Sponsored by:

PDK vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Everyone knows that the PDK is a sterile, boring transmission designed for florists and dentists who want to turn their Porsche into an uninspiring transportation appliance with a badge. One time a guy tried to take his PDK Carrera S to a racetrack and he wrecked it because he fell asleep from boredom on the main straight and drove into the armco. The PDK transmission also weighs seven-hundred and thirty pounds (I heard).

Similarly, the manual transmission is clearly an archaic and dangerous performance-robbing anachronism like bias ply tires and hand-crank engine starting. Statistics show that 85% of all manual transmission cars will eventually be wrecked when the driver unwisely tries to shift gears while negotiating a freeway on-ramp, unsettling the car and sending it into a ditch. The only people who would ever want a manual transmission are just septuagenerian luddites who are afraid of modern technology.
+1000! This is priceless, same can be said for debate between RWD and AWD!

To OP:
Basically, this is now very personal. Before it was easier to distinguish between Tip and manual, but now it's much closer performance wise.

Drive both to see which you like best. I still prefer Manual for the driver engagement and heel-toe-shifting. However, some like the ease of fast shifting PDK provides without a clutch!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Drive both to see which you like best. I still prefer Manual for the driver engagement and heel-toe-shifting. However, some like the ease of fast shifting PDK provides without a clutch!
Well, it's got 2 clutches actually, just no clutch pedal, and it makes the whole car faster not just the shifting!

Just stirrin' the pot, Alex. I get your point.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Well, it's got 2 clutches actually, and it makes the whole car faster not just the shifting!

Just stirrin' the pot, Alex. I get your point.
Really? But then you're gaining additional weight that screws up the balance of the car!

Back at you! LOL!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:58 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Really? But then you're gaining additional weight that screws up the balance of the car!

Back at you! LOL!
Add spare tire to frunk - balance restored.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
Add spare tire to frunk - balance restored.
LOL!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had a PDK for 16 months. I just got a new 2010 Carrera S manual.
PDK is great if you need to commute in stop and go traffic, or if you need to set the absolutely fastest time on a track.
Otherwise, a manual is a lot more fun on roads or track.
Take your pick.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
Actually, the personal feelings of the F1 drivers would be irrelevant compared to those of regular owners.

Not at all irrelevant in terms of trying to understand the technological change over to PDK in sports cars.

Remember when F1 did the change over? There must have been a debate going on. What were the drivers saying at the time?

Would be really nice to know what they predicted in terms of their "feeling connected" to their cars and then to know what the outcome of that prediction was.

Did any of them say the personal challenge diminished or did it intensify?

I guess there are no racing historians on RL.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Everyone knows that the PDK is a sterile, boring transmission designed for florists and dentists who want to turn their Porsche into an uninspiring transportation appliance with a badge. One time a guy tried to take his PDK Carrera S to a racetrack and he wrecked it because he fell asleep from boredom on the main straight and drove into the armco. The PDK transmission also weighs seven-hundred and thirty pounds (I heard).

Similarly, the manual transmission is clearly an archaic and dangerous performance-robbing anachronism like bias ply tires and hand-crank engine starting. Statistics show that 85% of all manual transmission cars will eventually be wrecked when the driver unwisely tries to shift gears while negotiating a freeway on-ramp, unsettling the car and sending it into a ditch. The only people who would ever want a manual transmission are just septuagenerian luddites who are afraid of modern technology.
Now this is tier 1 material!

Nugget MUST be a "gear rower" to be this good!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sport Chrono is a MUST with the PDK transmission. It in effect gives you three transmissons in "auto" mode due to three different programs of when the transmission shifts in the rev range:
o Normal - will shift early in the rev renge for maximum MPG
o Sport - will higher in the rev range for a more spirited experience
o Sport Plus - will not shift until it hits red line for an extremely agressive experience.

As others have said, drive both and make your choice. Fortunately, there is no "bad" choice, because it is a Porsche.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And it will also shift in manual mode, though it seems to have different software depending on which of the above settings you have chosen.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread is top shelf, esp Nugget's comments!
I have a few comments/opinions/observations:
I was recently at the track , 1st for my c2s pdk, and at first go i drove her in FULL AUTO mode w/ SPort + as i wanted to fimilarize myself w/ the track. What a tranny! It was telepathic. it knew when to upshift. it knew when to downshift. Very good indeed.
In manual mode, interestingly, i found myself using the shift leveler vs the toggles. It felt "natural" to me. And even more interesting my left leg was twitching!
In anycase the PDK, despite some shortcomings, is truely a great tranny.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Not at all irrelevant in terms of trying to understand the technological change over to PDK in sports cars.

Remember when F1 did the change over? There must have been a debate going on. What were the drivers saying at the time?

Would be really nice to know what they predicted in terms of their "feeling connected" to their cars and then to know what the outcome of that prediction was.

Did any of them say the personal challenge diminished or did it intensify?

I guess there are no racing historians on RL.
Without actual accounts of the debate at that time, we're left to speculate mostly. However, whatever misgivings the drivers may or must've had about the changeover, I'd suspect they were easily dismissed once they saw the track results.

As far as feeling connected to the car, it wouldn't be difficult for me to understand how PDK would intensify that "connection" between a driver and car. You think it, and it does it, and sometimes it even does it before you think it -- that's how good the PDK is. My contention would be on the "personal challenge" aspect, as it depends on how it's defined. Nonetheless, I think I can safely say that the PDK would seem to diminish the physical challenge part of driving. I fail to see how two hands on the wheel flicking/pushing levers/buttons would be more demanding than one hand on the wheel, one hand shifting, all the while stabbing a pedal and heel-and-toeing.

Again, I'm not making light of PDK's technological prowess or disparaging PDK owners' driving skills in any way. It's just one aspect of a sports car I personally cannot sacrifice (and yes, I have sampled the PDK).

BTW, I'd love a Cayenne or Panamera with PDK.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
In manual mode, interestingly, i found myself using the shift leveler vs the toggles. It felt "natural" to me.
My shift timing is still better and more natural for me using the shifter rather that the wheel. Even after 4+ years driving SMG/PDK style cars. I guess the 30 years of manual is hard to shake off. And with PDK, trying to out-shift it using manual mode is like a game - and I generally lose. Occasionally Sport/Auto does some goofy things at low RPMs between 1st and 2nd, but most times it kicks my but on upshifts and downshifts.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
My shift timing is still better and more natural for me using the shifter rather that the wheel. Even after 4+ years driving SMG/PDK style cars. I guess the 30 years of manual is hard to shake off. And with PDK, trying to out-shift it using manual mode is like a game - and I generally lose. Occasionally Sport/Auto does some goofy things at low RPMs between 1st and 2nd, but most times it kicks my but on upshifts and downshifts.
I drive in M mode 99.5% of the time. I drive in D/Sport sometimes on canyon runs.

Contrary to the common wisdom I actually prefer M mode in stop-and-go traffic as it gives me full control. And SC Normal is better for that. I use, indifferently, the stick or steering buttons to change gears. Because I prefer Porsche's dual/redundant buttons, I can shift with either hand, which is great.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

get PDk with the paddle shifters. IMO its the best combination out there. if you want to shift go manual and shift with the paddles so easy yet satisfying, if you hit traffic which is everywhere.. go automatic and convinience is there... we all know traffic is everywhere and it is a part of driving and personally i think the automatic is the convinient type of tranny for this kind of driving. so with PDK you actually have both...

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual