Sponsored by:

Rifle transport in 911, trunk too small

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
Does anyone even find it mildly shocking that one individual can own so many high powered guns legally,
ABSOLUTELY NOT. Why not own as many as you want or need. Here is an example. Maybe you like to compete in 1,000 yard bench rest matches, 100 yard bench rest matches, National Rifle Association 3 position matches, metallic silhouette matches, and Cowboy Action shooting matches. Each one of those separate disciplines requires markedly different rifles. Why shouldn't anyone who wants be allowed to compete in as many different types of matches as he wants?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I happen to fit the description of a competitive shooter as per the previous post. I compete in NRA F-Class which is a long range match. This requires a rifle similar to a sniper rifle. I also compete is what's known as 3Gun. This requires a high capacity AR-15 type rifle, a semi-auto shotgun, and a semi-auto pistol. I have traveled all over the country carying these guns legally in autos or airplanes. There are millions of recreational shooters who enjoy going to the range and shooting a variety of firearms, wether they are competing or not.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

I used to compete in Trap when I was a kid. That is until I discovered cars and girls :-)
I still go to the range a few times a year with my dad or when a friend is interested. I don't shoot often so when I go I like to make a day of it and bring a varied selection of guns. I'm still burnt on the Trap / Skeet guns but my dad loves it so I'll do a few rounds with him. I like the pistol range but my favorite is the long range with a varmint rifle with a well tuned scope. I grew up around guns and gun safety and find it meditative.
The deep breathing, the absolute focus and patience required despite the constant distracting explosions on either side.

To me it's much like going for a nice technical drive. Bullseye = perfect Heel2Toe. That controlled rush is fabulous.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:21 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone even find it mildly shocking that one individual can own so many high powered guns legally,
Not at all. One or twenty, what is the difference. I also have a car that can do over 180 mph. A gun is a tool it does nothing without a person at its controls.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 157 Posts

The answer is in take-down capability. ARs can get easier to operate pins. Trade the 700 for a Tubb (or Tubb clone) and get a nice assortment of shotguns that takedown like the Winchester 1897. Even my Benelli sporting clays shotgun breaks down small enough. Nothing preventing you from carrying the non-receiver parts inside the car.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

NO. Why would I? Either it's legal or it isn't. Someone could say the same for someone who owns so many high powered cars too!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ooops on the cabrio...totally missed that.

After reading this:
MASSACHUSETTS -- Nonresidents are allowed to bring personally-owned handguns into the Commonwealth for competition, exhibition or hunting. If the handgun is for hunting, a valid hunting license must be procured. Furthermore, the handgun owner must have a valid carrying permit from another state and that state s permit requirements must be the same as in Massachusetts. A person who does not meet these requirements must obtain a temporary handgun permit from the Department of Public Safety, 1010 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02215.
A nonresident may transport rifles and shotguns into or through Massachusetts if the guns are unloaded, cased and locked in the trunk of a vehicle.
A nonresident may physically possess an operable rifle or shotgun while hunting with a Massachusetts license, while on a firing range, while at a gun show, or if the nonresident has a permit to possess any firearm in his home state.
A special caution, however, is in order. Massachusetts has enacted one of the most restrictive gun laws in the Nation, imposing a mandatory one year jail sentence for anyone illegally possessing a firearm, loaded or unloaded, on his person or under his control in a vehicle.
In all cases, all firearms must be transported as prescribed in the general rule.

I would say, renting a car is your cheapest option. That seriously sucks.

You can also talk to you range about storing them, then you just drive to the range.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gun ownership is a fundamental right for Americans. Assuming one follows Federal & State laws, no justification is necessary why one legally possesses any number of firearms or their purpose.

That said, I've been involved with firearms for most of my life, as a dealer, hunter, target shooter, collector, protection, and enthusiast. I have an unrestricted license to carry and do so as I wish being a law abiding, ethical gun owner.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:33 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

The gov of NJ just commuted his 7 yr sentence. It was ridiculous, he even went to state police to ask how to properly / legally tansport in NJ and they arrested him!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

you should see me transport my guns in the lotus,.. they go out the window! lol
Old 12-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
you should see me transport my guns in the lotus,.. they go out the window! lol
That would be a great picture :-)
Old 12-25-2010, 03:29 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not whatsoever. What I find shocking is the number of people who think they need to police others, and/or decide what somebody else should, or shouldn't have. I know many people who have responsibly owned many firearms for years, if not through generations.

When a nation's citizens are disarmed by the govt, they become subjects OF that govt.

Thank you, but no thank you.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Mass. is highly restrictive. When I was getting ready to move there in the late 1980s I had to do a lot of homework to figure out what the real rules were before I simply showed up. As a military member, I had to have my transfer orders amended to include the serial numbers of each weapon so that I was covered if I were stopped enroute to my base of assignment. Subsequently, I followed the Commonwealth's rules regarding gun ownership--if you have a firearm you have to have a permit. If you want to carry it concealed, you have to get the concealed carry permit. Ultimately, I wound up with a concealed carry permit for Massachusetts, and one for New Hampshire as well. (It simplified intrastate travel). Interestingly, the authorities in Massachusetts waste a lot of time worrying about their permitted owners. I don't believe TO DATE anyone with a CC permit or a simple permit to own and transport a firearm has EVER been arrested for anything to do with their weapons ownership. On the other hand the criminals who use firearms in their business never have applied for nor have permits.

California's rules are even more strict than Massachusetts. While at least in Massachusetts you can apply for a concealed carry permit and get one without some arbitrary means test; in California you can't get to first base following the rules. There are other ways to get a concealed carry permit in California but it takes a little imagination.

I keep ammunition locked in the trunk (front) of the 911 and then the firearms (long guns) have to go in the cockpit due to physics. If I am transporting a handgun I simply keep it in the trunk, unless I am planning to use it in conjunction with a concealed carry permit. Then it stays with me.

In response to our Irish member, I see no problem with anyone possessing a variety of weapons. For many people that is a hobby--either simply shooting, or hunting. It's all in the culture. A couple of years ago I was flying commercially back to California from Anchorage, Alaska and I actually found it refreshing when I arrived at the airport late one night to check in and they asked in a very matter of fact way if I had any firearms to check. It seemed so perfectly normal up there because having a firearm can certainly make all the difference in survival if you're way off the beaten path.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:37 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

For cabrio owners: If you have a hard-mounted lock box (like a rifle case in the back seat that bolts to the seat rails or seat belt mounts) with a lock on the hasp- I'm pretty certain that this will count as a "locked trunk" in the eyes of the law. You can check in with your new local police station to gauge their reaction. At least you'll have created a paper trail to reference if you do get picked up later on.

As referenced by many many legal cases, being in the right of the law does not mean that you won't necessarily spend the night in jail. Many innocent people have spent the night in jail before getting in front of a judge. It's not uncommon that the law enforcement officers don't know the details of the law and they'll apply it as they understand it (or misunderstand it).
Old 12-26-2010, 12:02 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
For cabrio owners: If you have a hard-mounted lock box (like a rifle case in the back seat that bolts to the seat rails or seat belt mounts) with a lock on the hasp- I'm pretty certain that this will count as a "locked trunk" in the eyes of the law. You can check in with your new local police station to gauge their reaction. At least you'll have created a paper trail to reference if you do get picked up later on.

As referenced by many many legal cases, being in the right of the law does not mean that you won't necessarily spend the night in jail. Many innocent people have spent the night in jail before getting in front of a judge. It's not uncommon that the law enforcement officers don't know the details of the law and they'll apply it as they understand it (or misunderstand it).
How refreshing it would be if law enforcement officers spent some to the time they use running radar traps studying the laws so they could be more effective at really preventing crime and catching criminals.

Quick Reply: Rifle transport in 911, trunk too small