Sponsored by:

Brembo makes OEM Porsche brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefEntertainmentOfficer
I guess rennlost is not the forum to go to for actual answers.
Better check with the bar buds again.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (10-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once a yr or so, Dr pcar has to take a swing by the forum......."just one more @#@$@% question before I buy the 2011 gt2rs"
Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Better check with the bar buds again.
Yep, I hear all the brakes look better at closing time.
The following users liked this post:
mafpolo (01-27-2020)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 PM
ChiefEntertainmentOfficer
Banned

Originally Posted by RonCT
What it looks like to me is you asked a question and it was immediately answered, along with several related opinions as to the capability of the calipers and rotors.
Were you cracking your knuckes as you leaned before your keypad, whispering "you know nothing kid" over and over as you wrote that?

Don't hurt em', Hammer!

Bunch of wannabe know it all car snobs here. No real substance here. No one could answer on how the rotors were different to regular Brembos. Peace! I'm better off getting my info from shops and trackers than a FORUM!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Were you cracking your knuckes as you leaned before your keypad, whispering "you know nothing kid" over and over as you wrote that?

Don't hurt em', Hammer!

Bunch of wannabe know it all car snobs here. No real substance here. No one could answer on how the rotors were different to regular Brembos. Peace! I'm better off getting my info from shops and trackers than a FORUM!
When you don't ask an intelligent question, you get the responses you deserve.

WHY DO YOU CARE? How it is different than regular Brembo? It's like saying how's the OEM tire different than BRIDGESTONE. Do you think there's only ONE BREMBO brake setup?!

People mod their Porsche brakes either for better performance on track, or for their rotors to last longer, and that ONLY comes after failure of brakes on track...

PS. We all helped you HOW to improve your braking IF that is lacking for whatever reason. You need to do the following in order:
(1) Fluid flush
(2) Pads upgrade (for track)
(3) Rotors upgrade (2-pieces)
(4) Moving to GT3 setup (IF you are still having issues).
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't hurt em', Hammer!

Not even sure what you are trying to say here.

You asked if OEM was Brembo, we immediately replied "Yes" along with more details. You then said you heard in a bar that the rotors were slightly inferior to "Brembo" rotors. We replied immediately about Rotors, other options (ie: Two-piece / floating), etc. Most of the replies were from guys like me that are regulars / instructors / racers on the track.

You call us "wannabe know it all car snobs" but if you read the responses again I think you'll realize people in the know went out of their way to be helpful.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:33 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

OP, chill for a sec!

Look over the postings again and see what people have written. Everybody has commented on how the OEM brakes are different from Brembo aftermarket kits.

Everyone also commented on how to improve the OEM brakes.

Sometimes the thread moves in another direction, it happens. No need to get pissed over it. You can simply ask a specific question again to get better and clearer answers but don't disrespect anyone for no reason...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Meh
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Gary_Cogis
Cruisin'

OEM Porsche calipers are in fact made by Brembo.
OEM Porsche discs are not.

OEM Brembo, and Brembo High Performance, are very different.
OEM development follows a different criteria for design, performance, longevity, cost, etc...

Porsche's are definitely known for having some of the best braking cars on the planet, in comparison to other road going cars. That doesn't mean that there's not significant room for improvement, and that's exactly what Brembo's High Performance division focuses their developed on.

That said, Your ultimate goals with your car should dictate the direction you want to go next....followed by your budget, and your expectations of what an aftermarket braking solution should provide/accomplish.

You can upgrade pads, brake fluid, and lines to make sure the OEM system is working to it's optimum capabilities.

You could upgrade to higher quality aftermarket Brembo 2pc. discs in order to save weight, improve temperature management, increase component quality, and overall longevity.

You could also consider an OEM transplant such as Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers and the larger 350mm discs.
Some have even gone the extra step and used the Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers WITH aftermarket Brembo 2pc. lightweight discs.

If you really want to spend some money and not look back, there's a handful of aftermarket brake kit options from Brembo that include their aftermarket monobloc calipers, their 2pc. discs, pads, lines, and hardware in a number of different combinations to cater to different types of expectations, usage, driving styles, and wheel fitments.

Brembo worked extensively with Porsche on the development of the OEM braking system (including the entire corner module...wheel carrier and uprights), so they already have a significant head start on where they can make practical and noticeable improvements that cater to performance enthusiast who have already exceeded the limits of the OEM braking system. IMHaEO*, the OEM brakes are quite good, and with minor upgrades like pads, fluid, lines,... and if necessary, their 2pc rotor kits,... will undoubtedly perform at a much higher level than most other companies aftermarket BBK options. And if you still feel that you are at a level that requires a complete system upgrade, Brembo's High Performance aftermarket systems are the only options I would trust to improve upon Brembo's OEM systems.

*In My Humble and Educated Opinion
Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please note that Gary Cogis is a salesperson for Race Technologies, the Brembo Performance Distributor in the US. He seems to have neglected to properly identify himself.

Last edited by Dan993; 11-13-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan993
Please note that Gary Cogis is a salesperson for Race Technologies, the Brembo Performance Distributor in the US. He seems to have neglected to properly identify himself. Again.
Maybe. But his post seems pretty balanced to me and not at all like a hard sales pitch. I found it helpful whatever mr Cogis' occupation may be.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Old 11-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Gary_Cogis
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dan993
Please note that Gary Cogis is a salesperson for Race Technologies, the Brembo Performance Distributor in the US. He seems to have neglected to properly identify himself.
Hey Dan,

I usually use the "signature" area on these forums to post my typical disclaimer for these types of forums...something along the lines of;

Gary_C - Enthusiast Extraordinaire -
While I do happen to work for Race Technologies, US Distributor for BREMBO Brakes, this is my personal account and the views and opinions expressed here are my own, and NOT that of Brembo or Race Technologies. The information I share is 100% factual to the best of my knowledge, and I will be the first to admit when I am wrong. We all have an opinion and I will try to only share mine when it is relevant to the conversation.

...either the "free" account doesn't allow you a signature, or I just can't find out where it would be at under "User CP".
Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Gary,

Welcome to Rennlist!

You are correct, the 'free" account does not allow sigs.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Gary_Cogis
Cruisin'

Thanks gota911,

Look who's got a signature now...

Quick Reply: Brembo makes OEM Porsche brakes?