Sponsored by:

in need of sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

My .02 cents worth. I have a 2010 Cayman with PDK and Sports Chrono that I autocross and track. In normal the car is very docile in sport, on the street with PASM either off or on the cat has spirit and shifts are quick and precise. For autocross and tracking I turn on sport plus and PASM and the car handles as if on a rail with shifting at redline and down shifts never allowing the RPMs to drop below 4000. I like it so much I retro fitted my '09 C2S (with PDK) with sport plus and added a new dimension to this great car. Bottom line with the six speed Sport Chrono is nice, with PDK it is a must.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Actually, HT is harder with SC and everyone at the track (Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, and Monticello where I run) tried SC and never pressed the button again. We're talking about maybe 1mm of pedal travel of difference, meaning about the width of this -- l -- character. Also, SC mapping is jumpy and not as smooth / linear as even normal. Again, those that have tried it (and I mean very experienced drivers, not a Green student who just got a new car) never pressed it again. If you are on the track, which is the only place to HT, there isn't a problem whatsoever. You have to constantly adapt as the pads wear down your HT foot position has to change anyway.

Regarding Softronic, primary bypass, etc. Try a search and you'll find lots of threads on the subject. And what you won't find is even 1 example of where factory or aftermarket "sport" related software / exhaust have caused a problem over the 30 or so years the market has been making them. I have to believe that Porsche is happy to sell you a "sport" mapping or "sport" exhaust because they know it's not going to harm the engine or car.

+1 I think h-t is more difficult WITH sport mode.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HT is very easy with pdk more like finger toe
Old 12-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Heel-toe with the sport throttle map appears to be a mixed bag. Personally I don't find it noticeably harder or easier either way although it makes sense to me that it could have that effect for some people.

I don't like the sport throttle mapping because it is an impediment to control and finesse from your right foot. It's more difficult to be smooth -- it's more difficult to roll on the throttle coming out of a corner -- it's more difficult to be fast. I don't see the appeal -- the sport throttle mapping is actually taking away from your ability to control the car with no corresponding upside.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I don't like the sport throttle mapping because it is an impediment to control and finesse from your right foot. It's more difficult to be smooth -- it's more difficult to roll on the throttle coming out of a corner -- it's more difficult to be fast. I don't see the appeal -- the sport throttle mapping is actually taking away from your ability to control the car with no corresponding upside.
Exactly my experience too.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
My .02 cents worth. I have a 2010 Cayman with PDK and Sports Chrono that I autocross and track. In normal the car is very docile in sport, on the street with PASM either off or on the cat has spirit and shifts are quick and precise. For autocross and tracking I turn on sport plus and PASM and the car handles as if on a rail with shifting at redline and down shifts never allowing the RPMs to drop below 4000. I like it so much I retro fitted my '09 C2S (with PDK) with sport plus and added a new dimension to this great car. Bottom line with the six speed Sport Chrono is nice, with PDK it is a must.
Did you add Sports Chrono or Sports Chrono Plus to your '09 C2S PDK? Who did it and how much?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 01:13 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As nobody was interested in a PDK without SC I picked up my 2009 Porsche sans SC at a considerable discount. i had intended to ad the sports mode after purchse but after driving my Porsche for 1500 miles I am not in any hurry. this forum actually came up as a reason for the terrible resale price (dealer's opinion) . IMO all those 2009 buyers who bought without SC that bought early are trading in quickly. Quite a few 2009's on the market PDK without SC. this forum discouraged me to buy until the suncoast info about Porsche sports mode came up. i dont think used car dealers like you guys! :-)
Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MICHAELWWW
i dont think used car dealers like you guys! :-)
What a shame. I'm really choked up about that.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i will buy everyone a beer at each occurence since on lookers add over 10k to my purchaase price. if their are investors that are on the move this is the way to go. I intend to keep my dream car for a long time. Quite a few blue metallic 109k's out there w/o s/c that were an early launch that you can grab b4 the porsche sports retrofit becomes common knowlege... goood knight

Quick Reply: in need of sports chrono