Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best tires for wet conditions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the size info. Bad Tire Rack, BAD!

Originally Posted by utkinpol
kumho xs are horrible in wet. yokos are also not fun, at last DE gu next to me had to take them off and put back toyo r888 and they were better than yokos on standing water.
so, I am still not sure what to do.
Like in dry, the tires with a grippier compound at the operating temperature will have better grip in the wet, so long as the tread is sufficient to get water out of the way and allow the tread to grip the asphalt. The XS (and R-S3) need more heat in them than the AD08 and RE-11, and the wet sucks the heat out of them, so they don't reach their operating temperature and don't offer good grip. The r888 are a grippier compound than the others (they're a different class of tire) so do better in the wet.

While I haven't tried the R-S3 myself, utkinpol, a friend has. He and I compared notes - nearly identically configured cars, identical conditions, etc., etc. and the R-S3 are very similar to the XS - they need heat to grip well, which means they'll be great in the dry, but not so great in the wet. Also, these aren't R-compounds.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PS2 is definitely better in rain, but not as good a dry tire as the R888 or Sport Cups.

Personally, I run R6s in dry or damp and Hoosier Wets in real rain. Before trailering my car I used Sport Cups for both dry and rain, many others use R888s for both.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The few times I've driven in the rain, I was amazed with the PS2's in the rain when driving The Tail of the Dragon a couple years ago.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R888's in the dry is like driving on roller skates! I would not waste my money to burn them in my front yard!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
The R888's in the dry is like driving on roller skates! I would not waste my money to burn them in my front yard!
That's the most inaccurate statement I've ever heard! Complete BS!

Goto Nurburgring and see which tire is used to track the ring IN DRY!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That might be your opinion... MY STATEMENT is based on experience! Was loaned a set for my Endouro race at the CLASH and spent more time sliding all over the place then I did going forward.

Maybe you do not drive fast enough to get them HOT!

Quick Reply: best tires for wet conditions