Sponsored by:

Increasing ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread. That's way better than starting a new one.
Thanks Nugget! So I did pick up the 07 Carrera s yesterday, it's crazy low with bad front shocks so it's even lower. Someone suggested adjustable coilovers, anyone have any ideas?

I don't need the PASM because the roads are too bad and I won't be doing track days because we don't have tracks in my home country

Last edited by Kaychub; 07-18-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

For anyone that wants an on demand lift kit, for just the front, or for the front and rear, look at the offering from Umbrella Auto Design. It's an air based system, but actually uses a reserve tank so can be activated instantaneously at any speed. With a setup like this you won't have to sacrifice your center of gravity for handling, but can raise the front or front and rear (depending on which kit you buy) on demand. I believe the kit does require that you have coilovers though.

I have the Cargraphic AirLift on mine and with the upgraded compressor, works perfectly for my purposes, but had I not found a deal on it, could have gone with the Umbrella kit.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:03 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd either get the front shocks restored or B8 Bilstein to replace them, and factory springs (on stock shocks, keep lowering with the B8). Then get the DSC unit and dial in a softer setting if the roads are really that bad. I wouldn't bother with coilovers.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:31 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
For anyone that wants an on demand lift kit, for just the front, or for the front and rear, look at the offering from Umbrella Auto Design. It's an air based system, but actually uses a reserve tank so can be activated instantaneously at any speed. With a setup like this you won't have to sacrifice your center of gravity for handling, but can raise the front or front and rear (depending on which kit you buy) on demand. I believe the kit does require that you have coilovers though.

I have the Cargraphic AirLift on mine and with the upgraded compressor, works perfectly for my purposes, but had I not found a deal on it, could have gone with the Umbrella kit.
I've contacted Umbrella for a quote, thanks!

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'd either get the front shocks restored or B8 Bilstein to replace them, and factory springs (on stock shocks, keep lowering with the B8). Then get the DSC unit and dial in a softer setting if the roads are really that bad. I wouldn't bother with coilovers.
Thanks! No way to restore shocks here though, would have to be outright replacements
Old 07-18-2016, 04:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

FYI, in reference to the archived lift kit advice, a lift kit will cost an order of magnitude more than a front lip and it will eventually fail sooner than you think. They all do. Just check the GT3 forums. Most of those guys remove the compressor since they are so prone to failure. You could get 20 years worth of front lips replaced every 2 years for the cost of that lift system. Also to note that most of the scraping is NOT the front lip but the air duct flaps in front of the front wheels. They direct air around the wheel/tire and are lower than the front lip.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by nwGTS
FYI, in reference to the archived lift kit advice, a lift kit will cost an order of magnitude more than a front lip and it will eventually fail sooner than you think. They all do. Just check the GT3 forums. Most of those guys remove the compressor since they are so prone to failure. You could get 20 years worth of front lips replaced every 2 years for the cost of that lift system. Also to note that most of the scraping is NOT the front lip but the air duct flaps in front of the front wheels. They direct air around the wheel/tire and are lower than the front lip.
I agree with you, I've never had good luck with air lift suspensions and I probably wouldn't go that route, although these were mercs.

Yes I noticed that the flaps are the ones that scraped, I cracked the one on the right side on mine yesterday when I went to pick it up, got a bit excited on the freeway, we don't have enforced speed limits so I flogged it a bit
Old 07-18-2016, 04:59 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

If that's the case, start with replacing the shocks. As others have said, front lips and plastic weld are much cheaper than an air lift kit.

Where are you based btw?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

If that's the case, start with replacing the shocks. As others have said, front lips and plastic weld are much cheaper than an air lift kit.

Where are you based btw?
I'm in the land of rich kings and princes that promise to transfer millions of dollars to you if you send them a processing fee of $20k...Lagos Nigeria
Old 07-18-2016, 05:31 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Can't imagine there are many 911's cruising the streets of Lagos! This should be on your roadmap:
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Can't imagine there are many 911's cruising the streets of Lagos! This should be on your roadmap:
Lol! That's what I'm talking about perfect for these roads.

Not too many no, we only have one Porsche centre in the whole of the nation, there are quite a few of the 2013 upwards though and a load of other supercars.

911's are dead cheap used here because not many people are wise enough to research these iconic machines before they buy and join a forum like this, so they import, it gives them a little problem and the quack mechanics make it into a bigger problem and then no one will pay top dollar for it, which is good for guys like me.

I've researched extensively and combed through the forums for years, joined in 2010 and I've been reading so much about these cars and waiting for that opportunity, while most shy away out of fear.

The one I bought was in pieces a few months ago when I saw it, the owner was broke and tired of it and wanted an equivalent of about $8,000, naturally I was skeptical as I thought this price is too low even in that condition so I left it, and wanted to do an auto search to ensure its not stolen

Then a young chap who likes to fiddle with stuff bought it, fixed it up as best as he could afford, did a VIN check and it came out clean and I end up buying the same car for the equivalent of $14,000.

It has a lot of work to be done on it, I will take my time and do them all bit by bit, but I was amazed at how well he fixed it up, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it.

List of things needed:

New front seats (Just because I like things neat)
Throttle body
New ***** and switches
Hydraulic cylinder for the soft top
Shocks

All those things by no means take away from the mad fun of it
Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Um, I think the Bilstein B8s are coilovers

Haven't had a single issue with my AirLift kit and it's been installed for 3 years, of course I did it myself, which I always prefer.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

B16 are coilovers - B8 are designed for standard springs and support PASM.
http://www.bilstein-shop.com/bilstei...b0d0239bm447l3
Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

B16 are coilovers - B8 are designed for standard springs and support PASM.
http://www.bilstein-shop.com/bilstei...b0d0239bm447l3
Thanks - good to know. I didn't recognize that number (B8) and only knew of PSS9, PSS10, and the B16 Damptronics that I have.

I agree with you on TPC's DSC. Have that in my car and it's great.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My Boxster's nose scrapes all the time going in and out of driveways. I take it nice and easy and at a diagonal when I can and I have yet to replace the bumper cover or panels because of this. (The front bumper cover was replaced at some point after another vehicle ran into the back of my Boxster when it was stopped at a stop light and shoved my car into the vehicle in front thus running the bumper cover.)

My 996 Turbo is even worse in this regard -- the nose dragging -- what with its very low hanging air dam. The air dam had to be replaced once as I let someone drive the car who was unfamiliar with the car's nose layout but I have driven the car 145K+ miles without ruining the air dam.

Like the Boxster I take driveways in or out slow and at a diagonal and I am careful to position the car when I pull into a parking space to avoid hitting the air dam against the curb. I can get the thing pretty close sometimes -- within an inch -- but I'm happy as long as the rear of the car doesn't stick out further than other cars parked in the same row as mine even if inches are between the curb and my Turbo's $400+ air dam.

You can of course attempt to raise the car and deal with alignment issues and the possible negative effect this raising can have on half shaft bearing life but my experience is the lowness of the car and its propensity to drag in/out of driveways can be dealt with better by slightly modifying one's driving technique.

Oh I have never managed to drag either car's nose (or tail) when going over speed bumps but I take these at slow speeds so the suspension doesn't compress any when encountering a speed bump at the front wheels or when passing over a speed bump with the rear wheels.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My nose is quite low and I don't have a replaceable lip, just a really expensive RUF bumper that I don't ever want to have to replace, which is one of the reasons I have the AirLift kit. I also think it extends forward a bit further than a stock or aero kit bumper.

It's really nice to be pulling out of a drive at about zero speed, optimally angled, waiting for that crunching, scraping, dragging sound....and never hear it

Quick Reply: Increasing ground clearance