Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. Sonic (underbody) Car Wash or just rinse the underside with a hose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mr. Sonic (underbody) Car Wash or just rinse the underside with a hose?

After taking a road trip, a lot of salt is on the bottom of the car. Would it suffice to just give it a rinse with a garden hose or should it be taken to a professional car wash?

What would you do?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got a good pressure nozzle for your garden hose, that's sufficient. An extension wand with an angled head also helps a lot.

The touchless drive-through places are a decent option for winter washes. Lowered cars can be damaged by them though, so beware.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

It depended upon how picky you want to be. I routinely completely wash and wax the underside of my car once a year, usually in September. It's my method of 'baselining' the car so that I know what has happened under there during the past twelve months (checking bolt torques, panel integrity, and any damage from bottoming out near the front, etc.) If you live in an area in which deicing chemicals are used on the roads you may see longer service life in the car by throughly cleaning that part of the car so that corrosion can't get a foothold. While much of the underside of the 997 is well protected with materials that do not corrode, there are areas that can benefit from a thorough cleaning. One big issue is how road debris can collect on panels and in cracks next to panels. A good high pressure wash will take care of much of that.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

parking over a decent sprinkler that's manual/moveable and moving the car a few times for position can also do a good job of flushing that crap off the underside. Setup in your driveway and go to it.

Quick Reply: Mr. Sonic (underbody) Car Wash or just rinse the underside with a hose?