Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst coil pack ever?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:58 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coil packs are $60+ each and about an hour of labor to change out all of them.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Well, I guess that is not too bad, given on a 993 wires/caps/rotors are quite a bit more than that.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MichaelL
Coil packs are $60+ each and about an hour of labor to change out all of them.
$35-40 online.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:45 AM
box986
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the latest version 997-602-104-00 or 997-602-107-00, I am thinking of doing mine the same time that I change out the plugs.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine after 7 years/ 90K kms year round driving. They weren't throwing codes or affecting idle yet, but they were replaced along with the spark plugs as preventative maintenance.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
cbzzoom

It is pretty amazing how corroded they can get and still function!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
This just came out of my car :

Errm.. ain't there sposed to be some plastic 'round that thar metal?
Why..?

As long as the voltage/current is not compromised why care..?

And the path of the magnetic field is mostly restricted to the metal transformer core, plastic coating doesn't matter one way or another.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

arrrrr matey that thar be rust.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by wwest
Why..?

As long as the voltage/current is not compromised why care..?

And the path of the magnetic field is mostly restricted to the metal transformer core, plastic coating doesn't matter one way or another.
1. The voltage/current is severly compromised (I had no idea that my coils were so bad until I started getting a CEL and misfires)

2. Metal transformer core doesn't work too well when the plates are all distorted and warped. Granted it's hard to see in the picture, but they should be a very dense sandwich of plates, and in the picture they are flayed out with lots of gaps

3. Rust does not conduct electric field well at all

4. Plastic coating keeps out water which is probably the cause of aforementioned warping and rusting

.. but yeah, you can in fact have a coil pack that looks absolutely destroyed still making good spark ... right up until the day that it stops. Anyway, the point is it's something to watch out for. The coil packs do seem to fail in this manner if you drive in snow/wet/etc. You can either wait for the CEL/misfire to get you, or you can have a glance at them and replace them preventatively when they are obviously on their way out like this.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

It is difficult to tell from the pictures but it might be that the metallic part is encapsulatd by injection molding the plastic around it. I am not sure what the plastic would be but there are generally trade-offs with engineering plastics in that a particular plastic might be good at elevated temperature ( less likely to melt) but may be aged by the heat or degraded by chemicals or water at elevated temperatures. Some plastics, scu as polyesters are hydrolysed ( degraded by water at elevated temperatures). Nylon materials tend to absorb moisture and swell slightly ( high temperature nylons in particular). Other plastics have even higher temperature resistence but are easily degraded by salt or glycol. Do not ever let isopropyl alcohol near any plastic or rubber on your car.

In summary, I think is a challenging application for the plastic.... high voltage, high temperature, exposure to water and other liquids/chemicals.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
dc88
Instructor

i just had a check engine light and brought it back to the dealer.

They said the code said all cylinders were misfiring and hence inspected all the coil packs. After the inspection, they found no cracks or problems with the coilpacks and hence just reset the computer and DID NOT replace the coilpacks under warranty.

They refused to do anything despite me complaining that we know the coilpacks is the issue. They took the wait and see approach. Of course my warranty just expired this week!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by dc88
i just had a check engine light and brought it back to the dealer.

They said the code said all cylinders were misfiring and hence inspected all the coil packs. After the inspection, they found no cracks or problems with the coilpacks and hence just reset the computer and DID NOT replace the coilpacks under warranty.

They refused to do anything despite me complaining that we know the coilpacks is the issue. They took the wait and see approach. Of course my warranty just expired this week!
Wow, this exact thing happened to me in February and the dealer replaced all 6 coils under the CPO warranty without hesitation. My warranty expired a week ago. Timing is everything!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Most normal front-engine cars have these things on top of the engine, not the bottom, which protects them a bit.
Who the hell wants normal?

This is why I give my DD a good undercarriage wash every few weeks in the winter.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This phenomena doesn't appear to be a whole lot different than replacing distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires on an older design engine. Ever had misfires & awful running on a damp or rainy day? Replace the parts and the problem is solved. The major diifference is that the parts cost a whole lot more and you need a computer to diagnose it. We are, however, spared changing out or adjusting breaker points and condenser periodically. You could look at the top of the engine and actually know how everything functioned.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

.. the plastic cracks from the heat and water gets inside.
I warned you guys about getting these cars wet. They WILL melt.

Who's laughing about the rain water thread NOW?

Phil

Quick Reply: Worst coil pack ever?