997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly is the difference between the GT3 and the C2S ? I'm actually curious to expand my Porsche knowledge. For example is the chassis exactly the same?

The engine - 'nuff said

Aero kit - not too expensive to add to C2S if you decide you need it

Suspension - lots of us add GT3 parts (sways, LCA's) and lots of GT3 guys upgrade further to JRZ's or Motons or whatever.

Rear seat delete, sunroof delete, alcantara interior, goofy stickers option

Is there anything else that I'm missing ?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:02 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
What exactly is the difference between the GT3 and the C2S ?
The following link is a good start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT3

Also, come visit us at the Rennlist 997 GT2/GT3 forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/), the savvy folks over there can share every single detail of the car to you.

With best regards,
Old 12-26-2010, 05:12 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to set things straight, I'd probably driving a GT3 if I didn't need the rear seats for my kids.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

+1 ^ lol...as would I
Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Nugget

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
+1 ^ lol...as would I
Just curious... If you'd prefer a GT3 but needed back seats, how did you end up in a 4S? Seems like you'd prefer a 2 over the 4.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Lol...guess I should update my nick

Indeed you are correct...definitely prefer the litheness of the C2S

(Also why I chose against the Turbo...but I'll whisper that in case I ignite another debate...)

Originally had a 996.2 C4S ...then 997.1 GT3...now 997.2 C2S
Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 AM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
The following link is a good start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT3

Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both engine and transmission are different cbzzoom. There are even transmission differences between the GT3 and GT3 RS. However, I don't know how difficult it is to fit that engine/transmission in a Carrera. The shifter is different (I don't know how similar or dissimilar to the Sport shifter for the Carrera, but it definitely has a different feel from the shifter in the normal Carrera/ Carrera S). I'm unsure if there are other differences between the suspension that may be more difficult to add on than the lower control arms and sway bar. There are differences to brake cooling (especially on the 997.2 GT3 RS), and while these can be added to the earlier car, it takes some work (even for the 997.1 GT3 RS). The added cooling really helps on the track, though.

Unfortunately, I've never looked into the full details of the differences, so that's all the information I can add to your list of differences from above.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

OK. I am back. Great discussion. Thanks to all who shared their experiences and opinions. FWIW, I prefer manual transmissions and have NO interest in things like PDK, Cayennes, or Panameras. I ended up driving a 997.2 S and a 997.2 GT3 back to back the other day along the same stretches of roads and freeway. Here is what happened.

I drove the 997.2 S first, and I really liked it. The throttle response was immediate. The car felt light. The transmission and clutch were buttery smooth. I was able to get the rear end to wiggle out a little bit here and there. The ride was comfortable. It was plenty fast. All in all, it felt very much like my 997.1 S felt, which for me was a good thing because I loved that car. That same car with a slightly stiffer suspension and a little more horsepower (ie the GTS) would be more than I would ever need in a DD sports car.

Then I drove the GT3. I had been cautioned by several people that the GT3 would be a harsh and loud ride. The clutch was much stiffer than the one on my turbo and the one on the S, but not too different from the one on my '87 Carrera. Even through the mall traffic I had to navigate, it was no big deal to drive the GT3 confidently and competently. The suspension was noticeably firmer than the other cars' but not uncomfortable for me. I didn't find it all that loud inside the cockpit either. What I did find was a lot of satisfaction driving this car. The throttle response and engine song were spine-tingling. And, my goodness, it is FAST! My impression of this car was that of a refined precise instrument. To use a cliched analogy, the S is a very very good multipurpose knife. The GT3 is a scalpel.

So I thanked my salesman and wished everyone there at the dealership a Merry Christmas and hopped back into my '09 turbo and drove home pondering my choices. On the way home I was looking around the interior of the turbo that I so carefully spec'ed out just two years ago. I looked at all the leather and fine stitching, the Riviera blue painted center console, and the wart (ugh). I thought about how comfortable this car is, just like the GTS would be. I thought about how freaking fast it is, kind of like the GT3 would be, not exactly, but still really fast.

It occurred to me that the car I have right now is pretty much just what I need at this time in my life. I am not a race car driver. I am not a track junkie. I prefer to use other people's cars for DE (PSDS). And I want a comfortable car that kicks me in the rear when I push down the pedal on the right. I have that right now! Sure I give up rear wheel drive and immediate throttle response, but the turbo is certainly no slouch. Maybe a little fat and soft, but no slouch.

Coupled with these revelations was the frank reality of the incredible hit I was going to take on turning in the turbo and the need to outlay more cash ($20K-$40K) for either new car. It made absolutely no sense. I know there will be those who say that if it were about making sense I would be driving a Honda and not a Porsche. Yes, agreed. But this kind of double whammy REALLY doesn't make sense.

For awhile the grass looked really really green on the other side of the fence. It was fun learning more about these two incredible cars, and I enjoyed the exercise. But the lesson for me was that I have the best of both of those cars in the turbo, and for me right now, the turbo is the right car...or maybe the GT2...
Old 12-27-2010, 02:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

Then I drove the GT3. I had been cautioned by several people that the GT3 would be a harsh and loud ride. The clutch was much stiffer than the one on my turbo and the one on the S, but not too different from the one on my '87 Carrera. Even through the mall traffic I had to navigate, it was no big deal to drive the GT3 confidently and competently. The suspension was noticeably firmer than the other cars' but not uncomfortable for me. I didn't find it all that loud inside the cockpit either. What I did find was a lot of satisfaction driving this car. The throttle response and engine song were spine-tingling. And, my goodness, it is FAST! My impression of this car was that of a refined precise instrument. To use a cliched analogy, the S is a very very good multipurpose knife. The GT3 is a scalpel.
We told you so..

It was fun learning more about these two incredible cars, and I enjoyed the exercise.
And thanks for posting Fun to read your observations.

But the lesson for me was that I have the best of both of those cars in the turbo, and for me right now, the turbo is the right car...or maybe the GT2...
Ahhh, now you're being all perfectly logical and stuff, so here you go:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
What exactly is the difference between the GT3 and the C2S ? I'm actually curious to expand my Porsche knowledge. For example is the chassis exactly the same?

The engine - 'nuff said

Aero kit - not too expensive to add to C2S if you decide you need it

Suspension - lots of us add GT3 parts (sways, LCA's) and lots of GT3 guys upgrade further to JRZ's or Motons or whatever.

Rear seat delete, sunroof delete, alcantara interior, goofy stickers option

Is there anything else that I'm missing ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the 997 GT3 had a mandatory sunroof.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the 997 GT3 had a mandatory sunroof.
For the US market:
997.1 GT3 has mandatory sunroof.
997.1 GT3 RS, and all 997.2 GT3 and GT3 RS have no sunroof.

For ROW I have no idea, but I think they've always been able to sunroof delete even with the 997.1 GT3.

Last edited by Nugget; 12-27-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: There's a whole world outside the US...
Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
But the lesson for me was that I have the best of both of those cars in the turbo, and for me right now, the turbo is the right car...or maybe the GT2...
Thanks for the thread and the followup. These "I'm just thinking aloud..." threads help us all to better define what we want from our cars. Reading threads like this makes us all better buyers and, hopefully, allows us to buy the right car for our needs the next time we're shopping.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

To the OP:

I believe you made the right decision based on your intended uses for the vehicle. It is also a bonus that this decision is the right one financially. The turbo is great - take care of it!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

OMG Cowhorn,....I'm glad you came to your senses!

Your Riviera Blue, last of the GT1 09 Turbo with Aerokit is a great car among great cars. Consider doing some track days with that beauty if you need to revive your relationship with it!

Your turbo ROCKS!

Quick Reply: GT3 or GTS?