Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket in a Porsche in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Speeding ticket in a Porsche in Texas.

Driving my wife's Cayenne S to the shop the other day and got flagged by a motorcycle cop hiding out in the midsection between two lane road on my way to the main highway/1640 loop. Didn't think I was going that fast but he let the two cars ahead of me go and nailed me as I was slowing down or trying to. Got me for doing a presumed 60mph in 45 mph road and was a nice guy about it. His 1st comment was "Kinda hard to slow these (Porsches') down huh?" We both kinda laughed to which I replied "I don't know..don't get to drive it that often...it's my wife's car."

Glad it wasn't my Carrera...who knows what the ticket would have been but I was surprised at the cost! $190+ for 10-20mph over the speed limit. Wow maybe cause I haven't had a ticket in years and I am used to 2001 ticket prices! LOL Anyway they offered me Justice of the Peace or payment...think I'll just pay it as don't see how to get outta this one. Thoughts? What would you guys do other than drive a new route from now on! LOL

I guess they really do do things bigger in Texas! :

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I feel for you, but my last ticket (2004) was $400 for doing much the same in a small town (a known speed trap to the locals). In VA, some tickets are almost a grand. Unless you have bad insurance rates in your part of the world, just pay it and move on. Cities have to make up for budget short falls some how.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get differed adjudication or defensive driving. You'll still have to pay but no points on your license.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No state income tax.

Pay the ticket. Buy a Valentine.

Good trade.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Ahh yes, Loop 1604. I lived in SA for 30 years. Lots of speed traps in NE San Antonio.

Defensive driving if you have the time. If not, pay the fine.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:30 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Get differed adjudication or defensive driving. You'll still have to pay but no points on your license.
^^^

no points is the most important part.. usually you can pay the fine, take the class and no points without any problem.. points cost you more than anything else in long run..

also if you hire a lawyer, even a cheap one.. usually the judge just accepts the above automatically so you dont waste his time... you'll notice in traffic court that 5-10 lawyers go up before hand and then the judge calls out a group of names of those that can leave because their fate has been decided (same fine, no points, take class).. the people that wait without lawyers as the judge doesnt wanna be there and usually hits you with double the fine just for wasting his time..
Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

It's all about revenue. If you can do traffic school take that and move on.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I agree. This is what I've been doing, as I get a ticket every year. The other advise about a V1 is great too, if you don't have one. My last ticket was very similar experience. The cop was very nice and we laughed and shook hands as he handed me the ticket.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, in Texas you take defensive driving and avoid the points once a year, which is absolutely worth doing to prevent insurance rate increases from the moving violation.

Another thing you can do is spend as much time as possible on the eight road course race tracks that are within driving distance and get as much speed out of your system as possible. Since I started going to the track I've turned into a pretty boring and slow driver on the street. It's just not any fun on the street now. I still have the V1 though
Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

No points means no increase in insurance if you are in NJ. Who cares about the 200 bucks? An insurance increase of $500 per year for three years wold get my attention.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Defensive driving costs about the same as the ticket so the only thing you are losing by doing it is 6 hours of your life. However, when you complete the course, you get a certificate which you can send to your insurance company and get your premium reduced!

All in all, doing defensive driving is a no-brainer unless you have so much money that it doesn't matter.

By the way, do the course as quick as you can - you get about three months from when you elect to do the course to when you have to show proof. The 1-year period (after which you can do defensive driving again to get out of a ticket) is taken from the date you completed the course and not the date you got the ticket.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:06 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Real expense is the increased insurance premiums over the longer term. I'd do what others say about defensive driving course or whatever.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Texas has nothing on Virginia. Got a ticket for 79 in a 65 a few years ago, and it was $480. I'll drive 100 miles out of my way not to drive in VA.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
No state income tax.

Pay the ticket. Buy a Valentine.

Good trade.
Good advice...
Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Fk 'em all. When I drive? I have 110% attention on the road. I'm looking for things to go wrong. That's all I do, enjoy the car and look for sh*t to happen. Pedestrians, animals, blind drives. What that means? If I'm going 60 in a 45 it's safe to do so.

Put another way, there are sections of roadway posted for 45 on which it is safe for attentive well-equipped drivers to go 60. Do they put up 60mph signs for those sections? No.

Also, Why should I who pays total attention to the conditions..., I who am totally into situational awareness feel guilty when stopped?

Cop says to you "Kinda hard to slow these (Porsches') down huh?" I'm ready to shoot back, "What the fk are you talking about? Why should I have been driving slower?! All I do is pay attention and vary speed according to road conditions and terrain and proximity to potential hazards! Get out of my way!"

Anyway, sorry you got nailed. If you are rational, experienced and totally into paying attention while driving and have excellent equipment (P-car) DO NOT feel guilty.

Oops - sorry - thanks for your rant attentiveness.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket in a Porsche in Texas.