Sponsored by:

Increasing ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
My nose is quite low and I don't have a replaceable lip, just a really expensive RUF bumper that I don't ever want to have to replace, which is one of the reasons I have the AirLift kit. I also think it extends forward a bit further than a stock or aero kit bumper.

It's really nice to be pulling out of a drive at about zero speed, optimally angled, waiting for that crunching, scraping, dragging sound....and never hear it
Just looking at your car, my front end is lower than that and you seem to have modified your front bumper and you have lower profile tyres and larger wheels, I will take pictures and send tomorrow, I'm sure it's probably the bad front shocks because I bought the car with profile 40 tyres and the front end really should not be that low.

Just looked at all your cars Petza
Old 07-18-2016, 10:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

Thanks. Wheels are 19s (Champion RS171). Front tires are 235/35. Suspension is Bilstein B16 Damptronics with Tarret monoball top mounts and the AirLift assemblies at the top.

Originally Posted by Kaychub
Just looking at your car, my front end is lower than that and you seem to have modified your front bumper and you have lower profile tyres and larger wheels, I will take pictures and send tomorrow, I'm sure it's probably the bad front shocks because I bought the car with profile 40 tyres and the front end really should not be that low.

Just looked at all your cars Petza
Old 07-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Thanks. Wheels are 19s (Champion RS171). Front tires are 235/35. Suspension is Bilstein B16 Damptronics with Tarret monoball top mounts and the AirLift assemblies at the top.

How much did the whole setup cost you and where did you buy them from?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaychub
How much did the whole setup cost you and where did you buy them from?
I had been amassing parts to do it all at one time for quite a while as they would come up for sale on the forums. The complete suspension project included.
  • Full RSS Stage 2 setup - Rear Dog Bones, F&R Toe Kits, F&R Lower control Arms, F&R Adj Sway Bars with Adj Drop Links, Semi-solid motor mounts (some new / some used)
  • Cargraphic AirLift (used GT3 version I had to modify for my C2S)
  • Tarett Monoball Top Mounts (new)
  • Bilstein B16 Damptronics (used)
  • Thrust bearings for the Front Bilsteins to prevent binding & popping (new)
  • smaller Optima Battery (new) to make space in the battery compartment for the AirLift control box & compressor (wanted everything hidden beneath the plastic trim panels to preserve storage space and keep it looking stock)

All of these together added up to about $10,000 in parts and I did all the installation work myself so there's no labor # in there. Also added the TPC DSC kit (also not in that #) and the car is comfortable, yet handles unbelievably. Turned out just how I hoped it would. These mods were done back in March 2014 and the DSC controller added in September of that same year.

Here are a few pics and good luck with your project. Let me know if I can answer any questions. If you want to email me, my address is petza914@gmail.com

Old 07-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

I had been amassing parts to do it all at one time for quite a while as they would come up for sale on the forums. The complete suspension project included.
  • Full RSS Stage 2 setup - Rear Dog Bones, F&R Toe Kits, F&R Lower control Arms, F&R Adj Sway Bars with Adj Drop Links, Semi-solid motor mounts (some new / some used)
  • Cargraphic AirLift (used GT3 version I had to modify for my C2S)
  • Tarett Monoball Top Mounts (new)
  • Bilstein B16 Damptronics (used)
  • Thrust bearings for the Front Bilsteins to prevent binding & popping (new)
  • smaller Optima Battery (new) to make space in the battery compartment for the AirLift control box & compressor (wanted everything hidden beneath the plastic trim panels to preserve storage space and keep it looking stock)

All of these together added up to about $10,000 in parts and I did all the installation work myself so there's no labor # in there. Also added the TPC DSC kit (also not in that #) and the car is comfortable, yet handles unbelievably. Turned out just how I hoped it would. These mods were done back in March 2014 and the DSC controller added in September of that same year.

Here are a few pics and good luck with your project. Let me know if I can answer any questions. If you want to email me, my address is petza914@gmail.com

Fantastic! Thank you
Old 11-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Kaychub
Advanced

Hi All,

Just returning to say thanks to everyone helped out with my ground clearance issues and let y'all know I've sorted it out.

I got a set of lightly used stock C2 shocks from ebay for $700 all four including the springs, so I just did a direct swap, for the front I added 6mm compensating plates in addition to the 3mm one's that came with the shocks, ground clearance and ride is perfect now for these bumpy roads.

Thanks again y'all!

Last edited by Kaychub; 11-08-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Small error
Old 11-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe I'm reading a thread about lifting a 911...
If it's that much of an issue, don't daily it on the bad route.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander
I can't believe I'm reading a thread about lifting a 911...
If it's that much of an issue, don't daily it on the bad route.
That would mean not owning one at all, not a chance! The roads are generally not too sexy in my country except some of the highways, and absolutely no tracks, but gotta have me my 911 fix. Either way, it works super for me...
Old 02-13-2017, 06:11 PM
realq86
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
my car sits fairly low. 997 GTS SPASM. I'm happy with how low it is.. but it very occasionally (I only know one spot in town that I regularly drive by) will have a light scrape on the lip. It doesn't bother me so much considering how light the contact is, and I can drive to minimize down to a hardly discernible brush.

I recently changed the wheels on the car and changed up from OE tire spec. I went from OE spec to GT2 RS tire sizing. My reason for doing that was threefold. Getting wider wheels, OE spec had a slightly stretched look I don't like, and to fill in the wheel gap just a touch. No desire to move up from the SPASM to an aftermarket setup just yet. A fringe benefit of that has been just a few mm difference in absolute ride height. I'd imagine not more than 5mm, if that. But its just enough that I don't scrape on that one spot on my way to the office anymore.

Something to consider.

edit;

just realized the poster above me is necroposting

Hi, new 997 GTS with SPASM here too.
Like to confirm you are running.
Front: 245/35-19 19X9
Rear: 325/30-19 10x12

Without problems of touching the fender or control arms?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 06:43 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I run 18s for my track wheels with tires that match that sizing on 19s. No rubbing and even room for a 5mm spacer in back. This is with 8.5" backspacing and 51 ET. Hope that helps.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just going to say, on my other car, I did the lipectomy. It really does seem designed to do no more than slow you down for fear of making awful and embarrassing noises. But there's no more front end scraping now!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:31 PM
Vlad Marin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon, I installed in the springs "air cylinders"

This allows me to adjust the height of the clearance

I put myself the first option, but there is more

v.1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AirLift-Up-S...FX1a4X&vxp=mtr

v.2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Lift-607...hYsKrb&vxp=mtr
Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 AM
SilverC2
7th Gear

Thumbs up

Hi all,

I just wanted to add that there is a very cheap solution to this.

I installed 1999 996 C2 front springs on my 2005 997 C2S and now both front and rear gaps are same and I don't scrape my aftermarket GT3 front bumper (with lip) anymore.

I made a video on how to do it:

Hope this helps someone to save hundreds of dollars they can use for some other mod

Ivan

Clears my driveway

...what speed bumps?

Frontal shot

Before

After

Last edited by SilverC2; 12-28-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 12-28-2018, 12:08 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad you fixed your front. Be aware though that Porsche intentionally sets up the suspension with a rake - the front is slightly lower than the rear - to help with aerodynamics. If the front alone is raised too much then the aerodynamics are messed up causing front end lift at high speed. Daily driving this way is one thing. Driving at high speed is another. Be careful!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:33 PM
SilverC2
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I see we have similar set ups . I drove it at 110 mph the other day and it was planted..no issues. I believe that the front bumper helps to steer the air to the sides and over the car. I really raised it only two inches. I keep looking at other 997s and they all have more of a gap than I did before so there must have been something off about those springs...maybe aftermarket? My wife drives the car often as well so I rather be safe than sorry

Quick Reply: Increasing ground clearance