I changed my battery!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by enduro963
Will this work with my Porsche Dual Mode Battery Charger?
I just changed my battery this morning. I connected my Ctek Porsche Dual Mode Battery charger to the lighter socket before starting.
I bought a Sears Die Hard Gold R94 for 139 dollars. I disconnected the battery as the manual stated on page 296: Black disconnected first then Red Second. When you put it back on connect the Red first then the Black. While the battery was out, the front boot light stayed on which was a good thing to see. I connected up the new battery and I saw no faults on the instrument cluster. I did notice that when I opened and closed the passenger door the glass did not automatically close the 5mm gap. It however worked on the driver's side. I went out for a ride back to Sears to recycle the old battery and by the time I got there (20 min) the passenger glass worked perfectly. I guess it reset itself thankfully. I changed the battery due to a few hard starts on cold mornings. The battery is the original, 3 1/2 years old. Winter coming here in Nude Hampster so I wanted to play it safe. This forum is giving me the confidence to do DIY stuff. I would not have done this a few years ago.
Thanks to all.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I just changed my battery this morning. I connected my Ctek Porsche Dual Mode Battery charger to the lighter socket before starting.
I bought a Sears Die Hard Gold R94 for 139 dollars. I disconnected the battery as the manual stated on page 296: Black disconnected first then Red Second. When you put it back on connect the Red first then the Black. While the battery was out, the front boot light stayed on which was a good thing to see. I connected up the new battery and I saw no faults on the instrument cluster. I did notice that when I opened and closed the passenger door the glass did not automatically close the 5mm gap. It however worked on the driver's side. I went out for a ride back to Sears to recycle the old battery and by the time I got there (20 min) the passenger glass worked perfectly. I guess it reset itself thankfully. I changed the battery due to a few hard starts on cold mornings. The battery is the original, 3 1/2 years old. Winter coming here in Nude Hampster so I wanted to play it safe. This forum is giving me the confidence to do DIY stuff. I would not have done this a few years ago.
Thanks to all.

Great! Good to know that the Porsche Dual maintainer does not shut-off during battery changes.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you connect a standard charger to the terminal in the fuse box while you make the change? My battery is coming up on 3 years old so I will probably have to deal with it in the next year.

BTW I had a slow cranking issue early on ('08 C2S) and it turned out to be a wiring harness issue. The dealer said it waas a known issue. Warrantied.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LeNoah
BTW I had a slow cranking issue early on ('08 C2S) and it turned out to be a wiring harness issue. The dealer said it waas a known issue. Warrantied.
How often did you experience the hard start? It has happened to me only a few times. If it happens now I guess I should bring it in and have the dealer look at the wire harness. Do you know what the problem was with the harness?
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enduro963: Any issues with installing/aligning the new battery in the existing housing? Please let me know what I should expect with the installation. My 997 just turned four years old and I'm looking to replace the battery before it craps out. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob (CT)
Enduro963: Any issues with installing/aligning the new battery in the existing housing? Please let me know what I should expect with the installation. My 997 just turned four years old and I'm looking to replace the battery before it craps out. Thanks.
The dimensions of his replacement are an exact match so no issues with tray or hold down clamp.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Not sure exactly what the harness problem was. It acted like a dying battery when the car was hot. Got to the point where I tried to park on a hill in case I needed to jump start. Took it to my battery shop and they said battery is fine. Took it to the dealer and they said "Oh yeah, known problem". Something about a heat shield on the alternator wiring harness (or something like that).

Still want to know if I can use a charger to keep codes alive during a battery change?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LeNoah

Still want to know if I can use a charger to keep codes alive during a battery change?
As stated in this thread both the Porsche maintained and Deltran's Battery Tender do that just fine.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about this: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...:referralID=NA
Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brt3
People do that, but 9V < 12V.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob (CT)
Bob
I just replaced my battery with a Die Hard Gold from Sears. It fit perfectly in the slot. I put the edge facing away from me in first then set the front of the battery down. Then slide the battery all the way to the right as you look at the front end . The metal flange that holds the battery down fit perfectly back on holding the new battery. You also have to re hook up the vent hose on the left side of the battery and plug the other vent hose hole up on the right side of the battery with a plug that comes with the new battery. I am not a DIY guy at all and I did not wreck anything as far as I know. Good luck it is pretty easy.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worth mentioning that to minimise the chance of zapping the electronics:
Negative cable off first, on last.
Also for jump starting, frunk opening it is covered in the instruction manual.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:08 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bijan
Worth mentioning that to minimise the chance of zapping the electronics:
Negative cable off first, on last.
Agreed. I said that(Neg terminal off first on last) in my initial post #16. This last post was adding additional information to my first post on the subject.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 AM
LeNoah
Instructor

I know the battery maintainers work. What I want to know is if it is OK to use a standard battery charger or will that fry or damage something???
Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

^ test those as I suggested above, using a voltmeter and a 100 ohm 2W resistor.

Quick Reply: I changed my battery!