Sponsored by:

PDK vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 01:48 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Using someone who clearly struggles with a manual to prove your point doesn't really cut it.
Read the implications of what I said please. For instance guys do not "clearly" struggle with manuals, they don't even know they are struggling.

Not using that to prove a point, using it to show what's involved in the "debate" probably a large percentage of guys who can't shift a manual anyway. Just an interesting "note:" not proving anything.

More stuff to say but no time. Also I'm sorry you got mildly upset or whatever. I apologised in advance and said "no disrespect" and meant it since I was just using your comment to make a point. Nothing personal.

Sheeet! I gotta get going. Sorry: lemme reassure you I'm not trying to pick on you or any other specific individual here.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:57 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Read the implications of what I said please. For instance guys do not "clearly" struggle with manuals, they don't even know they are struggling.

Not using that to prove a point, using it to show what's involved in the "debate" probably a large percentage of guys who can's shift a manual anyway. Just interesting: not proving anything.

More stuff to say but no time. Also I'm sorry you got defensive. I apologised in advance and aid "no disrecpect" since I was just using your comment to make a point. Nothing personal.

Sheeet! I gotta get going. Sorry: lemme reassure you I'm not trying to pick on you or any other specific individual here.
C'mon - now you're using sweeping and unsubstantiated generalizations... And yes, you illustrated your point by giving a specific example of someone that you had driven with whom you felt struggled with a manual transmission...

That said, perhaps you ought to follow your own advice and actually try to understand what others are posting. As for getting defensive, I do seem to recall your participation in a recent thread about driving feel between the Turbo and the standard Carrera. On the strength of that thread, you might want to take a quick look in the mirror.

Last edited by swajames; 11-20-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:59 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of days ago, I had the opportunity to track a PDK Cayman, both firsts for me. I found the PDK to be so capable that you could basically forget about the drivetrain and just concentrate on lines, apexes and weight shifting. It that sense it was fantastic. What I didn't like was the user interface. The accelerator pedal has some kind of "kickdown" switch at the bottom and I was never really sure if I was giving the car 100%. I ran several laps in "D" holding the wheel at 10-2 and let the computer do the work, and it appeared to always do the right thing. I tried running in "M" and held the wheel at 9-3, but I kept hitting the PDK buttons by accident. I thought the buttons also felt a bit cheesy. If they offered the choice, I would pick column mounted shifters and R/N/D push buttons over the big PDK selector.

Bottom line is, if I was to buy a new track car I would definitely consider PDK. For a street car I'm not so sure, I'd probably still choose a manual.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
My hypothesis is that those who prefer the operation of a manual will find the PDK efficient, but UNsatisfying.
Huh - I know there is some logic error in the above but I'm no logician.

But it goes something like "...those who prefer the...manual...will" - well, what's left to say - they prefer it - foregone conclusion or something like that - mind is already made up. Or maybe it is the "will find" - would sound less closed as "have found" - like maybe they actually gave it a shot without the foregone conclusion.

Right, because you can't prefer it over (a given thing) if you have not tried the given thing, unless you are just close minded.

...those who prefer the operation of a manual have found the PDK efficient, but UNsatisfying.

or ...those who will prefer the operation of a manual will find the PDK efficient, but UNsatisfying.

But don't quote me on that.

I think the real issue that stirs up the soul in this topic is the fear that manual gear boxes will go away, not that PDK is not good or even more capable at doing the engineered task at hand more efficiently. And that the long term goal of efficiency will take all the fun out of driving, so one may as well be riding rapid transit - all automated - nothing to do but play with the iPhone and read a virtual paper.

We who buy this PDK thing are affirming it - evangelising it - helping it to take over. Yes, we're kinda the bad guys here - if we wouldn't buy it , everything would be cool. God forbid we talk someone else into it. And I would never - I think PDK is for experimental types who have gotten all the trills they can get out of shifting and need a new toy. Others should stick to shifting the old way - keep the dream alive and all - so that when I/we want to switch back, there'll still be cars with gear levers and pedal clutches. Hold down the fort guys, we dabblers are depending on you to keep the pot warm so that when we come home, home will still be there for us.

OK, so it's more of a soul searching hypothesis - but I say go long, if you're going to go...
Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 PM
mambodoc
Pro

I was convinced to buy a 6 speed Carrera, after a tip Cayenne Turbo...drove 2 six speeds and then an MY09 C4S PDK launch car...that was it...fun to drive and the latest technology. I'm lovin it every minute...a beauty to look at too.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by swajames
C'mon - now you're using sweeping and unsubstantiated generalizations... And yes, you illustrated your point by giving a specific example of someone that you had driven with whom you felt struggled with a manual transmission...

That said, perhaps you ought to follow your own advice and actually try to understand what others are posting. As for getting defensive, I do seem to recall your participation in a recent thread about driving feel between the Turbo and the standard Carrera. On the strength of that thread, you might want to take a quick look in the mirror.
Whaaaaaaa? Yeah Okay.

I think I communicated rather clearly in my posts above.

OTOH, I ain't got time to try to untangle WTF you are trying to say.

I'm sorry about that. Good luck!

Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

LMAO!!!

Eventhough, Nugget pretty much summed up HOW this whole debate is gonna be argued on PAGE-1, we're still debating for FIVE PAGES!

At the end of the day, it's all about personal preference. There was a time when Manual had unquestionable advantage over Automatic/Tip transmissions, and that advantage is relatively gone with PDK and now the debate comes down to pros and cons of each, and THE IMPORTANCE of each pro/con to an individual... hence, this debate may goto Page 20 without any agreement!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

All in all it doesn't matter what our opinions are regarding PDK vs. 6MT. The OP is the one who will have decide which transmission best suits him. Each of us chose ours for a specific reason that satisfied us.
I can say that this will most likely be my last manual transmission but not because I don't want to continue driving them. I prefer manual transmissions but will have to change for health reasons.
I am just happy we have the option to select either one!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

6M or PDK. During a spirited drive if you have a big grin on you face. That's all that matters.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
LMAO!!!

Eventhough, Nugget pretty much summed up HOW this whole debate is gonna be argued on PAGE-1, we're still debating for FIVE PAGES!

At the end of the day, it's all about personal preference. There was a time when Manual had unquestionable advantage over Automatic/Tip transmissions, and that advantage is relatively gone with PDK and now the debate comes down to pros and cons of each, and THE IMPORTANCE of each pro/con to an individual... hence, this debate may goto Page 20 without any agreement!
It's 5-pages long because the guys arguing for manual can't just say, I like manual and stop at that. They have to go another step and say that the PDK lacks something. Then of course, the PDK guys have to come back and counter that. But take note that you do not find a single post of a PDK proponent, putting down a manual...

I say - take your pick, they are both great.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:04 AM
vrnkc
Advanced

Shifting SLOWLY through the gears IS enjoyable!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 AM
asu_lee
Advanced

I follow the James Dean postulate....Would JD have driven a PDK? I think not.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by asu_lee
I follow the James Dean postulate....Would JD have driven a PDK? I think not.
Dean was very competitive and loved racing. I'm guessing, same as you, but I bet if you told him that he could have a transmission that would help make him faster, he'd have taken it in a heartbeat.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

There's a mountain near me that is covered in snow through the winter and a cable car takes paying customers to the top to look at the view. It's a beautiful and inspiring place which lifts the spirits and satisfies the soul.

The cable car will then take you back down swiftly, efficiently and in complete comfort - unless anyone has wind

On the other hand, you could put on a pair of of skis or a snowboard and hurtle yourself down the mountain, your exhilaration conditioned by the extent to which you can marry your biomechanical effort to the will of gravity and demands of the terrain.

At the bottom the cable car passengers might be waiting for you, perhaps even commenting on your slower arrival. Your legs will ache and your clothes will be soaked in snow and sweat.

But who'll be wearing the bigger smile?

Last edited by Betternotbigger; 11-21-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
LlBr
Drifting

IMO? Manual/PDK? Get whichever you want. No problem. Enjoy what you enjoy.

FWIW: Here's an argument. For the sake of argument. Just talking. Toying with the idea. No flames please:

Most guys firmly believe faster, more traction, more stability, agility, control, power, acceleration and speed are what Porsche is all about.

PDK delivers all of that with maximum power super fast shifts up or down anytime anywhere.

From this POV a manual tranny ordered in cars of the future is going to be a gimmick option, like quad tips or the SC wart. It'll be offered for "old times sake."

Conclusion. Like flaming red leather interior, or maximum Sycamore Light Wood trim, it'll be another "personalization" giveaway.

You can tell a lot about which type of guy owns the car by the gearbox he orders.

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual