Sponsored by:

more help from dark colored car owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 AM
cs pilot
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default more help from dark colored car owners

previously i asked for some recommendations on getting that glassy look in my black paint. many of you guys suggested zaino.
i have tried using zaino a couple time with the zaino applicator pad, but i just havent gotten that glassy look.
is there something you guys use in conjunction with the zaino? recommended waxes?
cheers!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to Zaino's simplified overview of their product line:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...Code=YOUCHOOSE

I've used these products since getting my 06 C2S 4.5 years ago and consistently get outstanding results.

I find Z-5 works much better than the Z-2 on our black paint surfaces. I apply a coat of Z-5 every month or so. I follow up every polish application with Z-6 spray detailer to even out any polish residue and make the shine really pop.

I use the Z-CS spray clear seal once every 2 or 3 months after a coat of Z-5 and follow that up with the Z-8 detailer.

The best advice I can give on using Zaino products is that less is more. Call Sal Zaino in Jersey if you are still having problems and they will be glad to help.

Last edited by Frino; 10-21-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh! You mean 'owners of dark colored cars'...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:05 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Had black vehicles and now a meteor grey C4S...I've been using a product called "Rejex " (sp?) as well as a waterless cleaner/detailer named "Envy".
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Best way to achieve a deep "pool of oil" look on black paint is a combination of proper polishing and a high end carnauba like P21S or Pinnacle Souveran IMHO.

Zaino is a great product but it leaves a plasticky appearance that looks more like saran wrap. Looks really good on certain colors only.

Do you have any pictues you can post?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Is Tough

Years ago I had a black Acura. It only looked good for a couple of days after I compounded it and waxed it. Than it was back to looking the way it did before.

I dont there is a solution if you drive your car every day as its exposed to the elements. I think these products are good but black just picks up everything and the swirls and what not just show up eventually after being outside.

I wont buy a black car ever again for this very reason.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

You have two choices depending on the degree of your lack of gloss.

Polish it with a power buffer, or fill it with a wax/sealant that 'hides' swirls/defects in the paint.

Properly polished and sealed paint will stay that way until 're-damaged'. A filled finish will evaporate/wash away within two weeks at the most. On a daily driver, trying to maintain a defect-free finish is like chasing your tail.

The wash technique is most likely the cause of the lack of gloss.

Go to Autopia.org and read all about the various products,machines and techniques.

BD
Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the griot's garage stuff. I use a random orbital and their best of show wax. It really puts a good shine on it. If their are any swirls or scratches, some of their #3 fine machine polish or #4 extra fine machine polish with the random orbital before the waxing works wonders.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 PM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

phil at detailersdomain.com has been great.

i've been using 1Z Products and Menzerna. A good clay, polish, and topcoat of a sealant or wax looks great. I used Menzerna's Powerlock on my 911 and it looks great.

from the bmw and audi forums, it gets the same reviews.

good luck!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The subject line reminded me of a day in San Francisco inside a major hotel in 1976 in which a sign said,
"Black Porsche Owners Club." I thought, wow, what an exclusive club! You have to have a black car to be a member!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:40 PM
ricster
Banned

Black looks best on the showroom, after that, looks like crap if you dont keep it washed and waxed and tucked away in your garage
Old 10-23-2010, 05:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Black's just DAMN difficult to maintian, period! When taken care of, looks fantastic, if not, looks like crap. I got a Meteor Gray which I find has a GREAT balance between glossy/dark look vs. maintenance.

On my past cars, I got the BEST RESULT with P21S, BUT, that was only if you Clay bared, polished, and then applied wax. I'd say at least for the once take it to as good of a detailed you can find locally, get em to bring the shine back, then you can apply P21S whenever needed.

Quick Reply: more help from dark colored car owners