Sponsored by:

GT3 or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by grizfish
You guys certainly have a subjective discussion going here. All the high and low points have been covered. That only leaves my opinion:

In my garage, there is a 7.1 GT3 that is not necessarily a "DD" or a "Trak Hoe."
It is truly an "Attitude Adjustment Machine."
Always comfortable and quiet enough for me, and always ready for a go at most anything.
There are places for silence, but not in my GT3.
If you can't feel the road, you're in trouble.

Oh, about the GTS. Sorry, but I have no need to find out how fitting it may be.
What you have here is a die-hard, narrow-minded, sauerkraut eating, son of a German, GT3 nut.
+1

There is a reason you don't see the same discussion on the gt3 board

You can make all the arguments you want of why to buy a gts.....it still will never be a gt3
Old 12-25-2010, 11:03 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Drive a Carrera S and a GT3. Decide which is your favorite.

A GTS is a fully optioned C2S.

A GT3 is a GT3.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
There is a reason you don't see the same discussion on the gt3 board
Why?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Originally Posted by Nugget
Why?
Because, between the two, from a driver's standpoint, the GT3 is thhttps://rennlist.com/forums/dealer_listings.phpe better car.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:18 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Old 12-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Because, between the two, from a driver's standpoint, the GT3 is thhttps://rennlist.com/forums/dealer_listings.phpe better car.
See, I have a different theory. I think that this issue doesn't really come up on the GT3 forum because all of us in there seem to be track junkies who take our cars out on the track. As a predictable consequence, we've decided to get GT3s because you can appreciate and exploit its benefits on a track.

The original poster, who asked the question that began this thread, does not plan to take his car to the track. The right answer for him may not be the same answer that you or I chose for our needs. That's valid.

Which car is the "better" car depends on the driver and their goals. There is no one right answer. I think that for the person we're talking to here the GTS is the better choice. That is what this thread is about, right?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

I blame the 911
Old 12-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche continues to build up their 911 model line in such a way that each model represents a particular combination of capabilities. The GTS was introduced recently to span the sizable gap between a Carrera S and a GT3. It's something they knew they were creating when they released the GT3, but failed to address until now.

For those seeking the amalgam-jarring GT3 performance there is no substitute. For those who want some comfort in their mere cruising the Carrera is the logical choice. And then there are those who want something in the middle!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsche continues to build up their 911 model line in such a way that each model represents a particular combination of capabilities. The GTS was introduced recently to span the sizable gap between a Carrera S and a GT3. It's something they knew they were creating when they released the GT3, but failed to address until now.

For those seeking the amalgam-jarring GT3 performance there is no substitute. For those who want some comfort in their mere cruising the Carrera is the logical choice. And then there are those who want something in the middle!
Well put....

If you buy a gts and become a track rat, you will spend thousands making it into a car it can't be......

If you are a track junkie, starting fresh you will go straight to a gt3
Old 12-25-2010, 11:39 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or do people buy the gt3 just for bragging rights?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
I'm sure some do, of course. Just like some people buy a Porsche just for the marque or the prestige.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Bragging rights have been a part of Porsches since they first arrived on the scene. The more 'adjusted' owners are able to figure out what their true requirements are without resorting to getting a model that they have been talked into by someone else, a salesman, or was something they thought they wanted 20 years ago. Prospective buyers should decide what is important to them (and not to others) and then test drive the range of cars that should include their needs. A good example of this issue of 'bragging rights' has pretty much always been the turbo models. Many simply see it as the 'pinnicle' of the 911 line while others see it for what it is--another model that simply offers different things to different people. Porsche has put a great deal of effort into providing prospective Porsche owners with a vast variety of models from which to choose. Many prospective owners lack the maturity to understand what they truly want from these cars and are driven by peer pressure or a need to make a statement. Test drive several so that you can best size up for yourself what each model has to offer.

(It's sort of like selecting ski boots. Don't base your purchase decision solely upon marketing pitches by various manufacturers. Try the ones you're most interested in and wear each pair around the ski shop for about 30 minutes. Then go try the next pair. At the end of the exercise purchase the ones that ultimately were the most comfortable--not the most expensive, or neatest color, or with some occasional feature that you will rarely exploit. At the end of each 7-hour ski day you will appreciate what you did for yourself).
Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas911
Bragging right when running great lap time on the tracks? Very likely. Bragging right of just buying a GT3? Very few.

Visit the Rennlist 997 GT2/GT3 sub-forum, and will notice most GT3/GT3RS owners are very passionate about driving/tracking and technical know-hows of their cars -- a nine pages long thread just to discuss about 'the torque/specs of tightening the wheels on track use' is not unusual in there.

With best regards,
Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
\Is the GT3 a great DD...ahh rather depends on your definition of "great". Spanking the throttle, letting the engine rip to 8400rpm and luxuriating in the sonic delights as the wail flows through your body - and off the underpass - on your way to work....F()ck yes!...One did arrive grinning like a cheshire cat...a useful mindset cleanse..if you will.

Now, shift the scene a little...tough day...and you're caught in a texas style deluge, "wading home" in bumper to bumper traffic usings MPSCs, with a clutch that feels like a leg press, with a suspension helpfully pointing out that some Houston roads would struggle to pass muster in Lagos....and you are less enamoured. A C2S equipped with PDK is a remarkably flexible, companion....damn civil to be around on days such as those...and then able to get down right focused/aggresive when needed...

I shifted from a GT3 because I needed two rear seats....I surrendered visceral feedback and sonic delights for a rather easier tool to wend my way around in....And whilst a Tubi or PSE might get you some of the sonics....its not quite the same banshee wail as the Mezger emulating Wagner (and as you might have gleaned I do miss that stimulation )

Either way you will be grinning...but for rather different reasons....suffice either way you'll shape some memories that will be choice
+1. I think what differentiates the GT3 apart from the rest of the 911 line (GTS included) is that "visceral" feel when driving. Nugget is right that most people buy the GT3 for the track, but I am certain that others buy it for the sound/feel as well...

Personally, I'd own a 997 GT3 as a DD if the prices were sub $60K. The 996 GT3 fits that price point, but does not have corrosion protection. As I live in snow country, that is a non-starter...

Just drive them both and let us know your decision!

-B
Old 12-26-2010, 12:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

But now I wonder if even the GT3 is worth it for the track. Unless you're racing, all those upgrades are overkill for even the average DE. So might as well get the GTS.
Yes it is and no overkill for the track at all!

Unless I missed it, I believe OP did not answer the question if he wants PDK or has his mind set on a manual. If manual, it depends on him wether or not the GT3 is OK as a daily driver. I think the RS is super comfy for my 20 mile daily drive with few lights and no traffic.

If you get a GT3 for the street that IS overkill, but it feels more alive, even on the street.
I would think that the GTS is a "better" car for OP, but he might not agree once he takes a GT3 around the block...

Bragging right when running great lap time on the tracks? Very likely.
FLATOUT, that's how I drive, FLATOUT.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0LsKITTHSA

Quick Reply: GT3 or GTS?