Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: NSX Tribute video to Aryton Senna - one of the best ever made!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 390 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
notice that he also shuffles the steering wheel
I did not see any shuffling. Senna keeps his hands all the time at 9 and 3. He does see-saw the steering a bit (that's perhaps what you are referring to) and I imagine that he does it because the chassis is unsettled. Being a smooth driver, on a properly set car he would not see-saw the steering like that.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
I did not see any shuffling. Senna keeps his hands all the time at 9 and 3. He does see-saw the steering a bit (that's perhaps what you are referring to) and I imagine that he does it because the chassis is unsettled. Being a smooth driver, on a properly set car he would not see-saw the steering like that.
Right hander at around 0:58. He dials in some right lock then grabs at 9-3 and keeps his hands there for the rest of the corner while applying corrections. It's very common to see-saw the wheel at the track. The only real way to know you're on the limit is to exceed it. Then you apply quick steering and throttle corrections to keep the car there. Senna was also famous for hammering the gas pedal as he corrected. Watch the lap again and pay attention to his throttle technique.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Right hander at around 0:58. He dials in some right lock then grabs at 9-3 and keeps his hands there for the rest of the corner while applying corrections. It's very common to see-saw the wheel at the track. The only real way to know you're on the limit is to exceed it. Then you apply quick steering and throttle corrections to keep the car there. Senna was also famous for hammering the gas pedal as he corrected. Watch the lap again and pay attention to his throttle technique.
Right, but no 'shuffling' - see-sawing.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:26 PM
rickmdz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is shuffling at 1:29, not uncommon on street cars due to steering ratios being higher compared to race cars.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

u guys are missing the point.
shuffle steering, pre positioning, whatever, when you are truly gifted you can steer with your *** and be fast.

prince and play guitar with his tongue and be better than 90% of the guitar players (he did it too)
we architects studied FLW, his floor plan topology for generations, do you see another FLW?
bjorn borg did everything wrong in classical tennis. his ***** are too short, land in front of service line. but he started topspin, it spins over ur head.

when you are good, you are good.
there are no rules for these ppl
for mortals, we use theory and generalization as kludge to help us survive. senna as not human.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

it's not shuffle steering or see saw.
at .58 he turns in. street car tends to push, he turns the wheel to get to apex. also at that instant watch his throttle, he's blipping it (throttle steer) to get to apex. then he mashes throttle, car goes off line, he corrects it with a much bigger input turning wheel to the right.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 AM
rickmdz
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
shuffle steering, pre positioning, whatever, when you are truly gifted you can steer with your *** and be fast...
+1 agreed. Exactly, theory is for us the mortals. The common teaching of no-shuffle is to simplify things and make it safe, now when you have that kind of talent you can do whatever you want, why not. Those drivers are at a different level, remember an F1 driver saying they look at the screens on the grand stands to see where the competitors are, while racing! amazing what they can do at race speed.
To add to your list, not to forget the great McEnroe with his unorthodox tennis totally dominated an era, good luck trying to imitate his style!

OP, I liked the movie, very artistic, well done. Although it would have been much more emotional and appropriate with f1 footage if it's a Senna tribute. The way it is look like a NSX commercial.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rickmdz
To add to your list, not to forget the great McEnroe with his unorthodox tennis totally dominated an era, good luck trying to imitate his style!

l.
i was going to add that to my example.
no one really did that.
he's go weird but great serve.
useless forehand, weak backhand. but once he's at the net, you are history.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:02 AM
zanwar
Pro

My understanding of shuffle steering is repositioning your hands after you've turned the wheel. I used to steer like this all the time, until I broke the habit and learnt to hold the wheel at the 9-3 spokes. I had better results after the switch. To me it looks like Senna shuffles the wheel at :58 because of the amount of lock he needs in that long right hander. I don't understand what you mean by throttle steering here... seems like he's trying to find the point where he can feed in full power. Once he mashes the pedal, he has to compensate by opening up the steering. Was he blipping to intentionally oversteer?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

My understanding of shuffle steering is repositioning your hands after you've turned the wheel. I used to steer like this all the time, until I broke the habit and learnt to hold the wheel at the 9-3 spokes. I had better results after the switch. To me it looks like Senna shuffles the wheel at :58 because of the amount of lock he needs in that long right hander. I don't understand what you mean by throttle steering here... seems like he's trying to find the point where he can feed in full power. Once he mashes the pedal, he has to compensate by opening up the steering. Was he blipping to intentionally oversteer?
Yes!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:29 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

blipping to oversteer. well not how i would term it. but it is what he was doing. the car pushes. you turn the wheel to the apex. lift throttle car will tuck in toward apex (oversteer), then get on the gas to straighten it out, then repeat (blipping). once he got the apex. he feeds full power and correct str to get to where he wants to go. steering is always contorlled by both str wheel and the throttle.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 AM
zanwar
Pro

blipping to oversteer. well not how i would term it. but it is what he was doing. the car pushes. you turn the wheel to the apex. lift throttle car will tuck in toward apex (oversteer), then get on the gas to straighten it out, then repeat (blipping). once he got the apex. he feeds full power and correct str to get to where he wants to go. steering is always contorlled by both str wheel and the throttle.
Thanks for the explanation. I do the same thing to get the car to rotate into slower speed corners, but I've never tried it in a repeated fashion the way he's doing, and certainly not at those speeds. I can think of a specific corner at the track where I'm always struggling to make the car turn in, and this technique would probably help me nail it. My mistake is that I try to accomplish the turn in with a single lift, rather than a series of smaller lifts.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

shuffle steering, pre positioning, whatever, when you are truly gifted you can steer with your *** and be fast.
when you are good, you are good.
there are no rules for these ppl
for mortals, we use theory and generalization as kludge to help us survive. senna as not human.
+1. Exactly! He's got such a feel for the car and such amazing hand, eye, feet coordination that is more like dancing! Samba is it?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Kuhan
Racer

I always take comfort in the fact that driving was Senna's job and that's why he was as good as he was.

Since we're all Porsche owners, I assume we must be good at something so that we can afford these cars and I'm failrly sure that Senna was lousy at that something we're good at!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I always take comfort in the fact that driving was Senna's job and that's why he was as good as he was.

Since we're all Porsche owners, I assume we must be good at something so that we can afford these cars and I'm failrly sure that Senna was lousy at that something we're good at!
That's partially true... as Senna was THE BEST of ALL whose job was driving. Michael Jordan of racing.

Quick Reply: OT: NSX Tribute video to Aryton Senna - one of the best ever made!