Cabriolet Snow Day

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
After seeing these pics I just know I am gonna have nightmares.
More power to you guys! I won't be doing the same.
I agree with you. Although it looks like a lot of fun and I used to drive my 914 through the snow back when I was younger and only had one car, it's the salt that's my biggest concern so my P cars will try to avoid snow altogether.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by todd.
As for the floor mats, I have Porsche Heavy-Duty Rubber Floor Mats which fit like a glove, look great, and offer complete protection all year.
Ohmigosh! They have heavy duty rubber floor mats? I have the "regular" rubber floor mats, and I thought they didn't look "all-weather" enough when I picked them up from the dealer. Didn't know I had the option to get "heavy-duty" mats. Damn! Were these ordered from your dealer?

-Jay
Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scda1.com/events/detail_by_id/113348119
Check out that first photo...
Old 12-23-2010, 08:21 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 333 Posts

For your guys with winter tires - how do these tires work in just cold weather not snow? Does the car handle as well as it does in the summer with summer tires?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pilfjd
Didn't know I had the option to get "heavy-duty" mats. Damn! Were these ordered from your dealer?
-Jay
I ordered them from Suncoast
Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by E55AMG
For your guys with winter tires - how do these tires work in just cold weather not snow? Does the car handle as well as it does in the summer with summer tires?
For great cold weather performance & awesome warm weather performance Bridgestone RE960AS M+S are the best in my opinion, & do very well in light snow. I AutoX'd my 960AS's last summer and they rocked. For more than 2 inches of snow & ice a dedicated snow tire is the only safe solution, but they offer no perfomance on dry pavement.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:05 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I can't say it handles as well as with summer tires, but for normal driving it still handles far better than 98% of other cars. No good for the track, but I still have fun on the highway ramps.

Last edited by JW911; 07-06-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking to get that shot tomorrow as it will be clear, unlike last Friday. However I forgot to put a memory card in the camera, so video may have to suffice.

Seem to even work fine in not-so-cold. I'd guess it was almost 65 when I drove the car back out to the shop Monday. While it's not going to "handle" as well (205 front and 235 rear tires will compromise that in and of itself), it tracks true at sane highway speeds. I can't really say the last time I drove the C4S to even 75% of its capability on a public road anyway. But I'm just using them for back-and-forth to the snow. After Saturday, either the 18s or 19s will go back on until I head up skiing again in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Skibum
Banned

Yo Todd.. looking like another play day is coming for you.
Enjoy the snow. It's looking like we are going to get dumped on.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Keep in mind that a true snow tire is designed primarily to perform optimally in snow--packed snow. It is worthless on ice. It loses much of its snow capability on clear pavement when it wears. In the ideal world you would run on some tire during the cold season but be able to switch to pure snows when the snow falls. When I go skiing many miles away I take my VW Vanagon and carry 4 Michelin Alpins in the back along with a floor jack. When I get to where conditions dictate snow tires I pull over and do a wheel swap. As soon as conditions permit again I get them off to preserve them.

With the Porsches ambient air temperatures greatly influence summer tire performance. Once temps are below 40ºF you need to be on a tire designed for colder weather. Many snow tires today are formulated with oils that work well in colder temperatures.

No Porsche will ever "handle" as well as a summer tire equipped Porsche on the dry warm pavement of summer. To improve your chances get winter snow tires and then practice, practice, practice.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Just got back to NYC from Stowe, VT. Snow in Stowe; drove through blizzard to get home. No problems.

Car: 2010 C4S w/ 18" Michelin Pilot Alpin 2 tires.

In Stowe, I made it up an unsanded driveway that defeated serveral two wheel drive cars.

Driving south from VT, the biggest problem was the ice tended to clog the front wipers which then smeared. The rear wiper worked perfectly. The front defroster is powerful -- maybe too much so for comfort. The heated steering wheel and seat were wonderful.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:15 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Keep in mind that a true snow tire is designed primarily to perform optimally in snow--packed snow. It is worthless on ice. It loses much of its snow capability on clear pavement when it wears. In the ideal world you would run on some tire during the cold season but be able to switch to pure snows when the snow falls. When I go skiing many miles away I take my VW Vanagon and carry 4 Michelin Alpins in the back along with a floor jack. When I get to where conditions dictate snow tires I pull over and do a wheel swap. As soon as conditions permit again I get them off to preserve them.

With the Porsches ambient air temperatures greatly influence summer tire performance. Once temps are below 40ºF you need to be on a tire designed for colder weather. Many snow tires today are formulated with oils that work well in colder temperatures.

No Porsche will ever "handle" as well as a summer tire equipped Porsche on the dry warm pavement of summer. To improve your chances get winter snow tires and then practice, practice, practice.
Edgy, that vanagon tire changing stuff is seriously OCD. Really, you have a problem. Just drive...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Best bet for cold pavement with light snow is probably Pirelli Sottozeros:

http://www.pirelli.ca/web/catalog/ca...pe=CAR-SUV-VAN
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

That Pirelli looks really nice!

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Snow Day