Sponsored by:

PDK vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:36 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
From this POV a manual tranny ordered in cars of the future is going to be a gimmick option, like quad tips or the SC wart. It'll be offered for "old times sake."
[/SIZE]
Yes, retro version: you get the hand crank windows, manual gearbox, Fuchs wheels, no A/C, Blaupunkt tape deck/AM/FM, spare tire, dip stick, cloth door pulls, 128hp flat-6, $250K.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
IMO? Manual/PDK? Get whichever you want. No problem

You can tell a lot about which type of guy owns the car by the gearbox he orders.
You can't have it both ways. Either disparage people who choose differently than you do, or don't.

Just don't insult them and while claiming you have "no problem" with their choices. That's just cowardly.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:53 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nugget
You can't have it both ways. Either disparage people who choose differently than you do, or don't.

Just don't insult them and while claiming you have "no problem" with their choices. That's just cowardly.
Seems like a joke and a light one at that - sort of "as if". What does it even mean? Is he callin' PDK guys whimps? Why, I oughtta...

Seriously, "ladies, you can tell a lot about a guy from his gearbox"? We all know it's the shoes, not the gearbox. No...wait...big hands, maybe?

Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

That's the MO of many in this forum and the position most PDK critics take, i.e., they tacitly agree that PDK is technically very good (honestly they could not say otherwise) and go on saying it's less involving and not the right transmission for their kind of driver.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
That's the MO of many in this forum and the position most PDK critics take, i.e., they tacitly agree that PDK is technically very good (honestly they could not say otherwise) and go on saying it's less involving and not the right transmission for their kind of driver.
I was just suggesting that LlBr should own his opinion. Just as I'd hope that someone could honestly and directly explain that they find the PDK less involving. That's not an "MO" it's just an opinion. Saying "PDK is less involving" is not an attack on people who prefer the PDK.

People are allowed to disagree about this, you know? There's nothing wrong with either preference.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Remember, it's all about having the OPTION. You get to chose what you want. Each has pluses and minuses and you must determine that for yourself, and not base your decision upon the inputs of others.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

PDK is less involving. There's way less to do - even in manual mode, the computer is still doing everything other than gear change timing. In auto, it controls everything about gear changes... or does it?

I guess the debate can be, now that you are not involved with that, can you be more involved with steering, braking, watching traffic, drinking coffee, texting, day-dreaming, putting on makeup, trying to out-think the PDK computers...or just wasting the time doing nothing?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Remember, it's all about having the OPTION.
I agree completely, and I think stevepow was very insightful when he observed:
Originally Posted by stevepow
I think the real issue that stirs up the soul in this topic is the fear that manual gear boxes will go away, not that PDK is not good or even more capable at doing the engineered task at hand more efficiently...
For me, at least, this is exactly on target. I am scared that the manual transmission will eventually be eliminated by Porsche in the same way that we've seen with some other sports car marques. I don't want to lose the option, even recognizing that the PDK is indisputably superior and faster. If at times I sound shrill it's because of this fear. I don't want to lose the option.

I was out at the track all day yesterday (yay Texas weather) but wasn't able to carry my track wheels with me so I was running on my nearly-dead street tires. On aging street tires at Harris Hill Road my lap times were about four seconds off my usual times (5% slower, give or take). I didn't have any less fun. In fact, it was a total blast hooning around through the tight corners and making the best use of slip and oversteer as I could with the lack of grip. I usually come home from the track a little sore, but today it's my cheeks that ache from the grinning.

I was way slower, but arguably had more fun than usual. I don't care how you specced your Porsche -- you invariably made decisions which harmed the performance of the car because the tradeoff made sense to you. Perhaps you chose the heavier leather interior, or the much heavier Bose subwoofer. Maybe you chose a Carrera S instead of a GT3 because you wanted to be able to enter a parking garage or drive up your driveway without scraping. Or if you did go for the GT3, maybe you bought the front end lift kit.

If performance were the only meaningful metric we'd all be driving Ariel Atoms, right?

And if you chose a PDK in your car, that's fine. I totally understand why someone would prefer the PDK. It's an astounding piece of engineering that's indisputably faster and safer than a manual transmission. Good on you if you want one. Also at the track yesterday with me was a friend in a Boxster Spyder who chose the PDK for his car. He was having a lot of fun too.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I was just suggesting that LlBr should own his opinion. Just as I'd hope that someone could honestly and directly explain that they find the PDK less involving. That's not an "MO" it's just an opinion. Saying "PDK is less involving" is not an attack on people who prefer the PDK.

People are allowed to disagree about this, you know? There's nothing wrong with either preference.
I fully agree with your last statement, but not the first.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Remember, it's all about having the OPTION. You get to chose what you want. Each has pluses and minuses and you must determine that for yourself, and not base your decision upon the inputs of others.
Correct! PDK is just an option. It's good to have options.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

PDK is less involving. There's way less to do - even in manual mode, the computer is still doing everything other than gear change timing. In auto, it controls everything about gear changes... or does it?

I guess the debate can be, now that you are not involved with that, can you be more involved with steering, braking, watching traffic, drinking coffee, texting, day-dreaming, putting on makeup, trying to out-think the PDK computers...or just wasting the time doing nothing?
PDK is not less involving. On one hand one is less involved in the shifting process because his left leg is not pushing a clutch, but on the other hand one is far more involved in steering and involved with his left leg pushing the dead pedal to hold himself on high lateral-g canyon runs.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I agree completely, and I think stevepow was very insightful when he observed:

For me, at least, this is exactly on target. I am scared that the manual transmission will eventually be eliminated by Porsche in the same way that we've seen with some other sports car marques. I don't want to lose the option, even recognizing that the PDK is indisputably superior and faster. If at times I sound shrill it's because of this fear. I don't want to lose the option.

I was out at the track all day yesterday (yay Texas weather) but wasn't able to carry my track wheels with me so I was running on my nearly-dead street tires. On aging street tires at Harris Hill Road my lap times were about four seconds off my usual times (5% slower, give or take). I didn't have any less fun. In fact, it was a total blast hooning around through the tight corners and making the best use of slip and oversteer as I could with the lack of grip. I usually come home from the track a little sore, but today it's my cheeks that ache from the grinning.

I was way slower, but arguably had more fun than usual. I don't care how you specced your Porsche -- you invariably made decisions which harmed the performance of the car because the tradeoff made sense to you. Perhaps you chose the heavier leather interior, or the much heavier Bose subwoofer. Maybe you chose a Carrera S instead of a GT3 because you wanted to be able to enter a parking garage or drive up your driveway without scraping. Or if you did go for the GT3, maybe you bought the front end lift kit.

If performance were the only meaningful metric we'd all be driving Ariel Atoms, right?

And if you chose a PDK in your car, that's fine. I totally understand why someone would prefer the PDK. It's an astounding piece of engineering that's indisputably faster and safer than a manual transmission. Good on you if you want one. Also at the track yesterday with me was a friend in a Boxster Spyder who chose the PDK for his car. He was having a lot of fun too.
This is the kind of argument and reasoning I respect.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:13 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

I find myself constantly thinking about how the car knows what to do when - and will it do the right thing - so much so that I may as well be shifting myself. It is exhausting. I run to the grocery store and I'm just worn out by the time I get back.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I find myself constantly thinking about how the car knows what to do when - and will it do the right thing - so much so that I may as well be shifting myself. It is exhausting. I run to the grocery store and I'm just worn out by the time I get back.
Get out of your misery. Drive in M and use it as a sequential.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:05 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

WTF? You calling me a liar about what my opinion is?

Go pick a fight in "Politics and Controversy" forum.

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual