Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche considering F1 return...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porsche considering F1 return...

From various sources ... Porsche is considering a return to F1.

I'd love to see that, recalling the old Porsche McLaren days from the 80's and being an F1 fan and seeing the sport getting a bit silly now (with some really boring tracks coming online (Bharain, China) and the old, beautiful and challenging tracks constantly being pressured out of participation (Suzuka and Fuji being the current two, the older Hockenheim lap through the forest being another, don't get me started on the Nordschleife).

So as F1 degenerates into nothing but hype and marketing around the event rather than beautiful racetracks like Spa, Suzuka, Monza, maybe having Porsche come back will make it interesting for me to keep watching.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
So as F1 degenerates into nothing but hype and marketing around the event rather than beautiful racetracks like Spa, Suzuka, Monza, maybe having Porsche come back will make it interesting for me to keep watching.
I do follow F1 closely and I agree that it's a circus with little bearing on production car development (others on this forum, I know disagree, but I digress). Thus Porsche's motorsports efforts should be front-and-center in endurance races and not F1.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would agree that endurance races are more in the wheelhouse for what production car drives want in terms of attributes, its still racing with specialized race cars, though some technology does filter down.
The biggest problem with those endurance races is they are just very viewer unfriendly. You have to be a racing junkie to really enjoy and follow that style of racing. You don't get flag-to-flag coverage, its really hard for the casual viewer to follow whats going on with several classes of races running on the track at the same time. I've tried to follow won every now and then and give up.

There is something nice about a self-contained race.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Minok
I would agree that endurance races are more in the wheelhouse for what production car drives want in terms of attributes, its still racing with specialized race cars, though some technology does filter down.
The biggest problem with those endurance races is they are just very viewer unfriendly. You have to be a racing junkie to really enjoy and follow that style of racing. You don't get flag-to-flag coverage, its really hard for the casual viewer to follow whats going on with several classes of races running on the track at the same time. I've tried to follow won every now and then and give up.

There is something nice about a self-contained race.
That's what a DVR/TiVo with quick FR/FF is for.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a marketing perspective Porsche probably wants to showcase its leadership in hybrid performance technologies. Since F1 now requires electric motors, advanced battery technology, special energy harvesting brakes, porsche wants to showcase its prowess in that department if Porsche indeed believes they have the edge.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

FYI... 2 articles on PAG's F1 past inroads in the Oct issue of Panorama... does PCA know something?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by malammik
From a marketing perspective Porsche probably wants to showcase its leadership in hybrid performance technologies. Since F1 now requires electric motors, advanced battery technology, special energy harvesting brakes, porsche wants to showcase its prowess in that department if Porsche indeed believes they have the edge.
F1 has done away with KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems); it has not been allowed since last year. It was expensive and not all teams were able to afford it or wanted to run it anyway.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I'd like to see Porsche back in F1, I think they're better off keeping out of it. Even the biggest budgets are no guarantee of success in F1, and Porsche runs the risk of underperforming and underwhelming. I'd love to see Porsche compete at this level, it is still the pinnacle of motorsport, but the humiliating exit of BMW after a dismal run in F1 should be enough to remind Porsche that it's probably best to stay away...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
F1 has done away with KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems); it has not been allowed since last year. It was expensive and not all teams were able to afford it or wanted to run it anyway.
KERS is coming back next year.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Actually F1 racing is AWESOME if it goes back to how it used to be run, the era of Senna, Prost, Mansell, etc... on racetracks that people CARED ABOUT RACING, instead of the watered down version of today for Bernie Eccelstone to make money off new countries who are willing to BUY their way into the sport without any heritage. Every year he's trying to squeeze more money out of the olders tracks, threatening to cancel Silverstone, Spa, etc... it really makes me sick. I hope he just either quit or retire and hand it over to someone who actually CARES ABOUT THE SPORT!

Still, it's by far the best racing series in the world and Porsche involvement would be great, albeit, they won't really succeed unless they partnered up with an already good team.

@ Tony, I think we debated HOW MUCH technology trickled down from F1 and let's agree to disagree on that!

Last edited by alexb76; 10-20-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
Actually F1 racing is AWESOME if it goes back to how it used to be run, the era of Senna, Prost, Mansell, etc... on racetracks that people CARED ABOUT RACING, instead of the watered down version of today for Bernie Eccelstone to make money off new countries who are willing to BUY their way into the sport without any heritage. Every year he's trying to squeeze more money out of the olders tracks, threatening to cancel Silverstone, Spa, etc... it really makes me sick. I hope he just either drops dead or retire and hand it over to someone who actually CARES ABOUT THE SPORT!

Still, it's by far the best racing series in the world and Porsche involvement would be great, albeit, they won't really succeed unless they partnered up with an already good team.

@ Tony, I think we debated HOW MUCH technology trickled down from F1 and let's agree to disagree on that!

I just can't agree on a Bernie Ecclestone death wish. Totally uncalled for.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I just can't agree on a Bernie Ecclestone death wish. Totally uncalled for.
Just kidding! I hope he just gets out and retires already!

BTW, the latest is that Audi will be the brand in F1, and Porsche will focus on LeMans!

http://www.mibz.com/24100-volkswagen...formula-1.html

Currently, Porsche competes in LMP2 class in the famous endurance competition, Le Mans, while Audi competes in the queen class, LMP1, and this is view as inopportune by Mueller, give that both constructors are part of theVolkswagen Group. Now, rumor has it that Audi will enter Formula 1.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Kuhan
Racer

If there's a VAG brand that would benefit from F1 success, it's Lamborghini. If a Lambo is trouncing the Fezzas on the race track, more people will buy them.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kuhan
If there's a VAG brand that would benefit from F1 success, it's Lamborghini. If a Lambo is trouncing the Fezzas on the race track, more people will buy them.
Interesting idea. If VAG wants to enter F1, I hope any VAG brand other than Porsche carries the flag. At the end of the day Porsche will be involved through Weissach.

Let's recall that PAG is a consulting engineering firm (Weissach) first and foremost; they just make cars on the side. Weissach is deeply involved in R&D for VAG and many other manufacturers. If VAG enters F1, Weissach will design it but PAG will not risk not being #1 in F1.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Racing brands will be Audi and Porsche, no other VAG brand. They're still deciding which brand will compete in Le Mans and which one in F1.

PS. I heard there's gonna be a Lambo car (not sure if factory sponsored) racing in GT category in American LeMans!

Quick Reply: Porsche considering F1 return...