Sponsored by:

check dipped beam

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default check dipped beam

Just want to say thanks to the rennlist for helping me fix this error on my driver xenon. FWIW this seems to effect the Cayenne owners more.

Anyway, removed headlight, cleaned contacts with eraser, put a small amount of dielectric grease on the contacts and reinstalled the headlight.

No more error for now.

eric
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

997's have this issue as well. What a pain in the !
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you provide more colour on what the problem is (symptoms)
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Driver side xenon would light up just fine and after 1-2 minutes shut off. Warning ! with "check dipped beam" alert was displayed.

I believe the alert is triggered because the car noticed increased resistance in the metal contacts between the light harness and the xenon light bucket. And to protect the car and light from a possible fire, shuts off the electricity.

So, I knew the light was good. So I searched the forums and found out that this is a well known problem with the Cayenne. Followed others instructions (clean contacts, make sure the bolts for the headlight bucket were tight, I added a little dielectric grease to protect the contacts from oxidation) and voila, no more error.

So far so good.

eric
Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there, haven't been around in a while... sold my 928 and just got an '04 Cayenne. This afternoon I put an 8000k HID kit on it and sure enough "Dipped Beam" message. From what I see looks like an easy fix. Just make sure is very clean and dielectric grease and that's it? I'm loosing my mind here because there's no pattern. I turn the car on (AUTO position) and one side lights up, turn off then back on and other side lights up only, turn engine on with one side only on and turn switch to manual (OFF) and back on and they both light up. This is driving me knocking futs! Please call me if you can offer any advise 813.770.5555 Thanks!!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabianrou
Hello there, haven't been around in a while... sold my 928 and just got an '04 Cayenne. This afternoon I put an 8000k HID kit on it and sure enough "Dipped Beam" message. From what I see looks like an easy fix. Just make sure is very clean and dielectric grease and that's it? I'm loosing my mind here because there's no pattern. I turn the car on (AUTO position) and one side lights up, turn off then back on and other side lights up only, turn engine on with one side only on and turn switch to manual (OFF) and back on and they both light up. This is driving me knocking futs! Please call me if you can offer any advise 813.770.5555 Thanks!!
HID/Xenon light ballasts are super-sensitive to low system voltage. Start the engine, the alternator "boosts" the voltage......
Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Default Cayenne HID kit

Originally Posted by wwest
HID/Xenon light ballasts are super-sensitive to low system voltage. Start the engine, the alternator "boosts" the voltage......
Turns out all the little wires in the harness that connects to the headlight were dry rotted or half broken already so I put two new ones but till having he problem. I fount out to start with that those who want to convert from an H7 bulb to an HID kit in these cars must use what's called a CAN BUS ballast. It's a different kit which cost a little more but was supposed to resolve the problem. Well... bought it, installed the two new wire harness and no freaking difference. I'm not a happy camper right now. I decided to put one of the H7's back on to see if it was the ballast or a fuse for that side and the same thing, nothing on the driver's side. New harness, new CAN BUS Kit, fuses are all good.. I don't know what else to check. I check with a ground tester and there is power going to the harness so now what... On the little white connector that hooks up to the headlight bucket, the two top terminals on each side have power. I'm starting to thing is the headlight itself but then again, that's new too!!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by Fabianrou
This afternoon I put an 8000k HID kit on it !
Best advice is: Go back to the stock bulbs. you're throwing out a lot less lumens due to the barney purple lights.

Quick Reply: check dipped beam