Sponsored by:

Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I don't get why people keep harking on the turbo's unusable power, yet go back and claim they love rev'ing up a NA engine? You can redline a NA on the streets and yet a turbo is too powerful? BTW, at first the TT power delivery seemed like an explosion, but with more miles, you get used to it and its not as explosive as when you first start driving it. That's why TT owners keep trying to mod their cars to go even faster. A test drive might scare you at first but eventually it becomes normal to drive.
+1

"Too powerful," it's a nutty thing to say. I use every bit of power everyday I drive mine (gotta love that "boost"). The car goes very fast very fast. IOW, you don't wait for the car to accelerate. That's perfect for many tactics like closing gaps in traffic and passing on rural highways. Because you can use it's "point and shoot" capability you're not spending lots of time speeding - as funny as that sounds. IOW, you're at 55 to 100+ and back down to 55 in just a few seconds

"Normal to drive," once your are past break in period it's not only normal but it's a "routine" THRILL to drive. I find myself giggling like a little girl, amazed that Porsche can build a car like it at the same time wishing for 600hp in a two-seater <$150K Porsche road car someday.

Yeah it's all stooooopid. We all know a Honda Accord is hugely more sensible than any of these p-cars.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr

"Too powerful," it's a nutty thing to say. I use every bit of power everyday I drive mine (gotta love that "boost"). The car goes very fast very fast. IOW, you don't wait for the car to accelerate. That's perfect for many tactics like closing gaps in traffic and passing on rural highways. Because you can use it's "point and shoot" capability you're not spending lots of time speeding - as funny as that sounds. IOW, you're at 55 to 100+ and back down to 55 in just a few seconds
That says why some like forced induction and others prefer NA. Some like the on/off sledge hammer effect, whereas others prefer the linear progression. IOW, the turbo is more 'digital' and the NA is more 'analog'.

FYI, a 997.2SPDK has no problem to impress a jump from 55 to 100+ either.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

FYI, a 997.2SPDK has no problem to impress a jump from 55 to 100+ either.
As nice and efficient as PDK is, AFAIK there's still no such thing as "bolt-on horsepower/tq."

Now a Turbo S with PDK is going to be:
Attached Images  

Last edited by LlBr; 12-01-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

^ Gaudy graphics are usually a sign of insecurity in one's pronouncements.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:31 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
^ Gaudy graphics are usually a sign of insecurity in one's pronouncements.
While I agree with you on NA vs. Turbo for driving feel, armchair psychology is not germane to the discussion.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I test drove a Turbo (996) before I ordered my Carrera S. I liked the S better. Lighter, more agile, slid a bit and all in all more fun.

GT3 is something different altogether. The 996 3 isn't a great street car but is a wonderful track car.

Buy what you like but drive each version to see what you like.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

I had a 997 C2, C4S and now a 997TT. I love the point and shoot capability and also like the handling. Both are great cars but there is something about having 500 HP on tap that makes it a pretty fantastic car. Go drive one and decide which floats your boat. After I took a test drive it was like I discovered a secret no one was telling me...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand people who claim to not like the torque of the turbo, or prefer their car to not have that. So many of the car's capabilities are not fully usable on the streets, especially when it comes to cornering, but you can fully enjoy the acceleration up through 3rd and 4th gear on rather open roads all the time.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I don't understand people who claim to not like the torque of the turbo, or prefer their car to not have that. So many of the car's capabilities are not fully usable on the streets, especially when it comes to cornering, but you can fully enjoy the acceleration up through 3rd and 4th gear on rather open roads all the time.
It's not that people don't like the power of the turbo, it's that they don't like all the other stuff you have to take along with the torque -- like the 4WD and the extra weight. For some people, those downsides are more important than the power gains.

Which factor can best be enjoyed on the streets (power vs handling) has a lot more to do with the streets than they do the car. The driving opportunities and challenges a person has living in Boston or Houston is very different than someone living in Santa Barbara or Austin. Not only are each of our preferences different, but our daily drives and surrounding roads are as well.

Bottom line: there is no one right answer. They're different cars that suit different circumstances.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 AM
asu_lee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Bottom line: there is no one right answer. They're different cars that suit different circumstances.
CRAZY TALK!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by asu_lee
CRAZY TALK!
I wanted to say it more acerbically but I couldn't find the appropriate novelty .gif image.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 AM
signature65
Instructor

I love turbo technology and engines.....but I don't like the way the 997 turbo looks. Even though it is the same platform, it looks so much bigger than a C2/C2S
Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I originally planned to move from my 05 997S to a 10 GT3 but after lots of thought went for my 09 TT. I probably have a bias for a more "tossible" 2WD but I have gotten used to the benefits of 4WD - sort of a tossup for me. For my actual driving needs, the TT probably works better than a 3. Actually, I wish I had one of each. The TT's power is intoxicating. But a high reving NA has its charms too. There is no one right answer, they are somewhat different animals that fill somewhat different needs.

Sometimes I'd like to commute in a 917, taking the 200 mile extra alternate route. But for the real world, my TT is damn hard to beat.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

And for me, a lot of it is the sound. The 997TT is too quiet. A 997S .1 with PSE is just right.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
And for me, a lot of it is the sound. The 997TT is too quiet. A 997S .1 with PSE is just right.
I too find the TT quite "muted" by the turbos. That said, AWE just came out with an exhaust solution for the 997.2 TTs that sounds quite wonderful.

Quick Reply: Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience--