Sponsored by:

I changed my battery!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I never did either, until I started using a battery maintainer--the battery in my 06 Club Coupe is still the original and is now more than 5 years old. It's been on a battery maintainer since day one. I hook it up after every drive.

Even if you drive it every day, what I've seen is that even after driving for more than 100 miles and returning home and hooking up the maintainer (the Porsche Ctek), the battery is not fully charged. The 996/997's have a fairly significant power drain, and the alternator doesn't have enough output to run all the onboard electronics and get the battery fully charged.

The battery maintainer keeps the battery safely fully charged and also helps prolong battery life. I've also noticed that the water level in the battery stays full too. In the past I always had to add water to batteries that were not kept on a maintainer.

Seriously, if your garage situation allows, invest in a Ctek 3300 (which is the non-Porsche branded equivalent of the Porsche dual mode maintainer) with cigarette lighter adapter, and use it aways. Takes a few seconds and will greatly increase your battery life.

Agree +1. The battery life will be significantly extended.

Mark
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Agree +1. The battery life will be significantly extended.

Mark
I noticed that according to my charger, my battery is never fully charged at the time of hook-up. I just concluded that the charger would never register "fully charged" or standby immediately after it is attached. How would we know if that short-fall (to being fully-charged) is what it seems or just a function of how the charger works?

Has anyone ever attached their CTEK or Porsche charger and had it go on standby immediately? I'm curious.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
I noticed that according to my charger, my battery is never fully charged at the time of hook-up. I just concluded that the charger would never register "fully charged" or standby immediately after it is attached. How would we know if that short-fall (to being fully-charged) is what it seems or just a function of how the charger works?

Has anyone ever attached their CTEK or Porsche charger and had it go on standby immediately? I'm curious.
You can have a green light, unplug the charger and plug right back in and the red charging lights shows up.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I believe that it is a normal cycle for the charger to show it is charging. However, it should cycle off fairly quickly if the battery is fully charged.

Mark
Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Domer911

Rarely ever. I had a Porsche one on my 2007 for 3 years and it seemed to always charge for a bit, even after a multi hour drive. Amazon has great deals on the Cteks. Less than half of what the dealer charges for the Porsche one.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I just put my car away for the winter last weekend and was surprised that the battery maintainer light was on for three days! I figured the battery must be toast. The light did go off, though. After that, I opened one of the doors briefly ( one second) and closed. Of course the interior light went on for a few minutes. The maintainer light stayed on for almost one hour. I guesss I am OK but as the car is three years old, I am sure I am looking at a new battery next year. In the past, the maintainer light only stayed on for about one hour.

I never did use the maintainer between weekend drives ( only for winter storage) but now I plan to use the maintainer all of the time ( between weekends). I learned a lot from this thread.

Quick Reply: I changed my battery!