Sponsored by:

As good of a wheel cleaner as P21S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am looking for a good wheel cleaner with similar performance to P21S, that is just that gentle on the wheels/paint, but cheaper! P21S is great, but I almost can go through a bottle in one wash!
First of all, if you are using that much, you are using way too much wheel cleaner. What P21S is good for is allow you to rinse a good bit of the brake dust off the wheel, and then you follow up with sponge and soapy water. For that you only need to lightly coat the wheel surface.

I've been using P21S for years--I buy it in the big jug from carcareonline.com when he has it on sale as one of the monthly specials. A pint spray bottle's worth of P21 S lasts 6-10 washings.

As for an alternative product that costs less, and works as well. Not sure if there is any. But buying P21S in bulk will save you some money.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:52 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Griotts makes a really handy brush as well - http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

All plastic, won't scratch, durable, can get anywhere in the wheel. I have been using 1 of 3 for over a year now. So I guess a 3-pack will hold me for at least 3 years.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:43 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the executive summary is:

1. It should not take a bottle of P21S to clean the wheels if they are cleaned regularly

2. A brush or pressure washer may be required if you're using a lot of cleaner to clean the inside of the wheel which is difficult to clean with the wheels on the vehicle

3. Griots and P21S seem to clean about equally well

4. If you remove the wheels and clean them really well and then seal them with Wheelwax, ReJex or similar you can use car wash soap/water to easily clean the wheels typically 10-15 times before another coat of wax/sealer is required.

5. The use of any wheel cleaner removes wheel wax/sealer after just a few washings. Not sure how quickly Simple Green will remove sealer? I like car wash soap/water.

6. If you have really dirty wheels Sonax wheel cleaner will do a better job of cleaning in my experience in side-by-side tests, than P21S/Griots, which are good cleaners.

7. YMMV - Enjoy

Last edited by beentherebaby; 10-09-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used to use the P21S until I fell in love with Sonax!!! Awesome and 1 bottle lasts me at least 10 washes and is biofriendly as well!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:47 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ONR weekly, wax monthly.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
So the executive summary is:

1. It should not take a bottle of P21S to clean the wheels if they are cleaned regularly

2. A brush or pressure washer may be required if you're using a lot of cleaner to clean the inside of the wheel which is difficult to clean with the wheels on the vehicle

3. Griots and P21S seem to clean about equally well

4. If you remove the wheels and clean them really well and then seal them with Wheelwax, ReJex or similar you can use car wash soap/water to easily clean the wheels typically 10-15 times before another coat of wax/sealer is required.

5. The use of any wheel cleaner removes wheel wax/sealer after just a few washings. Not sure how quickly Simple Green will remove sealer? I like car wash soap/water.

6. If you have really dirty wheels Sonax wheel cleaner will do a better job of cleaning in my experience in side-by-side tests, than P21S/Griots, which are good cleaners.

7. YMMV - Enjoy
Thanks for the summary!

I think I need a pressure washer! The easiest time I had cleaning them was at parents house using a pressure washer, I just put a little bit of wheel cleaners, soaked for a cpl of mins, then pressure washed it and it went through the dirt in no time! At home I got one of those long arm wheel cleaner sponges, it requires a lot of work and lot of wheel cleaners!

One clarficiation... if I used P21S lightly with pressure washer, do I STILL need to wax it every single time? Does it take the wax right off?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 AM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagle 1 AtoZ Tire & Wheel Cleaner, hands down the best!
I've used it on Pcar, BMW and BBS wheels, with no issues, besides it also cleans your tires!
In combination with my power washer I rarely have to do any hand washing. I routinely buy SONAX and Wurth products for my cars, but when it comes to wheel cleaning I love Eagle1!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen any wheel cleaner that doesn't remove wheelwax or sealers much faster than car wash soap/water. I haven't tested Eagle 1's product but they have been known to use harsh chemicals be it caustics or acids so YMMV.

Quick Reply: As good of a wheel cleaner as P21S?