what it is worth, I took my 1966 Porsche 912 to Puerto Rico in the late '60 (I was stationed at Ramey AFB) Speed limits were slow and there was no Porsche dealer or independent shop . Granted the 912 was a much less complicated car then the newer models but I was not about to be without my toy and I enjoyed even driving it at reduced speeds. It is a multi-faceted decision. If there are technicians there that can work on the car and if it is checked out and serviced before you go then the only decision is how much enjoyment on a semi-remote assignment does the car bring you. Like Puerto Rico, Guam is a wet climate with rust issues and that should be part of the equation. Not only will the damp climate affect body parts but electronic parts as well. So not an easy decision to make. Good luck
Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pilot. Brings back great memories...I had a '68 912. Brittish Racing Green. Had a ton of fun in that baby. Don't know how many times I took then engine out, just for fun and tinkering. That's the only car I ever made money on...bought it for $3200 and sold it for $5200 (well, an engine, a couple clutches, and a paint job notwithstanding!)

I agree with your thoughts. The hot/humid environment will be tough on the car - no doubt. She's been a garage queen for too long...time to get her out in the sun...pack in plenty of P21S products and put them to good use...

With the X51 package, sport exhaust, and PCCB's - she'll be screaming all the way up to 35 mph and quickly back down to 0!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
For what it is worth, I took my 1966 Porsche 912 to Puerto Rico in the late '60
There is no comparison. PR is 110 miles long and even in the 1960s had major straight roads running the length of the island on the north and south shores (with a ring run of ~250 miles), not to mention the many windy roads through the mountains. Porsche territory. These days PR has a Porsche dealership and is a full-scale PCA region.

Quick Reply: No Dealership!!??