Sponsored by:

Rifle transport in 911, trunk too small

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rifle transport in 911, trunk too small

I just sold my truck, so my regular trips to the range will now be in my 997 C2S CAB. The problem is the trunk only fits my AUG, not any of my other long guns. I can disassemble them, but that's a pain.

Do any of you Massachusetts or California residents have experience or thoughts on transporting rifles inside your 911 in a locked bag to/from the range?
Attached Images  

Last edited by todd.; 12-10-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I "assume" a locked bag in the back would be fine - ammo in the trunk (obviously)
Old 12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what? in Texas the dealers install shotgun/rifle racks at a no cost option.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
what? in Texas the dealers install shotgun/rifle racks at a no cost option.
One day I'll live happy in a RED state. In Mass you can transport firearms inside a truck since trucks have no trunk, 911's basically have no trunk too.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm in CA and was just thinking about it. My dad has been bugging me to go to the range and that means he wants to ride in my porsche. As long as the ammo is in a separate locked case you should be fine. I was thinking you'd have to have the rifle case in the front passenger area. You could maybe remove the bolt action and lock that in the ammo case in the trunk to further satisfy a police officer. Let's be honest, I doubt a cop is going to write you up if even if you have to skirt the technicalities of the law to fit a gun in a porsche. I think as long as you've taken reasonable steps given your abilities you'll be fine.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:28 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just prop 'em up in the seat and let 'em hang out the roof. A couple of those magnetic rebel flags for each door completes the look.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in GA we just throw them up on the dash, loaded; or you can mount them to the hood if you like.

My "probably inaccurate" assessment is that if the container is locked the POPO can't open it without a warrant. If they ask tell them it is pool cues, if they ask you to open the case, politely decline. Question though if the case is Gun shaped if that presents probable cause?

I also thought CA had an unloaded open carry law, Meaning your rifle is legal as long as it is in plain sight and unloaded.

Please don't rely on this information, just my thoughts.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:03 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Sorry, just realized you are in MA, not CA.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:08 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Directly from the State of MA website (in sum a locked case is fine if unloaded & you have a class B):

Transporting Firearms

Q: How do I transport a gun in my vehicle?

A: A person with a Class "A" LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.

A person with a Class "B" LTC must transport handguns unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

For more specific information see M.G.L. c. 140, §131C.
top of the page

Q: Do I need to lock my non-large capacity rifles and shotguns in a case while transporting them in a vehicle?

A: No. They must be transported unloaded, but are not required to be in a locked case while transporting.
top of the page

Q: Can I leave my gun in my car if I need to go into the store on my way home from the range or from hunting?

A: If your handgun or large capacity rifle or shotgun is transported in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, §131C (i.e. unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container) then the gun may be left unattended in the vehicle. Weapons transported in this manner will automatically be considered "stored or kept" in compliance with the safe storage requirements of §131L.

A person leaving a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun in an unattended vehicle is required to lock the rifle or shotgun in a case/container or in the trunk, or install a mechanical locking device on the weapon (i.e. cable or trigger lock).
Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I just sold my truck, so my regular trips to the range will now be in my 997 C2S CAB. The problem is the trunk only fits my AUG, not any of my other long guns. I can disassemble them, but that's a pain.

Do any of you Massachusetts or California residents have experience or thoughts on transporting rifles inside your 911 in a locked bag to/from the range?
Cant help you here, but what guns do you have?
I have a 65' Browning (Belgian made) w/ blue steel and brass trigger. It's a semi-auto. Was my Father's, who passed it down to me.
THis week I am going to Beretta in Manhattan and getting fitted for a O/E competition series. Probably a Gold E sporting. I intend to pass both down to my son, in about 25 yrs! haha I love shooting, especially because I have my Father's skills. He was awarded a marksman medal in Nam.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you hear about the guy who moved from Colorado to New Jersey and he took the guns he bought in Colorado with him and had them in the truck locked and unloaded. He is now serving 7 years in prison and he had no record at all. So in Calif be careful!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
Did you hear about the guy who moved from Colorado to New Jersey and he took the guns he bought in Colorado with him and had them in the truck locked and unloaded. He is now serving 7 years in prison and he had no record at all. So in Calif be careful!
I did hear about that. For those who haven't, here's a link to the story.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/read.aspx?id=6087

Regardless of your politics, this story should scare the bejesus out of every law-abiding American citizen. It reeks of the advancement of the "Police State" we hear about.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds like a lawsuit for false imprisonment is in line. I'm sure the NRA will pony up for a lawyer for that. What personal concerns did the family member report I wonder? Perhaps that had some influence in the polices actions.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
That has to be BS, I know plenty of people in Jersey and it's not an issue as you are stating. Unless they are automatic weapons, pistols, etc. If shotguns, no way.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
That has to be BS, I know plenty of people in Jersey and it's not an issue as you are stating. Unless they are automatic weapons, pistols, etc. If shotguns, no way.
I thought it might be BS as well. Looked it up and it appears the basic story is true. Some points not listed in the NRA version; the guy was also reportedly in possession of large capacity magazines and hollow point bullets which are apparently illegal in New Jersey, according to the ABC news story I read. He also refused to testify in his own defense which allowed prosecutors to press a very narrow interpretation of the law with the judge, who bought their argument.

I'm not saying this justifies this guy's sentence so save the flames please. Simply reporting some additional information which wasn't included in the NRA link and is relevant to what happened. Still seems a grave injustice was done.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-09-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Rifle transport in 911, trunk too small