Sponsored by:

PDK vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
get PDk with the paddle shifters. IMO its the best combination out there. if you want to shift go manual and shift with the paddles so easy yet satisfying, if you hit traffic which is everywhere.. go automatic and convinience is there... we all know traffic is everywhere and it is a part of driving and personally i think the automatic is the convinient type of tranny for this kind of driving. so with PDK you actually have both...
Interesting. Exactly the opposite of what I practice (post #29)
Old 11-19-2010, 04:37 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Contrary to the common wisdom I actually prefer M mode in stop-and-go traffic as it gives me full control.
Same here - for that situation, I think I do better than the "program" or at least I prefer to do it myself.

The other thing I notice now using M mode and trying to "beat the computer" is how much concentration you use up thinking about shifting, especially driving in town with other cars doing random things - not like on a track where the drivers are better and more predictable. So when not in stop and go, but busy traffic, auto lets me focus more on what other drivers are doing - I kind of like that. It is a subtle thing, but sometimes subtly counts.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:44 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another advantage of PDK is that when you drive in Auto mode, your right hand is free and if your better half wants you to hold her hand, you can. My woman is like that; she wants her hand to be held most of the time.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TooSixy
Another advantage of PDK is that when you drive in Auto mode, your right hand is free and if your better half wants you to hold her hand, you can. My woman is like that; she wants her hand to be held most of the time.
Oh man, I could shift and get back to holding hands so quickly and smoothly back in the day - never missed a beat!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevepow
Oh man, I could shift and get back to holding hands so quickly and smoothly back in the day - never missed a beat!
The TSA personnel by now has a lot of practice.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

LOL!

Just don't touch my junk!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:12 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Really? You must have thought your were on Facebook when you posted that.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

maybe i should try that method you guys suggest in traffic, nevertheless i think we prove a point about pdk...you have the best of both worlds. the benefit i am suggesting by the way is not having the clutch when in traffic.. having a clutch is a bit bothersome in traffic and stop and go does tire the left leg after awhile. with pdk whether you prefer to go manual of auto all we need to do is press buttons as for adias' preference or paddle shifters for others here
Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

... with pdk whether you prefer to go manual of auto all we need to do is press buttons as for adias' preference or paddle shifters for others here
... or leave it in D.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:20 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

exactly
Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

get PDk with the paddle shifters. IMO its the best combination out there. if you want to shift go manual and shift with the paddles so easy yet satisfying, if you hit traffic which is everywhere.. go automatic and convinience is there... we all know traffic is everywhere and it is a part of driving and personally i think the automatic is the convinient type of tranny for this kind of driving. so with PDK you actually have both...
Sorry, but if you like to shift for yourself the PDK is completely UNsatisfying. Clicking a pedal with a finger or two in no way replicates the satisfaction of smoothly working the clutch and tranny.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

^ I just bought a manual transmission car which I have no problem in operating and the car shifts beautifully. But I prefer the PDK which I operate mostly in manual mode. There are no absolutes, and I disagree with those who do not have a PDK and pontificate about it with absolutes.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

^ I just bought a manual transmission car which I have no problem in operating and the car shifts beautifully. But I prefer the PDK which I operate mostly in manual mode. There are no absolutes, and I disagree with those who do not have a PDK and pontificate about it with absolutes.
No absolutes ofcourse, but again, there are many people who HAVE DRIVEN PDK and yet disagree with you!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Sorry, but if you like to shift for yourself the PDK is completely UNsatisfying. Clicking a pedal with a finger or two in no way replicates the satisfaction of smoothly working the clutch and tranny.
+1!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

See, that's the problem - I didn't say anything about people who are capable of driving a manual, I was speaking of people who enjoy and prefer a manual. You clearly state you prefer the PDK, which puts you outside my target group and makes your opinion relatively pointless with regard to evaluating my statement. My hypothesis is that those who prefer the operation of a manual will find the PDK efficient, but UNsatisfying.

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual