Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the OEM touch up paint match? (arc silver)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 AM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Does the OEM touch up paint match? (arc silver)

Anyone used the Porsche touch up paint?

Trying to use left over paint from my bumper respray the body shop gave me on a couple of rock chips and it's too hard to work with. Tried thinning it, using toothpick, brush etc.

Thinking of trying the OEM. Does the arctic silver match pretty well? Body shop says the OEM silvers are always too dark.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the OEM on my Guards Red and the match is perfect. On metallic paints you might find that the touch up is a bit darker than the original. you REALLY need to mix metallic paints up well before applying them to distribute all of the different colors in the tube correctly.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:38 AM
porschedan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repainted my side mirror with spray cans from TouchUpPaintOnline.com. I have a silver car too but I don't know off the top of my head if it's the arctic silver.

With the touch up paint though, as TerpsRED said, you have to be a little more careful. Just shake it real well and apply multiple thin coats and it should match.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That's the fundamental issue with metallic paints. Without good flake distribution, how it comes out is anyone's guess.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM
porschedan
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Edgy01
That's the fundamental issue with metallic paints. Without good flake distribution, how it comes out is anyone's guess.
That's true, but there's no other options I can think of. Can't bust out the paint guns every time there's a tiny paint chip I have done some touch ups on other cars with metallic paint, I don't think you will really notice it afterward unless you are really looking hard for it.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

My seal grey touch up paint came out way too light on hood chips. Looks like silver. I've left the rest of the chips alone.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 AM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

Got the OEM paint today. $20.00. Worked WAY better than the left over paint they gave me from my bumper respray. Dabbbed on, smeared with finger, waited one minute or so, then wiped off excess with paint thinner. After several applications got a fairly level fill. Afraid to over fill and wet sand as recommended by some. Not perfect but pretty darn good. About to be covered by clearbra.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

As well as proper mixing I was told by 'an expert' to mix a bit of the lacquer to the paint before applying. Never tried it so don't know if its a good thing to do. Obviously before I do I will try it on a hidden area of the paintwork to see the result.

Also I always carry the bottles in my pocket for a while before mixing or applying. Having the paint at body temperature assists mixing and application.

Be prepared to spend at least 10 minutes mixing the touch up paints too.

Quick Reply: Does the OEM touch up paint match? (arc silver)