Sponsored by:

Increasing ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Increasing ground clearance

I've got a 997.1 with PASM. Some may flame me for even considering this but has anyone raised thier car a bit? Any ideas on how best to accomplish this? I live in NJ and I scrape speed bumps and even certain abberations in the road multiple times every day. I'm not excited about the prospect of replacing a paper thin bumper cover a few years from now. Even 20mm would probably help greatly.

I could probably put a 20mm shim above each of the struts but then I'd have to adjust the camber. Any advice on this? I'd prefer not to replace the the entire suspension. I'm wondering if there is shimming that I can do or something to try it out for a while.

thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There are at least two aftermarket "front end lift" systems on the market. Techart makes one and Cargraphic makes another one (and Sharky sells both). I don't have any direct experience with either -- I decided to just replace my front splitter from time to time and deal with the scrapes. Not trying to win any Concours with my car.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

very strange. My lowered 993 hardly ever scrapes.

perhaps you need to slow down a touch over road aberations?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

No amount of slowing down can accommodate the 30" axle-to-lip front overhang on a 997 if the entry angle is too steep. It's sort of absurd. I scrape my front lip at least four times a day (coming and going from my driveway, coming and going from my office parking deck). There are some parking lots here in Houston I can't negotiate at any speed. Granted, it's worse with the aerokit front bumper, but I had issues even in my C2S.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm rolling with just the stock front bumpercover c2s. no aerokit.

Both of those front end lifting kits mntioned above are the kind that you need to electronically activate to raise the front. I'm really looking for something that is always raised because i'm not really sure when I'll need it. I guess it would also help with snow slightly.

maybe just taller springs with the same spring rate?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
No amount of slowing down can accommodate the 30" axle-to-lip front overhang on a 997 if the entry angle is too steep. It's sort of absurd. I scrape my front lip at least four times a day (coming and going from my driveway, coming and going from my office parking deck). There are some parking lots here in Houston I can't negotiate at any speed. Granted, it's worse with the aerokit front bumper, but I had issues even in my C2S.
that front overhang is something I hadn't considered.

Still seems strange that a non aero kit stock height car is scrapping that often.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

To the OP: Can't you traverse those obstacles obliquely?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche makes something called "compensating rings" so the same springs can be used in different markets around the world that require different ride heights. They make a 3mm and 6.5mm I believe. Some cars, have a few of these stacked. I think they cost about $20 a pair or something like that. Maybe try a 3 and 6.5 to basically get about 10mm of height.

http://dcauto.gotdns.com:4000/illust...ndex/799162777

996.343.511.00 is the 3mm version
996.343.511.01 is the 6.5mm version

$5 each, so if you tried 4x 6.5mm that's only $20 plus all the labor (which is big). They are hard rubber, so there might be some compression under weight.

As your Porsche shop - they would probably have better info.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:26 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Definately cannot avoid these areas. There are 3 on my daily commute. Have you driven in the NYC/NJ area? the roads are really bad in areas. I'm totally fine out on the highways and in the burbs.

2 are low areas in half of the lane (you can think of them as a soft pothole) when the tire goes in the hole the front scrapes even if you are going dead slow. These are one lane roads and there is no opportunity to go off the roads or into the other lane. taking another road will add 20-30 minutes to my commute. I also scrape going into the garage at work. The garage is an early 1900s factory that was converted into a garage and it has a brick ramp leading up to it.

thanks for the info on the rings. I'll give those a shot. It's not beyond my skills to put them in myself, I'd have to take it in for a camber adjustment/alignment though if it gets out of whack.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is what you want
about $5K but it will do what you want without wrecking the looks or handling of you car

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/k...5-p-55224.html

check the video
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A lift kit isn't going to solve this. I'm in CT and unfortunately have to drive the roads OP is referencing. 99.9% of posts about ride height are about lowering for "looks", this one needs to raise to simply be able to drive the car on the crater-filled NJ roadways.

By the way, I learned about the compensator rings on a Boxster forum. Sure enough, my 05 Boxster S had compensator rings and what those in the know do is lift the car, snip the hard rubber rings and pull them out, and instant lowering of the suspension. New alignment then allows more camber - I think we got -1 up front vs. a typical of maybe -0.8.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:35 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I've got a 997.1 with PASM. Some may flame me for even considering this but has anyone raised thier car a bit? Any ideas on how best to accomplish this? I live in NJ and I scrape speed bumps and even certain abberations in the road multiple times every day. I'm not excited about the prospect of replacing a paper thin bumper cover a few years from now. Even 20mm would probably help greatly.

I could probably put a 20mm shim above each of the struts but then I'd have to adjust the camber. Any advice on this? I'd prefer not to replace the the entire suspension. I'm wondering if there is shimming that I can do or something to try it out for a while.

thanks
Hi there,

So did you ever succeed in increasing the ground clearance? I could do with that right now.

Kay
Old 07-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

my car sits fairly low. 997 GTS SPASM. I'm happy with how low it is.. but it very occasionally (I only know one spot in town that I regularly drive by) will have a light scrape on the lip. It doesn't bother me so much considering how light the contact is, and I can drive to minimize down to a hardly discernible brush.

I recently changed the wheels on the car and changed up from OE tire spec. I went from OE spec to GT2 RS tire sizing. My reason for doing that was threefold. Getting wider wheels, OE spec had a slightly stretched look I don't like, and to fill in the wheel gap just a touch. No desire to move up from the SPASM to an aftermarket setup just yet. A fringe benefit of that has been just a few mm difference in absolute ride height. I'd imagine not more than 5mm, if that. But its just enough that I don't scrape on that one spot on my way to the office anymore.

Something to consider.

edit;

just realized the poster above me is necroposting
Old 07-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fined
my car sits fairly low. 997 GTS SPASM. I'm happy with how low it is.. but it very occasionally (I only know one spot in town that I regularly drive by) will have a light scrape on the lip. It doesn't bother me so much considering how light the contact is, and I can drive to minimize down to a hardly discernible brush.

I recently changed the wheels on the car and changed up from OE tire spec. I went from OE spec to GT2 RS tire sizing. My reason for doing that was threefold. Getting wider wheels, OE spec had a slightly stretched look I don't like, and to fill in the wheel gap just a touch. No desire to move up from the SPASM to an aftermarket setup just yet. A fringe benefit of that has been just a few mm difference in absolute ride height. I'd imagine not more than 5mm, if that. But its just enough that I don't scrape on that one spot on my way to the office anymore.

Something to consider.

edit;

just realized the poster above me is necroposting
Apologies for dialling up on a post that seemed to die 6 years ago, it was the only post I have seen so far that is relevant to my issue. I really need to lift up the 997 I'm picking up tomorrow by a bit if I will get any fun out of it round my neck of the woods, our roads are pretty bad!
Old 07-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread. That's way better than starting a new one.

Quick Reply: Increasing ground clearance