Sponsored by:

Pandora/Internet Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:09 PM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pandora/Internet Radio

I want to be able to play Pandora in my 997.2 with iPod adaptor, but I have a problem. I've long been a Blackberry guy with a carrier that is not AT&T. An easy way to get Pandora in my car would be to switch to AT&T and get an iPhone, but that presents two problems. First, their coverage is not as strong in my area as Verizon and Sprint. Second, since I would be a new customer, I would be limited in the amount of bandwidth I could use, making it difficult to stream music.

My question is, are any of the Droid phones able to be used with any of the adaptors in my 997? Any ideas? I tried to use my iPad which has unlimited bandwidth, but it is not compatible with the iPod adaptor in my car.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The iPhone will likely be on Verizon during Q1 2011. Can you wait four months?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah..verizon getting it 1st qtr 2011
Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 PM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
Cool, didn't know that.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Internet radio (Pandora) is very flaky except in a few limited urban areas with exceptional coverage. I have little patience for the very flaky cell performance everywhere (here in the US or in Europe for that matter). Cell signal drop-outs is a constant way of life.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbonds
That's just a rumor
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Internet radio (Pandora) is very flaky except in a few limited urban areas with exceptional coverage. I have little patience for the very flaky cell performance everywhere (here in the US or in Europe for that matter). Cell signal drop-outs is a constant way of life.
not only that, when you have even a decent 3g connection the stream quality is pretty bad. I think it's only a 64kbs stream thats thin and phasing all over the place.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:03 AM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a problem listening to Pandora on ATT 3G iPhone, but I don't live in a large metropolitan area where the ATT network is known to have issues.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:17 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Steaming Pandora over iPhone audio with blue tooth is the coolest thing about my wife's Mazda3. Decent Bose sound. Great variety. She loves it. Makes you know why Sirius/XM is trading for $1.30.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I won't try to interpret exactly what is meant by "a very few limited urban areas with exceptional coverage". Maybe my route qualifies for your definition. I will just say that we've taken two recent trips from Sonoma County, about 60 miles north of San Francisco, to Monterey and listened to Pandora the entire way. Honestly, perfect reception without a single drop-out. I was surprised myself, but pleased and impressed.

Not only that, I have the high quality Pandora One service ($36/yr) which broadcasts at 192kbps and is supposedly more prone to issues with bad reception, high traffic etc. But even in high quality mode I've had no problems at all, either on those trips or listening around town.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I won't try to interpret exactly what is meant by "a very few limited urban areas with exceptional coverage". Maybe my route qualifies for your definition. I will just say that we've taken two recent trips from Sonoma County, about 60 miles north of San Francisco, to Monterey and listened to Pandora the entire way. Honestly, perfect reception without a single drop-out. I was surprised myself, but pleased and impressed.

Not only that, I have the high quality Pandora One service ($36/yr) which broadcasts at 192kbps and is supposedly more prone to issues with bad reception, high traffic etc. But even in high quality mode I've had no problems at all, either on those trips or listening around town.
Impressive indeed. Was that 101? 101 in that section is probably densely illuminated by cell towers.

But let's try some back roads...

FYI... Pandora One (Premium Service) does not offer 192kb/s through mobile apps at this time.

Last edited by ADias; 10-17-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Impressive indeed. Was that 101? 101 in that section is probably densely illuminated by cell towers.

But let's try some back roads...

FYI... Pandora One (Premium Service) does not offer 192kb/s through mobile apps at this time.
I actually live in a fairly rural area of Sonoma County and have not had a problem even there, but once we get to the main corridor our route does takes us to Monterey via 101 and 580-880, cutting over at 156 to Hwy 1. Not denying that cell service is generally better here than it would be in the boonies, but still I was impressed.

Interesting about the 192kbps service for mobil apps. The Pandora settings area on my iPhone has a Cell Network Audio Quality toggle that allows you to switch between higher and lower quality audio. I assumed the higher quality was the 192kbps. If it's not, at least it sounds very good; better reception than FM for sure.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Adam Conrad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an htc evo on sprint and I use pandora on my android phone through the bluetooth on my dension unit on my 997.1 and I am thoroughly happy with it
I drive from Altoona PA to Pittsburgh on some of the worst cell reception areas and it keeps on playing
I would pursue this, it is worth it!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:10 PM
linklaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam, do you play the pandora through a Dension ipod adapter or blue tooth phone adapter? I have a Dension ipod adapter and Navtv bluetooth in my 997.1 and wondered if I could play Pandora through on or both of them as well. John
Old 10-17-2010, 01:29 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by murox
I want to be able to play Pandora in my 997.2 with iPod adaptor, but I have a problem. I've long been a Blackberry guy with a carrier that is not AT&T. An easy way to get Pandora in my car would be to switch to AT&T and get an iPhone, but that presents two problems. First, their coverage is not as strong in my area as Verizon and Sprint. Second, since I would be a new customer, I would be limited in the amount of bandwidth I could use, making it difficult to stream music.

My question is, are any of the Droid phones able to be used with any of the adaptors in my 997? Any ideas? I tried to use my iPad which has unlimited bandwidth, but it is not compatible with the iPod adaptor in my car.

Thanks for any help.
Can't you just use the AUX input with a headphone jack style cable?

Quick Reply: Pandora/Internet Radio