Sponsored by:

I changed my battery!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:59 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I changed my battery!

Well after reading several posts, I wrote down which 3rd party batteries you guys recommended. I tried buying an Interstate but the dealer did not have it and was about to close. Headed over to Walmart and even though the service department was closed, the batteries were still available for purchase on the store side. Paid $77+$9+$4 dollars for the Everstart Maxx. Cheap!

The old Moll was not dead yet, but what a difference with the new battery! The ignition sounds sooooo much alive now! Do NOT hesitate to invest in this after 3 years!

Oh, and by the way, I was worried about the weight issue, having read that a battery with more CCA´s would be heavier. Not so!

Here are the pics:
Old 10-24-2010, 02:02 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Old 10-24-2010, 02:49 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enduro
Looks like possibly one end cell shorted > overheated > resulting in acid spill
Did you wash or neutralise the spill in the battery tray ?
Did the new battery weigh the same as the Moll ?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

It's always a good idea to clean up the tray while you have the battery out. Neutralize things, and even wax it a bit to protect it. Did it spit out codes? Self clear? Mine did.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:57 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's always a good idea to clean up the tray while you have the battery out. Neutralize things, and even wax it a bit to protect it. Did it spit out codes? Self clear? Mine did.
Not sure I understand? Could you explain the "spit out codes" thing?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:24 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you disconnect the battery w/o using an external power source the electronics have to reset. You will get error codes that hopefully are reset by driving the car. This months Excellence makes a big deal of that and advises you not do it!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bijan
Enduro
Looks like possibly one end cell shorted > overheated > resulting in acid spill
Did you wash or neutralise the spill in the battery tray ?
Did the new battery weigh the same as the Moll ?
Bijan, I was not aware of this! How do you know? I just dusted the tray. Both batteries weigh 20 kilos.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Not sure I understand? Could you explain the "spit out codes" thing?
He means that you get several warning lights on the instruments.

Edgy: I got them and they cleared by themselves as soon as I moved the car. No problems with windows.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
If you disconnect the battery w/o using an external power source the electronics have to reset. You will get error codes that hopefully are reset by driving the car. This months Excellence makes a big deal of that and advises you not do it!

Exactly. Tech Forum - Porsche electrical systems, Part 2 - By Tony Callas and Tom Prine specifically warns of several issues in modern Porsches, especially 997-x.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:13 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpjli2
What's the best way to apply external power? I've seen kits that allow you connect to the cigarette lighter; these use a 9V battery to maintain the cars electronics for the few minutes it takes to change a battery. Do these work on the 997?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brt3
What's the best way to apply external power? I've seen kits that allow you connect to the cigarette lighter; these use a 9V battery to maintain the cars electronics for the few minutes it takes to change a battery. Do these work on the 997?
When I change a battery I connect a Battery Tender, through the cigarette lighter prior to disconnecting the battery. My battery maintainer (Battery Tender) does not shut-off (a concern raised in the article) when the battery is removed and the car's electronics are always powered and no data is lost.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
When I change a battery I connect a Battery Tender, through the cigarette lighter prior to disconnecting the battery. My battery maintainer (Battery Tender) does not shut-off (a concern raised in the article) when the battery is removed and the car's electronics are always powered and no data is lost.
Will this work with my Porsche Dual Mode Battery Charger?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by enduro963
Will this work with my Porsche Dual Mode Battery Charger?
I have one of those too but I do not know as I have not had a need to change a battery since I got that. I know that the Battery Tender does that job well.

You can contact CTek and ask them if the unit remains on providing a steady voltage, when the battery is disconnected. Another way is to plug the Porsche maintainer to the wall, set it on a normal charging mode and measure with a voltmeter the voltage across its cigarette lighter connector - it should be 12+V. To be thorough, get a 120 ohm, 2W resistor (or something close), connect it across the terminals and measure the voltage and see if it holds.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:40 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

How much was OEM battery that you went for 3rd party? and what's the capacity differences between the two (crank amps, cold crank amps, etc)?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

The codes produced by my own battery changeout last year self cleared within a few minutes. Glad you had a "non-event!"

Quick Reply: I changed my battery!