Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Results of taking clear bra off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:31 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Results of taking clear bra off?

Curious, has anyone taken a clear bra off? I have had it on a grey 997S for 4 years now and its looking a bit ratty. After taking one off do the colors look the same or is there a fade difference? My car is always parked out of the sun if that makes a difference.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Mine was like new when I took it off after 3 years. Car did not spend a lot of time parked in the sun however.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took mine off last summer. Car's been parked in the sun a lot. No paint difference. Car looks great without it.

BTW wait and do it on a hot day in the summer.

Also, after you take it off, give the car a good wash with *Dawn* or similar dish soap - not normal car wash soap - and then re-wax it. Normal car soap is mild and intended to not damage wax; dawn will take it down to bare paint. There's no wax under the bra so the paint need fresh protection.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys. What kind of solvent did you all use to take it off? And the process?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
Thanks guys. What kind of solvent did you all use to take it off? And the process?
I just got a corner started and pulled. No solvent necessary. Others may have had different results.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Dishwashing liquid?....solvents?.... you guys are scaring me!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be scared Fahrer... These are the same guys that drive in rain and snow!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not being a fan of clear bras, but having no choice as it was already on when I bought my new C2S CAB, I removed it immediately. I see no point in buying an incredible car with a gorgeous paint job, then covering it in plastic which hides the true beauty of the car's color. I called the dealer's Autobahn installer who instructed me to remove the film on a hot day with the car sitting in direct sunlight for a couple hours, grab a corner of film and pull in one slow, but steady motion until removed. This was repeated for all film, and it came off with no problems, and using nothing but the sun's heat. Do not use a heat gun, any solvents or liquids of any kind. My 911 was new and only had the film on for a short time before I removed it, yet as you can see it had already yellowed some. In your situation being that your film has been on for years, I would recommend a professional do the job just in case a paint issue develops, you are covered.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Not being a fan of clear bras, but having no choice as it was already on when I bought my new C2S CAB, I removed it immediately. I see no point in buying an incredible car with a gorgeous paint job, then covering it in plastic which hides the true beauty of the car's color.
+1. You can see a crappy clear bra about 2 blocks away. Cheap looking.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

Just be very careful pulling off the bra. As others have mentioned, let the car sit out for a few hours on a warm day, then pull off the film. If you have excess glue or adhesive left behind, simply clay it off. Good luck. Don't forget, if you're near by, you can always take it Premier and they can remove it giving you peace of mind that it will be dine right.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by todd.
Not being a fan of clear bras, but having no choice as it was already on when I bought my new C2S CAB, I removed it immediately. I see no point in buying an incredible car with a gorgeous paint job, then covering it in plastic which hides the true beauty of the car's color. I called the dealer's Autobahn installer who instructed me to remove the film on a hot day with the car sitting in direct sunlight for a couple hours, grab a corner of film and pull in one slow, but steady motion until removed. This was repeated for all film, and it came off with no problems, and using nothing but the sun's heat. Do not use a heat gun, any solvents or liquids of any kind. My 911 was new and only had the film on for a short time before I removed it, yet as you can see it had already yellowed some. In your situation being that your film has been on for years, I would recommend a professional do the job just in case a paint issue develops, you are covered.
Originally Posted by points
+1. You can see a crappy clear bra about 2 blocks away. Cheap looking.

That's why you get a high quality clear bra. I don't know about you but I don't like road rash or paint chips . . . on the front of my beautiful black 911S. By the way, the photos below have anXPEL clear bra on it.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is all original paint, no problem removing as mentioned above. Challenge may be if bumper or fender / hood were repainted. Some shops do not wait for respray to proper cure and if not removed extremely carefully, it can peel the resprayed paint.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:28 AM
pewter82
Drifting

I had a expensive experience removing a faded clear bra off my 993. I have no idea the brand it was, but it detracted from the car in its condition. I removed it and never added it back to the front of the car, but did go with the latest and greatest brand on the rear fender that is wide on the 4S's.
I dislike the clear bra's on cars.

jason
Old 01-01-2011, 10:07 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Headlights will flop around...
Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
Headlights will flop around...
yeah but the nippies will look great

Quick Reply: Results of taking clear bra off?