Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I changed my battery!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just replaced my factory original today, which was going on its 5th year. I kept the Porsche Battery Maintainer connected while swapping out the Moll with the Maxx-94R. Interestingly enough, even though I didn't lose any presets, I still got the PSM failure message plus I had to re-train the windows. I knew something was up when the frunk light went out as I disconnected the battery. Another weird thing was when I backed out of the garage to clear the PSM error message, there was a trail of clear liquid on the ground. Since the drip was coming from the front of the vehicle, could it have been the battery fluid being vented out through the tube?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
So I just replaced my factory original today, which was going on its 5th year. I kept the Porsche Battery Maintainer connected while swapping out the Moll with the Maxx-94R. Interestingly enough, even though I didn't lose any presets, I still got the PSM failure message plus I had to re-train the windows. I knew something was up when the frunk light went out as I disconnected the battery. Another weird thing was when I backed out of the garage to clear the PSM error message, there was a trail of clear liquid on the ground. Since the drip was coming from the front of the vehicle, could it have been the battery fluid being vented out through the tube?
Or condensation from the A/C - it is still humid there, right?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Or condensation from the A/C - it is still humid there, right?
Oops, I should've clarified earlier that it wasn't condensation as I didn't have the A/C on. You're right, though, about it being humid here still.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Battery fluid is a very corrosive sulphuric acid, AFIK the tube is intended to vent explosive gases such as hydrogen and should not vent any fluids normally.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

thanks for posting this
Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Check all the drains around the battery compartment. You can still see them with the new battery in place. My guess is one of the drains was partially blocked and got cleared after you were mucking around the battery compartment.

Originally Posted by Ucube
Another weird thing was when I backed out of the garage to clear the PSM error message, there was a trail of clear liquid on the ground. Since the drip was coming from the front of the vehicle, could it have been the battery fluid being vented out through the tube?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:43 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro963
Well after reading several posts,
is your car Nordic Gold?
is it a Targa?

I have not seen another non-Targa / non Cab Carerra in Nordic Gold.

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for a Maxx 94r replacement. I changed mine out this weekend. I did not use the trickle charger in the cig lighter method. Just pulled the old battery out and dropped in the new one. My old battery was an interstate with a rear vent. The maxx 94r is a bit wider and stronger (910CCA vs the 700CCA on the interstate). I had to fabricate a vent tube joiner to accommodate the side vented maxx 94r battery.

I had to retrain the windows, and did get a PSM failure warning, but the warning cleared as soon as I rolled the car out of the garage 15 feet.

It is a really strong battery compared to my old one. It makes a huge difference starting up the car on cold mornings. Today was 9 degrees in MD when I fired up the car.

Last edited by TerpsRED; 01-24-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:00 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

I put in a Maxx 94R as my factory battery would no longer hold a charge. Perfect fitment, though it looks like Wally Mart raised the price to $82 now
Old 04-16-2011, 05:26 PM
wbellinz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was just in walmart and their battery catalog said the 997.1 uses a 49r. I know walmart switched from exide to jci as their supplier. Is the 94r an industry standard sizing or just a part number? I didn't even see a 94r battery in their stock. I'm now confused ad to which size I'd correct. Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wbellinz
I was just in walmart and their battery catalog said the 997.1 uses a 49r. I know walmart switched from exide to jci as their supplier. Is the 94r an industry standard sizing or just a part number? I didn't even see a 94r battery in their stock. I'm now confused ad to which size I'd correct. Thanks
Their book is wrong - get the MAXX 94R
Old 04-16-2011, 11:12 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I don't understand why it's important to disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals in a particular order to avoid frying the electronics.

The only reason I can see for disconnecting the negative first is just in case you short the postive to the car body whilst undoing it. Similarly when reconnecting the battery connect the positive first so that you can't short it to the body as the negative isn't connected yet.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I don't understand why it's important to disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals in a particular order to avoid frying the electronics.

The only reason I can see for disconnecting the negative first is just in case you short the postive to the car body whilst undoing it. Similarly when reconnecting the battery connect the positive first so that you can't short it to the body as the negative isn't connected yet.
You answered your own statement.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:36 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Okay so it's in case you screw up rather than a necessity
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM
mitchelld996
1st Gear

Followed recommendation of others and bought the MAXX 94R at Walmart. Price in Torrance, CA was $120 with tax.

On my 2007 997S Cab I have never used a battery tender or charger since the car is a daily driver. During the battery change I used one of those 9V battery things that plugs into the lighter. I disconnected the vent tube and removed the original battery (negative first, positive second). Wiped the pan with a damp towel to clean up a little dust and dirt. New batter installed without issue since it's exactly the same size as the original. Also, the new battery has vent provision on either side; I simply plugged the original vent into the hole adjacent to the negative terminal as original and used the plug provided with the new battery to plug the hole adjacent to the positive terminal.

She started right up and after a couple seconds I saw warning lights for PASM and PSM failure. Started to back up the car to go for a test drive and the warning lights were cleared before I had backed up one car length.

Radio, seat memory, heated seats, etc were all functioning after the change. I had to cycle the windows up and down to get the one-touch up/down function to work correctly.

All in all, very easy and worth doing yourself to save money and time over a trip to the dealer.

Note: My original battery was 5 yrs, 1 month old and it was still working without issue. However, I replaced it proactively to avoid any unexpected surprise some morning. Five years is a good life so I don't feel I wasted money replacing it.

Mitch D

Quick Reply: I changed my battery!