Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I changed my battery!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Just buy an OEM Ctek battery maintainer for $120 and take the risk out of it. I used it and it worked perfectly.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:50 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Just looking for a simple answer to a very simple question. I already have 2 perfectly good chargers. My car is a daily driver so I don't have a need for a battery maintainer. Just trying to find out if the charger will work OK.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

That is understandable.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:48 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob (CT)
Enduro963: Any issues with installing/aligning the new battery in the existing housing? Please let me know what I should expect with the installation. My 997 just turned four years old and I'm looking to replace the battery before it craps out. Thanks.
Yes Bob, like Brennan wrote, no issues and exact size match. Change it!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:05 PM
SevenCostanza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to add that I changed the battery in my '06 C2S cab this morning. I too went the Wal-Mart route. Easy, easy job. My battery was completely dead, so I wasn't concerned about running juice while I took the other out (I couldn't even jump the old one.) When I fired it up, I had a PASM error message, it went away after a second and everything is working fine. I don't think anyone should be worried about screwing anything up by changing out the battery.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:19 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious about one thing. My first Porsche is on order for Jan. delivery, so excuse my ignorance.

I've owned several AMG cars and all have adaptive controllers on the transmission. That is, the car learns your driving patterns and adapts to match. If you disconnect the power the car starts from scratch and learns all over again.

Note that this is not a bad thing; many AMG folks actually learn the sequence to erase the memory by heart, as the car can get "lazy" if you've done a lot of mellow driving.

Does the Porsche have any of these "features" that are lost when power is disconnected? How about all of the custom settings, especially on cars with Sport Chrono? Are those settings lost or retained when the battery is disconnected?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:39 PM
SevenCostanza
Advanced

Originally Posted by brt3
I am curious about one thing. My first Porsche is on order for Jan. delivery, so excuse my ignorance.

I've owned several AMG cars and all have adaptive controllers on the transmission. That is, the car learns your driving patterns and adapts to match. If you disconnect the power the car starts from scratch and learns all over again.

Note that this is not a bad thing; many AMG folks actually learn the sequence to erase the memory by heart, as the car can get "lazy" if you've done a lot of mellow driving.

Does the Porsche have any of these "features" that are lost when power is disconnected? How about all of the custom settings, especially on cars with Sport Chrono? Are those settings lost or retained when the battery is disconnected?
I can't speak to any of the Sport Chrono functions, as my car doesn't have it. But my radio presets, clock, and seat memory functions were unaffected by taking the battery out. I doubt anything else would be affected by disconnecting the battery if none of these functions were reset.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SevenCostanza
I can't speak to any of the Sport Chrono functions, as my car doesn't have it. But my radio presets, clock, and seat memory functions were unaffected by taking the battery out. I doubt anything else would be affected by disconnecting the battery if none of these functions were reset.

Agreed, I had battery problems with my 997S. Must have disconnected and reconnected four or five times (trouble shooting replacement battery, loaner battery, original battery all by dealer service warranty). They did it in my presence right in the parking lot: NO PROBLEMS. Once the PSM needed to be reset and that was accomplished by driving in reverse for a few feet.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

To make things easier, every time a battery make sure that a battery maintainer is connected to the cigarette lighter and on. No issues.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

PDK does not learn over time, it adapts in real time. If you didn't order PDK, as long you don't shock yourself fooling with the battery and forget how to shift, no worries.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
To make things easier, every time a battery make sure that a battery maintainer is connected to the cigarette lighter and on. No issues.
Excellent idea. Why ASK for trouble.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:02 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

FWIW, I've never gotten more than @ 3 yrs out of a battery, living here in CA, I don't care how long they are rated for. I've pretty much had mine die at the 36 mo mark like clockwork. Anybody who gets more usage than that is doing real good, imho.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:10 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
FWIW, I've never gotten more than @ 3 yrs out of a battery, living here in CA, I don't care how long they are rated for. I've pretty much had mine die at the 36 mo mark like clockwork. Anybody who gets more usage than that is doing real good, imho.
Yup. +1 They changed them. Like Bic ball point pens used to last for decades, remember? They've since changed the ink formula and now they dry up in less than a year.

One thing's for sure these days, you deeply discharge your starter battery ONCE and you've basically ruined it.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

The computer at Walmart told me that I needed a Maxx-48 instead of the 94R. Is there any reason why I cannot use the Maxx-48 or must I replace with the 94 R. The Maxx-48 has 850 CCA and fits in the tray.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
The computer at Walmart told me that I needed a Maxx-48 instead of the 94R. Is there any reason why I cannot use the Maxx-48 or must I replace with the 94 R. The Maxx-48 has 850 CCA and fits in the tray.
IMO? When in doubt get the one of the same TYPE that fits exactly the same as the old. Seriously. Not a big deal. There are only a few battery mfgrs in THE ENTIRE WORLD but hundreds (?) of different labels. If it's the same type and exactly the same size like the old one - and it's a starter battery for a car: it'll be fine. I had huge problems with deep cycle batteries for my boat. After much messing around deciphering WTF was going on it turned out the deep cycle ones (i.e. same type) that fit exactly like the old ones were the one's to get. Hard to explain: Sorry. IOW, the exact same size and type are all that we probably need for these cars. MAIN POINT: All the "specs" that come with "different" or "the same" batteries are probably messed up. Go by size (and type) if you have to. IMO of course.

Quick Reply: I changed my battery!