997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--

Old 12-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is Rennlist. After the horse is dead we skin it and learn to play drums.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
I find the subdued-though-still-quite-stimulating sound of the stock 997.1 TT is advantageous in the following ways:

1. When I'm passing in point-and-shoot mode it does not terrify or p*ss people off into using their cell phones to call ahead for cops.

2. Does not drive me crazy with a drone, buzz or rasp when I'm cruising at constant speed on an interstate.

3. When I feel like burning up quiet back roads the sound does not alert all the inhabitants within a five mile radius to use their "call 911" phones

4. You can always support the economy and add some aftermarket exhaust for more stylish race-car sound if you want -- even though, perhaps revealingly, the car's stellar performance will stay the same.

You assume I prefer an obnoxiously loud street car. You assume incorrectly and I prefer far from that. I think both cars (NA and TT) stand on their own merits equally, and the fact that both are 911 variants underscores both of their importance and validity. I just prefer not to have the turbos mute the exhaust as they generally do (that's what mufflers are for) not to mention the usual throttle lag; I know many MB SL turbo drivers are removing their mufflers entirely because the turbos so effectively diminish the exhaust sound in db.

Another point being that many 911 NA exhaust systems sound great, and do not have cabin drone. So much for that argument.

Again, as I said earlier, AWE has a new exhaust sys for the TT that sounds marvelous to my ears. At least from what I'm hearing in the video clip.

Oh... hey! Porsche's high-priced ad-copy in red. Impressive!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

turbo and c2s, gt3 and turbo s, manual and pdk.... a never ending discussion.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 425 Posts

I prefer NA cars to FI cars. Here's my reasoning:

-better throttle response
-higher revving
-more linear torque curve
-no turbo lag
-turbos tend to over heat more
-predictable handling on the track

And for Porsche specific: RWD vs. AWD

Here is my preference list for the current Porsche models:

GT3RS > GT3 > GTS > C2S > Turbo (I don't know where the GT2 RS falls )
Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sin911
Here is my preference list for the current Porsche models:
GT3RS > GT3 > GTS > C2S > Turbo (I don't know where the GT2 RS falls)
Heh, this matches my list exactly. I've never driven a GT2 or GT2 RS and I really don't know where they belong on my list.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
You assume I prefer an obnoxiously loud street car. You assume incorrectly and I prefer far from that.

Another point being that many 911 NA exhaust systems sound great, and do not have cabin drone. So much for that argument.
I don't even know who you are. I don't assume anything about you. My post is about my ideas about my stock Turbo exhaust system and why it's just fine as it is IMO.

I don't care about aftermarket exhaust and would never consider one since they don't improve performance. My stock 997S had a cabin drone when cruising which drove me crazy and actually pissed me off when I was tired. So much for your "so much for that argument."

Enjoy your car with whichever exhaust system you choose and prefer.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nugget
I'm ambivalent about continuing this thread, but since you asked I'll accept your invitation...

My "invitation" was for you to show me in my own words where I said what you are claiming below:

Aren't we allowed to answer the original poster's question? Can't you allow people to state their opinion without shouting them down that they are wrong wrong wrong?
You couldn't do that. Why? Because what you write about what I said is in your head, not in any post _I_ wrote.

The stuff in this latest lengthy post of yours has TWISTED the meanings of what I said so badly I won't spend any more time trying to unravel it.

Are you using an english language translator software? Because that's they only way to explain how far off you are and still have hopes for your rational capacities.

For example: I say the only Porsche performance feature you can use to it's max on public roads is [straight line] acceleration; you invented a way to disagree with that! WTF?! That's just one example of your spinning-of-meaning habit! OR use of english language translator software.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
For example: I say the only Porsche performance feature you can use to it's max on public roads is [straight line] acceleration; you disagree with that!
Yes, I disagree with that, because it's not true as I and others have repeatedly explained to you. Are you telling me that I'm wrong wrong wrong?

My reply contained ample direct, exact quotes of your words. Where it did not it was because you have deleted the post in question and removed it from the thread.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Yes, I disagree with that, because it's not true as I and others have repeatedly explained to you. Are you telling me that I'm wrong wrong wrong?
Simply tell us all which Porsche 997 performance feature other than SL acceleration you can use to the maximum on public roads.

Oh sheet: I forgot to say reasonably "safely" on public roads. No insane driving behavior allowed.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Here's one: Braking. Satisfied?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Here's one: Braking. Satisfied?
No, not satisfied. That's twisted; as usual from you .

Nobody tries to enjoy their Porsche's performance features to the maximum on public roads by slamming on their brakes.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

How is it twisted? You said nothing about enjoyment.

Simply tell us all which Porsche 997 performance feature other than SL acceleration you can use to the maximum on public roads.
Fact: Braking is a performance feature.
Fact: You can safely use braking performance to its maximum on the road.

If you want to pedantically nitpick the importance of the word "maximum" in your argument, then you really shouldn't complain when the reply is similar pedantic word nitpicking. You framed the argument here, I'm just responding in kind.

Regardless, you have no idea what other people do or do not find enjoyable.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM
LlBr
Drifting

How is it twisted? You said nothing about enjoyment.

Fact: Braking is a performance feature.
Fact: You can safely use braking performance to its maximum on the road.

If you want to pedantically nitpick the importance of the word "maximum" in your argument, then you really shouldn't complain when the reply is similar pedantic word nitpicking. You framed the argument here, I'm just responding in kind.

Regardless, you have no idea what other people do or do not find enjoyable.

Yeah..., riiiiiiight..., uh huh..., whatever you say... AWWWGGGGHHHHHH.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

I don't understand your point. Try using words instead of pictures.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I think the intent of the Turbo and the GT3/2 are very different, typified by the lack of back seats in the GT2/3 cars.

The Turbo is for the buyer who wants the fastest Porsche but also wants the creature comforts and is going to be using it on the road. I would doubt that many turbo owners take their car to the track regularly.

The GT2/3 are for the track but are usable enough to be driven on the road regularly. I would doubt there are many GT2/3 owners who never track their cars.

The C2S probably sits in the middle.

And the C2 is for people who can't afford a C2S

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--