Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a solution for Sirius or XM without have it installed by a pro -thanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone have a solution for Sirius or XM without have it installed by a pro -thanks

I love Howard stern and have my crappy sirius that I have plugged into the plug in the center console with the fm transmitter.

I am tired of the static I always get fro mthe FM transmitter and I always have to manually turn it off due to the outlet that is always on.

Plus mine isn't mounted as the only mount snaps and scratches the vents ...

Please give me suggestions, I really don't want to turn my car over to a car stereo place and have it taken apart ...

Does SIrirus or XM offer a radio that has a chargable battery ... is there a mount I can buy to have it on the side of the console ... I am open to any suggestions to make it a little more permanant without having to go to a shop.

I wish this car had an aux outlet ...

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
leneuromancer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Nav-TV Sirius unit myself (that FM thing lasted a day)

..but this only means you are taking apart the car, and not an experienced professional?

..note that I believe that the Denison product can be mounted in the trunk - minimal impact and likely easier to do

Neither of these are cheap options, but the integration into the PCM unit is worth it IMHO
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Adam Conrad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with leneuromancer - I installed the NAV-TV unit in my Cayenne and I would recommend to do the same for the 997. I have installed the Dension unit for ipod and Bluetooth in my 997, but no Sirius as yet. Even though the Dension has inputs/RCA connections for a sirius radio, I like the integrated look and install of the NAV-TV unit. I needed bluetooth right away and I am trying to live without the Sirius by listening to my ipod. It is good for now, but won't last.......

Last edited by Adam Conrad; 11-03-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Cayenne Sirius unit in my GT3 and 997S myself. Both were 2007 cars.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Me too. I have the Nav-TV Sirius with the best of XM included in my subscription ( which includes HomeIce the NHL station among other xm stations). It's the only way to go. Static free reception, station identifier (ie Classic Rewind etc) and station presets for up to 20 stations right on your PCM screen.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Thanks that Nav-tv looks like a great solution though at $899 it is expensive ... I will probably go for it.

On this unit where did you put the antenna ? The directions for some reason on that website don't show it. Is there better directions for the install ?

Also will this work on my car which doesn't have Navigation (does that matter ?)

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
leneuromancer
Advanced

I don't think that OEM navigation is a requirement ...Nav-TV should be able to confirm that though

My antenna is under the front passenger cowl, stuck with double sided tape (and stays just fine) ...cable runs from front compartment into trunk area easily enough

If you want Nav, then I have seen some nice installs of the Pioneer AVIC (?) units, would give you Nav/Sirius/iPod, and likely many other options not in the PCM ...not sure on cost of all this though.

GL
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Get a Garmin Zumo 665. It offers 3D View Navigation, Traffic and weather services, Lane Assist, Voice recognition, Address and Telephone search by name, Bluetooth, XM radio, MP3 playback and a whole bunch of other features. Mine is hardwired and mounted at the top of the windshield to the left of the rearview mirror. And all that through the car speakers with cristal clear audio. I love that the music shuts off when a call comes in or for nav prompts, then goes back to music automatically. I have no wires hanging down. The power cord is routed through the A pillar to the fuse box. The XM wire runs under the plastic trim along the top of the door to the rear window shelf, where the black round antenna sits. The aux wire runs down the A-pillar, under the dash, through the centre console and into the armrest, where the aux input is. And the small mic can be mounted anywhere you like.
Of course I have an aux input that came with car, but how much can that cost to add?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

OK thanks for everyone's help I REALLY appreciate it ... does the NAV-TV Sirius unit come with better directions for the do it yourself instructions ?

I will order it but am not sure how to get the antenna installed in the front trunk area and when I do the install will the antenna work through the hood ?

I always thought you had to have a sirius antenna outside or at least by a window like the dashboard or the rear window so it can 'see' the sky.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Back when my then new 2006 C2S came in, I had my dealer order the Cayenne satellite kit. We installed it into my car so it would be on the PCM.

Now, the antenna is mounted under the wiper cover that looks like carbon fiber and replaces the original antenna.

Once installed, you need a PIWIS to enable it in PCM.

Anyway, worked OK you could say due to location of the antenna. New models have the antenna on the roofline so that would be best if possible.

Speaking of Howard, just got back from a Ba Ba Booey book signing. Shuli was there and interviewed me as to how long I was a fan.

Deanski
Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deanski
Back when my then new 2006 C2S came in, I had my dealer order the Cayenne satellite kit. We installed it into my car so it would be on the PCM.

Now, the antenna is mounted under the wiper cover that looks like carbon fiber and replaces the original antenna.

Once installed, you need a PIWIS to enable it in PCM.

Anyway, worked OK you could say due to location of the antenna. New models have the antenna on the roofline so that would be best if possible.

Speaking of Howard, just got back from a Ba Ba Booey book signing. Shuli was there and interviewed me as to how long I was a fan.

Deanski

That is really cool have you started reading the book yet ? I was thinking of getting it !!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM
LENELSA
Advanced

I bought an XM Dock kit for my iTouch.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AF330i
That is really cool have you started reading the book yet ? I was thinking of getting it !!
And here he is:

Check out those chompers!

Deanski
Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

LOL ... loving that picture ... Gary is great, I hope he is really successful with his book

I will probably pick it up this weekend !!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

thanks everyone ... I never knew the Nav-tv existed ... this board is great ... I ordered it tonight.

thanks again !!!! You all are great !!!

Quick Reply: Anyone have a solution for Sirius or XM without have it installed by a pro -thanks