Sponsored by:

Center Caps - Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 PM
GrahamML
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center Caps - Gone!

I had the pleasure of donating my colored center caps on my wheels to the local youth in Clovis/Fresno this past weekend while there for a soccer tournament. Looks like I'll order new ones from Suncoast, but has anyone come up with a way to secure them a bit better or would that just lead to the ill-intentioned scratching my Classics as they try to prey them off?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad you can't just electrify them.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks, you can probably get them back. Look for a local ebay or craigslist ad, then have your justice. I seriously doubt another Porsche owner would do such a thing, so they'll be up for sale soon. They aren't so easy to get off when the wheel is on without the Porsche tool, basically properly bent wire.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 25 years ago kids would pull off a Mercedes-Benz star and wear it around the neck on a chain!

Maybe these guys are gonna make cufflinks for when thet dress up and weat a tie! The tie will be a fan belt!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I have a set you can have for a discounted price if I can find them. It's too damn hot to go out there and look right now (112 today here in So Cal), but I'll look later and post if I find them....
Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Lightly epoxy small disks of sheet metal to cover the holes on each cap from the back.

Assuming the little prks are using this tool, they will go away foiled.

When you need to get them off? Knock the epoxied disks out with small diameter punch. Of just remove wheel/tire and work on it from the back.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by todd.
That sucks, you can probably get them back. Look for a local ebay or craigslist ad, then have your justice. I seriously doubt another Porsche owner would do such a thing, so they'll be up for sale soon. They aren't so easy to get off when the wheel is on without the Porsche tool, basically properly bent wire.
There's a good chance that a "local" Porsche owner put out an "order" for a set of center caps....
Old 09-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I lost the front hood emblem on two BMWs, both times parking at night in San Francisco lots.
The kids here collect them. I was just glad that they did not scratch the hood prying them off and was an easy replacement. I would not make your new caps difficult to remove as the little jerks might damage your rims.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

These items are fairly cheap compared to our earlier center caps, which were metal and are somewhat expensive to replace. Those were designed in such a way to be secured from the backside with a ring and 3 small allen set screws. These cheap plastic caps just pop in and out, secured with about 3 little plastic clips molded into the base material along the perimeter. They were mostly likely removed with something like that little tool that some clever future felon designed. If this becomes a problem you can fill them in as suggested with something like JB Weld and then you will have to remove them only after removing the wheels. (Not a big deal). I believe some areas are simply more vulnerable than others. Clearly, Fresno is not a stellar area.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I believe some areas are simply more vulnerable than others. Clearly, Fresno is not a stellar area.
Understatement of the year ...
Old 10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Originally Posted by rdstemler
About 25 years ago kids would pull off a Mercedes-Benz star and wear it around the neck on a chain!

Maybe these guys are gonna make cufflinks for when thet dress up and weat a tie! The tie will be a fan belt!
I lost my MB Star at a restaurant in Escondido, CA back in the late 80's. I would still vaporize the little maggot If I could find him!

I feel your pain!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had my Porsche tire valve stems covers stolen only after one week of having them on. I know how you must feel.

Harvey

Quick Reply: Center Caps - Gone!