Sponsored by:

Porsche considering F1 return...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
You mean it didn't cause any other failures.
Yup, that's what I meant. Clearly there were other issues.....
Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 PM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite the adversities presented by the track and weather, Vettel exited due to a blown engine - a problem Red Bull has had all season. Webber made a mistake and spun out.
Alonso kept his cool; managed his car/old engine/tires well and dealt with the adversities the best out of the top contenders... and won. Viva Espana!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
... shoot down Tilke's bad ideas and keep him in check. If Tavo Hellmund is to be believed, they are really trying hard to make the Austin track a classic. All my fingers and toes are crossed...
To be fair: the Korea track was not a Herman Tilke fully engaged solution, it was his company, with him just consulting. Still, if his name is on the letterhead, he should understand that the result will get him personally dinged.

Also, a track design cannot make up for the lack of elevation at the site. Nothing can be done about China, Bahrain, Singapore, Abu Dhabi or even Korea as a site.. they don't have elevation change and trying to force elevation change there would be expensive (build hillsides) and risky (they will probably sink back to ground level or cause other effects). If you want elevation change - which all good tracks should have in my book - you need to build the track on a site that has elevation differences.

I'd love to see races on the Nordschleife or at Hockenheim through the woods again, but the drivers group probably won't allow that, as well as the lawyers these days, because there are high risks there (getting emergency equipment to the crash sites). Ask Niki Lauda.

Tracks like Hungary and Spa are great because of elevation change. If Spa gets removed, I don't see the point of watching F1 anymore. The FIA will have let me down by allowing their franchise be run by someone with too much focus on profit and not enough on motorsport.

Yes, F1 is a profit seeking business, but its priorities should be: 1) Racing quality 2) Strengthening the sport and brand and 3) Profit.

It should not be trying to squeeze every penny out of every race site or playing the sites off of each other.

Quick Reply: Porsche considering F1 return...