Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rifle transport in 911, trunk too small

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 PM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, good question. I know I can collapse the stocks of my AR and Sig 556 to go to the range. I mostly carry a pistol with a valid license to carry firearms permit. I've never transported a rifle in my 911.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 PM
911FM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I thought it might be BS as well. Looked it up and it appears the basic story is true. Some points not listed in the NRA version; the guy was also reportedly in possession of large capacity magazines and hollow point bullets which are apparently illegal in New Jersey, according to the ABC news story I read. He also refused to testify in his own defense which allowed prosecutors to press a very narrow interpretation of the law with the judge, who bought their argument.

I'm not saying this justifies this guy's sentence so save the flames please. Simply reporting some additional information which wasn't included in the NRA link and is relevant to what happened. Still seems a grave injustice was done.
Interesting reading. I am not a lawyer and have not researched this particular story but I am a bit familiar with NJ firearms laws (pretty stringent). There has to be more to the story than what the NRA says.
You do not need a "Permit to Carry" to have a handgun at home or carry it to the range in your trunk (unloaded, locked). You certainly need a "purchase permit" to purchase a gun, a separate one to purchase a handgun.

I am also surprised that the guy was not let free until his appeal has been decided. Agree that this case seems unjust and a waste of my taxpayer money.

FM
Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM
GHills
Instructor

This is the best thread I've seen on here in 2 years. Bravo.

Hopefully the 911 in question has no PASM to enhance the suv/pickup look.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

This is how I roll.

Last edited by dr_r2r; 04-10-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_r2r
This is how I roll.
if your on the South side, you'll need it! haha
Old 12-10-2010, 10:46 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I thought it might be BS as well. Looked it up and it appears the basic story is true. Some points not listed in the NRA version; the guy was also reportedly in possession of large capacity magazines and hollow point bullets which are apparently illegal in New Jersey, according to the ABC news story I read. He also refused to testify in his own defense which allowed prosecutors to press a very narrow interpretation of the law with the judge, who bought their argument.

I'm not saying this justifies this guy's sentence so save the flames please. Simply reporting some additional information which wasn't included in the NRA link and is relevant to what happened. Still seems a grave injustice was done.
Now making more sense, given the illegal ammo, etc.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:32 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MG's Fast Fish
Hmm, good question. I know I can collapse the stocks of my AR and Sig 556 to go to the range.
Assault rifle buttstocks have to be pinned in Mass, cannot be adjustable, and the hunting/sniper rifles would need to have the stocks removed.
Since my gun club is in my town I'm fine, the local police are cool. I'll just put them in the back seat bagged, locked, ammo in the trunk. Staties are another problem altogether. Most cops have questionable knowledge of the gun laws and that's what's really scary. They know how to arrest, and not always for the right reasons which can cause a well intentioned law abiding citizen hell.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 AM
911FM
Racer

Follow-up: For those interested, there is a support web site and a facebook page for Brian Aitken:

http://www.facebook.com/FreeBrianAitken

Story here:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jersey-man-...show=WN&page=1

I called the office of Gov. Christie today to voice my concern as an NJ resident, voter, and taxpayer. Was told Governor is aware and looking into the matter...

FM
Old 12-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

Sounds like irresponsible actions to me. The exemption exists to allow transport from point a to b. Not a, then sit for a few days at c, then to drive around after needing to cool off. I tend to side with the conviction. The sentencing however is extreme to the ridiculous.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the one used in the Paris-Dakkar rally? The ordnance suggests it...otherwise the northern leg of the New Jersey Turnpike.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send me the guns - problem solved.

Can you get a roof mount cargo carrier for the 911, and put them in there?

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori.../touring/n173/
Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Don't ever move to Canada. You'd hate the gun laws here.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Can you get a roof mount cargo carrier for the 911, and put them in there?

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori.../touring/n173/

That's actually an excellent idea and it would be ideal for following the laws. Unfortunately, I have a CAB.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Does anyone even find it mildly shocking that one individual can own so many high powered guns legally,
Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
Does anyone even find it mildly shocking that one individual can own so many high powered guns legally,
From a world point of view - yes, from a USA point of view - no. I suspect people who didn't grow up in this country find that and many other things about it completely over the top.

Quick Reply: Rifle transport in 911, trunk too small